Should I actually be considering this? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 22nd, 2005, 03:54 PM
xmod
Jeremy/Sturgeon
97 NAS D90 ST

I'd also be interested in other shops that perform diesel conversions, particularly if there are reputable west coast shops. Until this thread, I had never heard of BW Overland. I too thought ECR was the only shop with a lot of experience in these mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 22nd, 2005, 04:18 PM
mpodgorski
martin
'94 D90 ST Arles

the defender owned in Miami that is being SOLD for 40k is a guy that is moving to Alaska. I personally think a better area to enjoy the defender. He had is conversion done by the 4x4 center in Wiliston Vermont.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 04:31 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmod
I'd also be interested in other shops that perform diesel conversions, particularly if there are reputable west coast shops. Until this thread, I had never heard of BW Overland. I too thought ECR was the only shop with a lot of experience in these mods.
Closest reputable shop to you I know of is Frontier Rovers . Jim Pendleton is the man you want to get a hold of there. He goes by Pendy on this board. Sheki had his 2.8 done by him. They are in CO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 22nd, 2005, 08:39 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
I too am very interested in converting my 97 D90 to diesel (2.8 Powerstroke). I checked with ECR, and at first they would not even try and give me a quote. They mentioned how parts pricing fluctuates etc etc. I inquired about a galv chassis and the diesel, along with some other minor work. For a 2.8 and the chassis, the price was roughly $40K. Add re-paint, SS bolt kit, exhaust work, and the figure went to $75K.
I tell you what, come over to my house and I will get you an installed galvanized frame, 2.8, all the ss bolts you want, and a swift hard kick in the nuts for $30,000. Even with the kick in the balls, you'll still love me because I only ripped you off for $12,000 instead of 22k. Man, am I in the wronge business.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 11:13 AM
xmod
Jeremy/Sturgeon
97 NAS D90 ST

Thanks David M and David B. David B, you ought to do it as a side business, especially if you can complete the job in 3 days. I haven't checked out any of your project pics, but I might take you up on the job (minus the kick in the balls).
Old September 23rd, 2005, 11:40 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Ha. Their are companies in the UK that specialize in doing a frame swap in one day, in your own driveway.

I've never seen it myself.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 06:40 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
The diesel makes them hit the windshield at a 2to1 ratio over gas. But your getting married, so just sell both and buy a minivan.
LOL.. Diavid is right and I am getting 20-22mpg also..
Old September 23rd, 2005, 06:41 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
The diesel makes them hit the windshield at a 2to1 ratio over gas. But your getting married, so just sell both and buy a minivan.
LOL.. Diavid is right and I am getting 20-22mpg also..
Old September 23rd, 2005, 10:03 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Thanks David M and David B. David B, you ought to do it as a side business, especially if you can complete the job in 3 days. I haven't checked out any of your project pics, but I might take you up on the job (minus the kick in the balls).
Sorry to tell you this, but I only sell it as a kit. If I do the swap, I also have to kick you in the balls, company policy.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 10:24 PM
RoverChic
D-90 Source P.I.
02 D2, 13 E350 AMG, 11 Ford F350

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Sorry to tell you this, but I only sell it as a kit. If I do the swap, I also have to kick you in the balls, company policy.
LOL Now that was funny!!

Jesse JUST DO IT!! (Insert Heavy Peer Pressure Here )!
Old September 26th, 2005, 02:02 PM
xmod
Jeremy/Sturgeon
97 NAS D90 ST

coincidentally, this was just posted on ECR's site:

NOTICE/BLOG: SEPT. 2005
Even though fuel prices are going up these days due to recent world events, a Tdi conversion for your NAS Defender is not a viable solution to cut your Defenders operating costs. At todays fuel prices (9/23/05) it will still take you about 10 years to pay back the diesel conversion costs vs. running your EFI V8. So if you love the low end grunt, range, simplicity and off road ability of a diesel, drop us a line to discuss your project. If you want a diesel because it will "save you money", it won't, sorry. The conversion is not just an engine. It includes, engine, gearbox, clutch lines, wiring harness mods, chassis mods, gearbox crossmember, exhaust, radiator, front springs, fuel tank mods, fuel fill mods and much more. Click the project links toward the bottom of this page to see the extent of an ECR Tdi conversion.
Thanks,
ECR

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac