Sighting - All Black 110 - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 29th, 2008, 09:58 AM
golden747
Tim Golden
Defender 130

my bad. but to say things like Hmmmm.....and "thats illegal" makes it sound like we are a shady company. if anyone decides to purchase one of my vehicles, and has any trouble with getting it registered in their state, I'll buy the car back for 100% of the purchase price. I've sold quite a few non NAS trucks over the years with no problems.Also about the overpricing. How can you say thats too high? Take a 93 110 with a 3.9 and 85000 miles, people believe that car is worth $50,000.My truck has a title,and is twice the truck and i'm only asking 8000 more than that. i dont understand how you can say im asking too much.in the past year, i've sold several non nas trucks for over 50000 and one td5 110 for 69000 so i quess if people pay that, im not pricing my cars too high.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 29th, 2008, 10:05 AM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Tim,

You should know from the get-go that offering anything besides a NAS D would raise eyebrows and one would think that you'd have an automated response, or no response at all. You've already been praised on this board, why ruin your image?
Old November 29th, 2008, 10:29 AM
golden747
Tim Golden
Defender 130

Sorry Neil, you're right. enough said
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 29th, 2008, 02:32 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden747
Sorry Neil, you're right. enough said
Also, keep in mind too, as far as Defender pricing goes- we around here on D-90.com, have, for the most part, a different take. I am sure there are people out there that'll pay your prices, Copley's prices, and Park City's prices, etc in a heartbeat.... but we are a different crowd. It's nothing personal, and I don't think anyone is trying to be insulting
Old November 29th, 2008, 03:39 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden747
my bad. but to say things like Hmmmm.....and "thats illegal" makes it sound like we are a shady company. if anyone decides to purchase one of my vehicles, and has any trouble with getting it registered in their state, I'll buy the car back for 100% of the purchase price. I've sold quite a few non NAS trucks over the years with no problems.Also about the overpricing. How can you say thats too high? Take a 93 110 with a 3.9 and 85000 miles, people believe that car is worth $50,000.My truck has a title,and is twice the truck and i'm only asking 8000 more than that. i dont understand how you can say im asking too much.in the past year, i've sold several non nas trucks for over 50000 and one td5 110 for 69000 so i quess if people pay that, im not pricing my cars too high.
You're right, I hope you find a plentiful supply of people who think your trucks are worth those prices. To someone unwilling or unable to import or build such a vehicle, they probably are worth those prices. In my opinion, its a bad value, but that's me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old November 29th, 2008, 04:39 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Were non NAS 93s td5s or was that truck built to be a td5?
Old November 29th, 2008, 08:52 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Not that I care or know where that truck came from, but just because everyone here is 125% sure of all this. This text is taken from NHTSA import form HS-7 and is what JimC was getting at:

"6. The vehicle does not conform to all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety, Bumper, and Theft Prevention Standards, but I am eligible to import it because all of the following conditions exist

a. I am a member of a foreign government on assignment in the United States, or a member of the Secretariat of a public international organization so designated under the International Organizations Immunities Act, and within the class of persons for whom free entry of motor vehicles has been authorized by the Department of State:
b. I am importing the vehicle on a temporary basis for my personal use, and will register it through the Office of Foreign Missions of the Department of State;
c. I will not sell the vehicle to any person in the United States, other than a person eligible to import a vehicle under this paragraph;
d. I will obtain from the Office of Foreign Missions of the State Department, before departing the United States at the conclusion of a tour of duty, an ownership title to the vehicle good for export only; and e. I have attached a copy of my official orders. [591.5(h)(1)]
Name of Embassy: _______________________________________________ Attachment: Copy of Official Orders.
e. I have attached a copy of my official orders. [591.5(h)(2)]"

Having said that. There is a way around it. The guy at Rover Special Vehicles uses this loop-hole for his vehicles (so I am told by folks that say they know). Don't know how (don't wanna know). I'm happy with NAS trucks.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf
Were non NAS 93s td5s or was that truck built to be a td5?
1998 was the first year of the Td5.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old December 4th, 2008, 04:26 AM
ORover
Fred
NAS 110s #24 and #466

