Size and comfort, Jeep or D90 - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 14th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Trey Garrett
1984 Land Rover 90
What you need is a Defender 130 for the guys at Red Mountain here in Birmingham. Now that is a car lot I can spend all day walking around.

Old September 14th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST
I have a family of 5 (and a couple of dogs that travel around too). The 90 works for us but it's also our 3rd vehicle and with our schedule we are hardly ever all in the same car at the same time. If we are that's when the Suburban gets used as the dogs are usually around for it too.

Size wise at 6' 3" you should be fine especially if you don't mind the P-car fit. I'm 6', 215 and can drive the 90 all day long and it's not bad. Granted I replaced the stock seats with some Corbeaus. But swapping seats in these rigs is pretty easy. I'd take evilfij's word for it as he's closer in height to you than me.

Like Brad said, the 90 can be used to transport up to 7 people. Right now I'm in a 5 person configuration - 2 up front, 3 jumpseats in the back with a storage box going were the 4th one was. The 2 person bench is probably safer overall but I do love the jumpseats in my rig. I updated the lapbelts with over both shoulder 3 point belts from Corbeau. Once the kids are in there and they are tighten up it's looks secure. I will post pics as I've been reworking it and still not done.

As you've own Jeeps, I think one of the biggest benefits of owning a Jeep or 90 is the ability to run with the top off. You mentioned SW but my kids love riding in our ST during the summer with the top off. Even with a mild lift, they climb in and out of it no problem. And with the jumpseats the Lab can hope into the back with ease. If you are not needing a softtop I'd give Zimm's post a good read. The G-Wagen and a later Toyota Land Cruiser would be nice options.

I have had our 90 for over 2 years. If you want something that's a turn key truck and comfy I'd say go Jeep 4 door. My brother in law just got a Sahara 4 door and I've driven it. I think that rig is more like a car than our Mercedes E500 Wagon - A/C, PW, PDL, easy to get in and out, quiet, etc, etc. And even when the 90 is running fine, there always seems to be a project for it but I love it - seeing all the 4 door jeeps in the area, I enjoy having something a little different and something with my own blood and sweat into.

Old September 14th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"
Originally Posted by Leo O'Farrell View Post
That's sortof what I was thinking, a hard top (station wagen) with the jump seats. Do you get the seventh seat in the middle of the front?
I'm actually running a soft top but have the same seating as the SW. I took out the center console and put the radio in the dash and then, yes, the seventh seat is in the middle front.

I'm 6'1", 195#: this configuration using all seats is tight and won't work for a lot of people... but it works well for us!
"well... we're not building a piano"
Old September 14th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Wade Garrett
1994 defender 90
I'll second what Don said. I am 6'3" and I have plenty of room in my D-90 and then some. I have owned jeeps in the past, and while they proved to be more reliable & more driver friendly, I love the defender. I have a hard top with jump seats and love the setup.
Old September 14th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
If you like your Jeeps, get a 4 door JK and be happy.
Old September 14th, 2010, 04:08 PM
anyone moves..... #238 sold
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
What you need is a Defender 130 for the guys at Red Mountain here in Birmingham. Now that is a car lot I can spend all day walking around.

i always wished they made a defender 120 high cap, or something. just enough space for tall folks and extra gear lockdown, w/o alllllll that wheelbase.
Old September 16th, 2010, 11:39 AM
94 / D90 #79
6'6" 290lbs and fit perfect...tons of head room in the D90 with amble leg room. I get a bit stiff on longer hauls because of the narrow shoulder room.

As for a Jeep, my knees hit the center dash console, not so in the D90.

Old September 20th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Tom / Nicholson
'94 D-90 #336
We have a 1994 D-90 with the four troop seats in the back. My four kids love it! Our family of 6 climbs in it as an antidote for any other box that can be bought. I'm 6'4" and the headroom is fantastic! The sitting angle is comfortable for me as well. My kids will exceed the headroom available in the back at some point, but that will be about when they can drive anyway. We LOVE this truck, and drive it every chance we get. Our kids (12,11,7,1) have a riot every time we road trip in it. But you must get a roof rack for the luggage. Also, make sure the one you buy has not had it's rear bumper removed because that step makes a big difference to access the back of the truck. These seem to fetch a good price separately, and many owners sell them before the vehicle.

Good luck!
Old September 20th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Chris Vitale
'95 D90 ST 2.8L TDi #2050
Tom, where does the one year old go?...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

90, d90