Should I hold onto the D90? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 18th, 2008, 10:00 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

Should I hold onto the D90?

I was looking forsome real life advice maybe with some anecdotes from personal experiences. I have increasingly grown tired of the D90 as my only vehicle for the obvious gas prices reasons, slow highway cruising, and my unwillingness to put tons of miles on a rare truck. I've considered selling it all together and cashing in on whatever I can get - seems like the market would be very soft right now based on the economy and oil prices. However I love this truck, but my concern is that if I park it 1)I won't be using the vehicle when someone else could enjoy 2) they may be on the verge of drastic depreciation based on a variety of factors and 3)the consequences of storing a vehicle. With all of this said should I keep her? Adding to the dilemma is the relative rarity of my truck in that its one of 100 or so of the red wagons from 1997 and one of even fewer with a Rimmer Supercharger system. I realize how opened ended this is but any input would help.
Advertisement

Old June 18th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Buy a very cheap, fuel efficient daily driver. Keep the D90! You would miss it if it was gone.......

Flagg
Old June 18th, 2008, 10:29 PM
JJB622
Jimmy Baker
1997 BRG D90

The thing about getting a fuel efficient daily is you end up spending most of you're time in that instead of the D90--not to mention you end up spending $$ that could go towards gas for the 90 on a vehicle with a steeper depreciation curve.

. I wouldn't let it sit--if you're not sure about selling it, float it out at a high price and see if anyone bites. If you get serious about selling it, I would put it back to stock. The Rimmer isn't everyones cup of tea, but someone will pay up for it separately.

What are you looking to get? I think a Lotus Elise would be cool if you're looking for a fuel efficient but still fun car (not the most practical but you've had a d90).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 18th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
Sell it. Gas could be $8.00 soon! Plus you can have so much fun driving for miles and miles in a Yaris or a Civic.

Ok, for real, keep it. Drive it, enjoy it, sell it when you are really done. Sounds to me like you may regret it.
Old June 18th, 2008, 11:05 PM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins
'95 AA Yellow & '97 Willow Green

As someone who sold their D90 I'll say don't do it. You'll miss it. Now that I've bought another one unless I'm really hungry I won't be parting with it. Also it is not my daily driver. I need something quiet that I can be one of those people driving whilst on the phone all the time so I have a Range Rover for that. I probably put 25-50 miles a week on the D90 driving it on days I know I can get away with it or over the weekend some. Otherwise it stays clean parked in its spot in the garage. It doesn't hurt its feelings to not be driven every day. I can understand your frustration since my LE was my only vehicle for a while and I was commuting in horrible traffic over 60 miles a day in it.

The economy is not as bad as some 24/7 news pundits make it out to be. I don't anticipate a rapid depreciation in the prices of NAS D90s because of a blip in the market or the value of the US dollar. I've been around Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-40s all my life and prices on them are just as ridiculous as ever with no reason to think it will change. I bought my first D90 eight years ago now and prices today are just as bonkers as they were then - for both the Copley trucks like I bought and for the worn out high mileage ones as well.
Old June 18th, 2008, 11:17 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

Thanks for the input so far. I meant to clarify this earlier which might also explain my position more. If I keep the D90 it is more than likely going to be parked for the next 9 months full time in a garage since the red is now due for a serious detail and I'm tired of parking it outside. If I keep it I am going to purchase a sporty ride in the 8-12k range and drive that full time. I'm entering my final year of law school so there's little reason to keep two cars at my crappy place at a time. The converse would obviously be to sell the D90 and take the proceeds and buy something even more ridiculous (E39 M5, Porsche 993, etc).
Old June 19th, 2008, 12:04 AM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

I sold mine for a couple of the same reasons you're talking about selling yours, and within the month I started shopping around for a new one. A year later I am still looking for the right one (i'm picky as all hell, and just now have the time to really put into looking for the right truck). i'd say if you are at all hesitant, don't do it. I was hesitant, but did what I could to convince myself that it was the right move. When it first sold I was relieved, but after a couple days I was kicking myself.
Old June 19th, 2008, 01:00 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Your lawyer salary will make these financial considerations moot unless you are looking at going to work for a non profit or something.

That being said, your lawyer work schedule might make the rest of your life, including the d90, moot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old June 19th, 2008, 01:57 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

"I think a Lotus Elise would be cool if you're looking for a fuel efficient but still fun car (not the most practical but you've had a d90)."

Highly recommended for the recovering D90 owner. Mine even had electrical issues and seat rails that were loose. Made me feel right at home.

"That being said, your lawyer work schedule might make the rest of your life, including the d90, moot."

Very true. I am posting at 2am waiting for some more work to come in.

Ron

PS most lawyers starting out make about 50k a year. Only 10-15% make six figures right away so unless you are at Harvard don't count your chickens before they hatch.
Old June 19th, 2008, 03:18 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

It is right what people say about fuel effecient daily drivers and money going toward the Defender instead............I am not going to argue...........BUT..........here's my story.......

I am the original owner of my truck - but I did not own it for 4 years in the middle.

It was my daily driver for 7 years. When my commute went from 15 miles a day, to 65 - It took 2-3 years, but I grew tired of it (as you say). I loved the truck - but almost all 65 miles were highway - and we all know this is not the best pure highway driver. And putting TONS of yearly mileage on the truck did not make sence either - so I told myself.

I sold it to one of my best friends. Felt good at first - THEN ALWAYS MISSED IT.

I bought the same truck back when he was selling after 4 years. It is not my daily anymore. But I do not feel bad that I don't drive it every day. It fits in my personal life better. And I love it just as much - and don't plan to make the same mistake again by selling.

If you love your truck - find a way to hang on to it. My opinion...........Flagg
Old June 19th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Lucasd2002
David Lucas
[VACANT]

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
most lawyers starting out make about 50k a year.
Does that include older people who graduate and go into intellectual property/patent work?

--------------------

Christian- even though the D90 AC sucks in the Columbia heat, I would hold onto it if I were you. My guess is you would miss it. Buy a boxster, 3-series, mini-cooper, s2000, etc in your price range. Feel free to send me a message- I know some people in your field down there.
Old June 19th, 2008, 06:37 AM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Don't do it, these things track you down and make you buy them. I sold mine in February, and by April a new one found it's way to my garage. I hid it away from my wife and I fed it and gave it a place to stay and now it won't leave.
Old June 19th, 2008, 09:45 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Well, we are all a tad bit biased around here, but I vote for keeping it as well. There are plenty of stories floating around here about true Defender enthusiasts who sold their Defenders because they thought it was the right thing to do int heir life, and ended up regretting it, and many buying another some time later. That's fine if you are in a position to do so later, but you may never have the truck you want again, and may always fondly remember the one you sold.

As for buying a daily driver, I think that comes down more to preference than money. Lets face it, the $8-$12K you are willing to spend on a daily driver will buy allot of fuel and maintenance for your Defender, not to mention the added costs of insuring and maintaining the additional vehicle. However, if you just need something more 'compliant' for everyday commuting, then it may make sense for you. You said you wanted something sporty, my vote would be a Mazda Miata. Plenty of nice examples can be had in the price range you have specified, they are lots of fun, comfortable enough on the highway, decent fuel efficiency, change the oil and put gas in the tank reliable, and arguably as much fun as a Lotus on the back roads

But I'm Biased, here is my daily driver (quite the difference switching back and forth to the Defender though!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Quarter.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	13901   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Quarter2.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	13902  

Old June 19th, 2008, 02:40 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
I vote for keeping it. I went through the same dilemma about a year ago when I was finishing school. I ended up keeping the 90 and bought a very sporty toyota camry.... okay so it's not really that sporty but it was a solid decision. Now I drive the camry most days to work, and I have actually found that I kind of like driving around a beater. It blows very cold air, gets great gas mileage on regular gas, and even has leather and a sunroof.

Honestly driving the camry most days makes me really enjoy and savor the times that I drive rover
Old June 19th, 2008, 04:00 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Hey, nice 2000 SE. I had one of the Evo Orange cars and then a 2001 BRG SE. Great cars. A little unrefined, but positively Lexus-like in comparison to the Defender.

Old June 19th, 2008, 04:10 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Post some pics. I might have a good home for it.
Old June 19th, 2008, 06:02 PM
xmod
Jeremy/Sturgeon
97 NAS D90 ST

I don't think 9 mos is too long for it to sit somewhere. Once you finish school you may be busy but you'll be glad you kept it.
Old June 19th, 2008, 06:42 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Add my vote to the "Don't do it" group.
Go back and re-read your own post but pretend another guy on the board wrote it. What would you advise him? It sure does not sound like you are ready to part with it yet.
Quit trying to rationalize selling it because of the mileage or soft market or that not using it denies others the ability to enjoy it. That's crap. None of that matters one bit, and I'd wager that deep down, you would agree.
You said so yourself...you love the truck. Why deny yourself? It is a unique truck that you would be hard pressed to ever replicate.

You'll know when (or if) it is time to ever get rid of it; and when (or if) that time comes, you'll feel OK about it.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 11:23 PM
Art Vigil
Arthur Vigil
None

Christian - trust me. You'll regret it.
Buy a POS daily driver, it'll pay for itself in gas in a few months and save the wear on your real vehicle.

Best,
Art Vigil
(former owner of your D90)
'95 RRC - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'72 Series III 88" NADA Turner 2.25 petrol (Lovely Rita)
'95 RRC Brooklands/TWR Edition 3.9V8
'97 D90SW NAS #2426 - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'95 D90ST NAS#2620 - Original owner
Old June 23rd, 2008, 02:29 AM
NashvilleRover
Dendy Jarrett
2009 LR3- Well Built

Heck: Ride a bicycle to class (not sure if you can do that at USC anymore. I used to do it back in the 80's when I was there). KEEP THE 90!
If you decide to sell. My sis lives there and she wants a 90 bad! Let me know.

Dendy Jarrett
nashvillerover@comcast.net

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90