Last year when I was in the market for a 110, I looked at ALL possibilities. My finding was that if I were to buy a post 1983 imported 110, i ran into a risk of liability. Let's say my brother in law borrows my 110, drives off a cliff with a bunch of passengers and things get ugly with the ambulance chasers. All of a sudden it's (potentially) an illegal car. A 1993 NAS 110 was the only rig for me at the end of the day as there's never any 'splaining to do. Very happy I made the choice for several other reasons too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Not that I care or know where that truck came from, but just because everyone here is 125% sure of all this. This text is taken from NHTSA import form HS-7 and is what JimC was getting at:

"6. The vehicle does not conform to all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety, Bumper, and Theft Prevention Standards, but I am eligible to import it because all of the following conditions exist

a. I am a member of a foreign government on assignment in the United States, or a member of the Secretariat of a public international organization so designated under the International Organizations Immunities Act, and within the class of persons for whom free entry of motor vehicles has been authorized by the Department of State:
b. I am importing the vehicle on a temporary basis for my personal use, and will register it through the Office of Foreign Missions of the Department of State;
c. I will not sell the vehicle to any person in the United States, other than a person eligible to import a vehicle under this paragraph;
d. I will obtain from the Office of Foreign Missions of the State Department, before departing the United States at the conclusion of a tour of duty, an ownership title to the vehicle good for export only; and e. I have attached a copy of my official orders. [591.5(h)(1)]
Name of Embassy: _______________________________________________ Attachment: Copy of Official Orders.
e. I have attached a copy of my official orders. [591.5(h)(2)]"

Having said that. There is a way around it. The guy at Rover Special Vehicles uses this loop-hole for his vehicles (so I am told by folks that say they know). Don't know how (don't wanna know). I'm happy with NAS trucks.

Follow-up Post:

1998 was the first year of the Td5.
Old December 4th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Davis M
HDM
'93 Defender 110

A year or so ago, a friend had me check out a CT110 [support vehicle, I believe] offered for sale at a local dealer. The vehicle was actually from an earlier year, but had a title and registration as a 1993 110 in the state it was being sold. There was also a letter from the current owner outlining its pedigree and importation to the US. I have no doubt it was the real deal, but just to be on the safe side, I rang up the DOT (hmmm, it might have been the NHTSA...I remember calling both agencies) with the VIN to see if I could find out a bit more information. I was able to get all sorts of interesting facts about how and when it entered the country, the company assisting in its import, as well as its final status. As it turned out, the vehicle never actually received a Federal blessing; indeed, its import had been officially denied twice with the last file notation indicating formal letters had been sent to both the importer and owner demanding the vehicle be removed from use on public highways and/or exported out of the country. The agency apparently assumed its demand had been complied with since no further correspondence had been received from the owner the file was closed. I suspect the vehicle had some sort of temporary imporation allowance up to that point. How it ended up on the street at a dealer twelve years later with a legal title is beyond me. I did note a long gap before its first titling on the right coast as well as a long period without registration after being re-titled on the left coast. Perhaps it was in a collection, a museum, or used on a private ranch? Im no expert on such things, but I reckon a Federal importation denial [not to mention demand for its removal from the road] probably trumps any subsequent issuance of title; if so, that would make for a nasty fight with an insurance carrier if there was ever a major claim. Another issue, I surmised, was that the new owner would be required to disclose the potential of a title defect to any future buyer which might make future resale a bit more difficult. Anyway, my buddy passed on the vehicle. It sold within a month to someone.
Old December 5th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Overland90
Chris
95/D90 #169; Aston Martin

Registry
The Black one sighted was probably Tommy Hilfiger's (clothing designer)...beautiful truck...sold to a lucky guy local to LA for a very low price...rumor has it in the $40,000s
Old December 6th, 2008, 12:08 AM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

odd that it is advertised and I suppose titled as a 1993 but the VIN # is clearly from a 2000 model. Makes you go HMMM.
Old December 7th, 2008, 09:10 PM
grnthng
Luis A. Costa
'93 Range Rover County LWB

Hey give that guy a Valiumm, whow.... I have a 110 sighting, I travel the NJ & PA pike every night and the section of the PA pike between Valley Forge and the NJ pike ( which is I-276) there is a Jaguar & Land Rover dealer rite off the highway and you can see their whole lot. There is a white 110 with full r.rack that has been sitting there for about 1week and half almost.... for service$$$$$.... possible trade-in.

Can't find my atlas, but that is a Philly N.west suburb.
Old December 7th, 2008, 09:12 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

cherry hill?
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags