Should I hold onto the D90? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old June 23rd, 2008, 07:55 AM
dmarchand's Avatar
dmarchand
Status: Offline
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New England
Posts: 2,862
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vigil
Christian - trust me. You'll regret it.
Buy a POS daily driver, it'll pay for itself in gas in a few months and save the wear on your real vehicle.

Best,
Art Vigil
(former owner of your D90)
Damn Art, here I am trying to convince him to sell your truck to me....

Hope you are well.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #22  
Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:44 AM
jordan0527's Avatar
jordan0527
Status: Offline
Jordan
97 D90 ST, 04 D2
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vigil
Christian - trust me. You'll regret it.
Buy a POS daily driver, it'll pay for itself in gas in a few months and save the wear on your real vehicle.

Best,
Art Vigil
(former owner of your D90)

Honestly, need this thread continue? I love this site.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old June 23rd, 2008, 02:16 PM
jgoodyear
Status: Offline
Juan Goodyear
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: columbus, OH
Posts: 9
RE: Should I hold onto the D90

I was in the same place, 4 years ago. I had a 1994 D90 ST #1039 it was my daily driver, I owned it for 5 or 6 years. I loved it but Man it got hard to put up with the wind noise the leaking top, and the fact that i was planning on a family. 35" tires sure make a lot of nosie on the highway. Plus its Hard to put a child seat in a D90. I sold it with 95K or so on the od, for 17k.. I felt that was about a fiar price.. Do I miss the turck, Yes, but It really was not going to be to useful to me in the comming years, and I figured someone else should ejoy it. I have driven and owned several cars, Jags, MGs Austin Healeys.. the D90 may have gotten the most compliments.

That said, I regret it a little but life goes on. Plus i can always look at my pictures.

http://www.evilmex.com/photos/index....r_90_Muddy.jpg

Juan Goodyear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtg067i
I was looking forsome real life advice maybe with some anecdotes from personal experiences. I have increasingly grown tired of the D90 as my only vehicle for the obvious gas prices reasons, slow highway cruising, and my unwillingness to put tons of miles on a rare truck. I've considered selling it all together and cashing in on whatever I can get - seems like the market would be very soft right now based on the economy and oil prices. However I love this truck, but my concern is that if I park it 1)I won't be using the vehicle when someone else could enjoy 2) they may be on the verge of drastic depreciation based on a variety of factors and 3)the consequences of storing a vehicle. With all of this said should I keep her? Adding to the dilemma is the relative rarity of my truck in that its one of 100 or so of the red wagons from 1997 and one of even fewer with a Rimmer Supercharger system. I realize how opened ended this is but any input would help.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #24  
Old June 23rd, 2008, 04:12 PM
tallest1
Status: Offline
john derosa
95 D90 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: fairfield, ct
Posts: 146
i'm in the same position as the others as well. in 2002 i bought my 97 ST and then regrettably sold it in 2004. i totally regretted it for nearly 4 yrs and ended up buying my 95 SW last fall and am so happy!

so, don't sell it...
__________________
~95 D90 SW~
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:44 PM
Flagg's Avatar
Flagg
Status: Offline
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Columbia, MD 21046
Posts: 738
I guess he could sell it- IF he wants to go through that 'made a mistake.....' thing.

And then he has to spend countless time and energy over the next several years finding one to buy again. AND probably (in his case) not ending up with one as nice as the one he has............and always thinking back on his first one...........

Yeah, I guess he could do that...........Flagg
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old June 23rd, 2008, 09:27 PM
Neil McCauley's Avatar
Neil McCauley
Status: Offline
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,366
The only rovers I never regretted selling was my 89 RRC SWB and 99 DiscoII. The guy who bought my Disco II totalled it like a month ago, I was like "hooray!" and offered him to come over for steaks.
__________________
A guy told me one time "don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat from around the corner"

Robert Deniro
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old March 18th, 2009, 12:50 PM
gtg067i's Avatar
gtg067i
Status: Offline
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 307
Temple of Doom Economy Forcing Sale?

Resurrecting an old thread here...

I did hold onto the D90 and its been fine having it for the last 9 months especially with how little I drive. My girlfriend moved to Savannah for med school and the flat terrain between here and there actually allows me to average around 75 mph on the highway. That said I'm at a major crossroads with the truck and life in general. I am about to leave law school and have since had my offer at the firm I work at rescinded due to the economy. Based on the economy I can only expect things in the legal community to get worse...Therefore I'm considering parting ways in order to sustain myself through the next 6-12 months. With that said I was hoping you all could get some info on what you think my asking price should be. I love this thing and know it inside and out so can be thorough with details as follows:

1997 D90 Wagon Portofino Red (1 or 102)
97.5k miles...the last 25 of which are about 90% cruising
Rimmer Eaton M62 Supercharger
Rockware Bumper with Superwinch s9000 with skid plate
Rock Sliders and rear corner guards
White Wolfs mounted with 33" BFG
OEM Safari Rack
4 Hella 2000s on the roll cage and 2 hella 5000 on the bullbar
Custom installed stereo with alpine/ipod/components custom in doors, etc
Have extra set of Deep Dish Wheels
Hella E Code Headlights
Lifted on OME springs and Rancho shocks

Bad Condition:
Paint is fading from poor repaint on the bonnet...could use respray
Dented right front fender (never got to fix after part went on back order)
Seat bases in front both cracked
Bumper, sliders, corner guards, and rear bumper need to be repowdercoated
Slight surface rust on rear body mounting tabs
Quarter sized rust on every door in bottom corner
Sometimes high idles after long highway trips...think its stuck throttle body
Clock sometimes loses time by an hour magically
Right front marker light out
Headliner in back beginning to sag
Front Windows need to be retinted
Heater cables stick...need to be adjusted and generally fixed up (too damn hot in SC anyways to need it)
Clearcoat on passenger door(from stupid body shop of previous owner) is peeling

Good:
No leaks...you think I'm kidding but I'm not
Transmission shifts great
Engine runs very well ...great power in town...no overheating issues in 100 degree GA or SC summers
Supercharger (of course)
Rarity of paint

Sorry for the novel but wanted to get as much out there as possible
__________________
I require your largest, cheapest, most alcoholic brewed beverage.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old March 18th, 2009, 01:02 PM
evilfij's Avatar
evilfij
Status: Offline
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on the internet
Posts: 14,688
"I am about to leave law school and have since had my offer at the firm I work at rescinded due to the economy."

That sucks.

Is your firm one of the ones on abovethelaw that was mentioned as rescinding offers?

I think you should ask 20k and be flexible on price. Pictures would really add to what we could give as guidance.
__________________
*not legal advice*
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old March 18th, 2009, 01:33 PM
gtg067i's Avatar
gtg067i
Status: Offline
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 307
From not too long ago about a year I guess...
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=14082

I will get more pictures of the specific problem areas....I think its a great truck and honestly those are every single issue with the truck. I think everything could be fixed for under 3k and maybe less.

Has the economy killed the market for these so much that my truck lost 10k in value in 4 years...or is mine considered poor condition and high mileage next to everyone elses?
__________________
I require your largest, cheapest, most alcoholic brewed beverage.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old March 18th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Departing90
Status: Offline
Sasha
95 D90
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Santa Monica, CA. USA
Posts: 401
Its a gas guzzler! There is no question about it. I regret not having one but not because its was a Defender but because it was just a plain great truck. The ride is harsh, wind noise & some parts can be expensive etc...... If you dont need the $, i would say keep it.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old March 18th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Lucasd2002's Avatar
Lucasd2002
Status: Offline
David Lucas
[VACANT]
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 224
Are you looking for IP jobs?

What is your undergrad degree?
__________________
Looking for the perfect Rover.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old March 18th, 2009, 04:44 PM
gtg067i's Avatar
gtg067i
Status: Offline
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucasd2002
Are you looking for IP jobs?

What is your undergrad degree?
I'd like to get into IP... I have a BS from Georgia Tech but unfortunately its in international relations. I am considering going back and getting an engineering degree with an eye toward IP work. I have a technical background with several semesters in calc, bio, chem, etc. I think I can finish an eng. degree in 4-5 semesters if I return.
__________________
I require your largest, cheapest, most alcoholic brewed beverage.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old March 18th, 2009, 05:12 PM
JimC's Avatar
JimC
Status: Offline
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 7,154
Registry
Lots of sectors of scientific research got stimulus money, might be the right time to sign up for as a researcher/phd candidate. Fully funded of course.
__________________
Jim Cheney

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old March 18th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Lucasd2002's Avatar
Lucasd2002
Status: Offline
David Lucas
[VACANT]
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtg067i
I'd like to get into IP... I have a BS from Georgia Tech but unfortunately its in international relations. I am considering going back and getting an engineering degree with an eye toward IP work. I have a technical background with several semesters in calc, bio, chem, etc. I think I can finish an eng. degree in 4-5 semesters if I return.
You don't have to have the degree if you meet the minimum number of technical credits.

edit: see category B here on the PTO's website
__________________
Looking for the perfect Rover.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old March 18th, 2009, 08:10 PM
rover4x4's Avatar
rover4x4
Status: Offline
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Old North State
Posts: 7,522
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtg067i
Resurrecting an old thread here...

I did hold onto the D90 and its been fine having it for the last 9 months especially with how little I drive. My girlfriend moved to Savannah for med school and the flat terrain between here and there actually allows me to average around 75 mph on the highway. That said I'm at a major crossroads with the truck and life in general. I am about to leave law school and have since had my offer at the firm I work at rescinded due to the economy. Based on the economy I can only expect things in the legal community to get worse...Therefore I'm considering parting ways in order to sustain myself through the next 6-12 months. With that said I was hoping you all could get some info on what you think my asking price should be. I love this thing and know it inside and out so can be thorough with details as follows:

1997 D90 Wagon Portofino Red (1 or 102)
97.5k miles...the last 25 of which are about 90% cruising
Rimmer Eaton M62 Supercharger
Rockware Bumper with Superwinch s9000 with skid plate
Rock Sliders and rear corner guards
White Wolfs mounted with 33" BFG
OEM Safari Rack
4 Hella 2000s on the roll cage and 2 hella 5000 on the bullbar
Custom installed stereo with alpine/ipod/components custom in doors, etc
Have extra set of Deep Dish Wheels
Hella E Code Headlights
Lifted on OME springs and Rancho shocks

Bad Condition:
Paint is fading from poor repaint on the bonnet...could use respray
Dented right front fender (never got to fix after part went on back order)
Seat bases in front both cracked
Bumper, sliders, corner guards, and rear bumper need to be repowdercoated
Slight surface rust on rear body mounting tabs
Quarter sized rust on every door in bottom corner
Sometimes high idles after long highway trips...think its stuck throttle body
Clock sometimes loses time by an hour magically
Right front marker light out
Headliner in back beginning to sag
Front Windows need to be retinted
Heater cables stick...need to be adjusted and generally fixed up (too damn hot in SC anyways to need it)
Clearcoat on passenger door(from stupid body shop of previous owner) is peeling

Good:
No leaks...you think I'm kidding but I'm not
Transmission shifts great
Engine runs very well ...great power in town...no overheating issues in 100 degree GA or SC summers
Supercharger (of course)
Rarity of paint

Sorry for the novel but wanted to get as much out there as possible


I saw your truck on I26 a year or so ago, it was good looking. I hate you may have to be parting with it. I am on the fence about selling my Defender also. I am lucky to have a job but need to finance a house. I imagine I could always find another D90 but I just hate the thought of someone else having mine.
__________________
Poor gas mileage gets you to the best places on earth
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old March 18th, 2009, 08:15 PM
cgalpin's Avatar
cgalpin
Status: Offline
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 11,624
Registry
Regardless of the economy and your concerns about getting a good job, don't sell! Park it if you have to, and run it once a month or so, but don't sell. You will regret it. I'd rather have my D90 on jack stands (or with the fuel tank out of it say) then not have it

charles
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1997, D90 50,000 miles or less JMPDIV82 Defender Technical Discussions 8 October 25th, 2005 10:34 PM
D90 won't start! rover4x4 Defender Technical Discussions 32 June 13th, 2005 08:42 AM
D90 Tshirts norros Misc. Chit-Chat 16 March 8th, 2005 11:05 AM
Looking for a wrecked D90 or D90 frame & body mdb77 Defender Technical Discussions 17 January 11th, 2005 09:54 PM
94, AA Yellow D90 Zimbo76 For Sale - Vehicles 9 October 27th, 2004 10:39 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 AM.


Copyright