Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 4th, 2015, 03:27 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Shopping for a multitool

Hey folks,

Anyone have any recommendations for a full-size multitool? Some of the champs on the web seem to be the SOG Powerassist EOD, Leatherman Charge TTi, Leatherman MUT EOD...

Does anyone have any experiences to share with extended use? I figure like most things there are positive experiences with these tools, but usually there are weaknesses to everything, and it would be good to hear what they are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 4th, 2015, 03:37 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Us military uses Gerber amost exclusively

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old August 4th, 2015, 03:40 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Joshman is absolutely the board expert when it comes to stuff like this. He is the gear whore's gear whore!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 4th, 2015, 03:52 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Can only speak for Leatherman, Gerber, and SOG.

Leatherman is my choice bar none. I run large and small frame L tools depending on needs due to the size and weight difference.

Our issued Gerbers love to break at inopportune times. I look at mine as expendable, one time use items. Once the novelty of ten "free" Gerbers wear off, most of my Soldiers (Infantrymen) purchased a Leatherman. Most of the country folks in my neck of the woods run a Leatherman at their hip as well.

My view on SOG is probably dated, but they were very clunky to operate but well constructed.

Id think about your intended use(s) and match that with the myriad of options that Leatherman offers.
Old August 4th, 2015, 03:58 PM
TMWTP
Jon
1989 One Ten

Registry
Love my MUT.
'12 Rockware 3-seat rock buggy - FOR SALE!
'13 LR4 - FOR SALE!
'83 110 - FOR SALE!
Old August 4th, 2015, 04:12 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Gerber Legend

I was bought a Gerber legend as a birthday present a number of years ago, and thought Meh - it has a locking blade which illegal to have in public without a good reason in the UK.

Anyway started wearing it in work and ended up using it a few times every day, damn useful.!
After a few years I snapped the pliers spring, & the rough tape grips stuck to the sides had also pealed off during use, the pouch was manky to say the least as I work in the steel industry.

I shelved it and decided to buy a new one as I was missing it in my day to day work then I discovered Gerber has a lifetime warranty, so returned it to Portland Or.
Expecting a bill for something..postage at least.
A short while later a brand new Gerber Legend complete with smooth rubber side grip inserts & new nylon pouch turned up & no charge...

Roll on a few years .. I was using the pliers to open an X-Eng rad cap and managed to snap the pliers, the rubber inserts were long gone from the sides after catching on the pouch while being pulled in and out of the pouch.

Sent back to Gerber .. 2 weeks later the brand new model turned up..

Still have it and use it every working day, the grip inserts are still rubber though I'd prefer the old grip tape inserts & the pouch belt loop has a popper fastener on the bottom of the loop - this has popped a few times though its never fallen off my belt though it does mean I can swap it to different trousers with pulling the belt through.
I have thought about sewing the bottom up a minor thing but annoying..!

In all top bit of Kit, breakages were in all honesty down to abuse very impressed with the product and service from Gerber

Regards All
Gren
Old August 4th, 2015, 04:34 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Joshman is absolutely the board expert when it comes to stuff like this. He is the gear whore's gear whore!
Hahahah. Us pretty boys get all the toys. Gerber are solid. I've been mated to a 20 year old leather an I have loved and performed everything I needed it to until recently it was snatched from my carry on by tsa. While on a work trip. Smh.

Those ****s.
Old August 4th, 2015, 04:56 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Issued gerber is crap. Can't speak to the other gerber products but I haven't been impressed overall.

I have had a 'leatherman charge ti' since 2007. I wouldn't change a thing about it. Phenomenal tool: good functionality, durable and high quality steel for the blade. My favorite function, which many other models now have, is that you can access the blades with the tool closed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3576841126.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	488.2 KB
ID:	126486

Name:	image-3282847251.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	455.3 KB
ID:	126487

Name:	image-3421334225.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	452.7 KB
ID:	126488

Name:	image-3300851483.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	467.8 KB
ID:	126489

Old August 4th, 2015, 04:57 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Also, that tool has been with me on two deployments and countless field exercises. It has been abused by most standards and looks/functions no worse for the wear.

Old August 4th, 2015, 05:16 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
Also, that tool has been with me on two deployments and countless field exercises. It has been abused by most standards and looks/functions no worse for the wear.
My Gerbers have been a gazillion places around this world and I've been happy with them. We haven't sent many back for replacement. Of course my guys lose them but performance wise they are fine. I don't think it's fair to say they are junk but I'd agree a lot of multitool and blade choices are personal preference when it boils down to it.
Old August 4th, 2015, 05:22 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
I've bought three different Leatherman tools, two Gerbers, and two Swisstool Victornox things. I like the Swisstool much better than the Leathermans.

I have had to use the Leatherman Wave several times when I had nothing else to use, and every time the screwdrivers are too small, the tools are difficult to access, oddly shaped, and I cut my own hand on the handle every time I use it. The old school Leatherman tools are better than their new stuff.

The Gerbers have good ergonomics, but not as easy to access tools and the tools aren't great. They seem to be weak, but I've never broke one.

The Swisstool has by far the best tool access. The tools are more real world usable. And it is easy to use, does not hurt the hands. It is ugly as sin, but it gets the job done better than the others. Besides, when a Op Det Delta Commando gives you one for Christmas, you don't argue. ...Well, you don't argue with them anyway. Ever.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old August 4th, 2015, 05:35 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Swisstool
Old August 4th, 2015, 05:44 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Thanks for the input guys. I think it would be pretty safe to say that to say any of the tools from reputable manufacturers are "junk" is probably just hyperbole. I'm interpreting the "junk" statements to mean that the user does not like it, or feels more confident in another multitool.
Old August 4th, 2015, 06:02 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
I've had the same Gerber for about 25 years.
I've never used a Leatherman. But they do look well built.
The thing I like about the Gerber is the single handed extension and retraction of the pliers. I've taken it out of the case, tighten nuts and bolts on the Harley, and put in back in the case all while still doing 65 down the highway.
Old August 4th, 2015, 06:25 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I've got a leather man and a cheapo wallymart knock off.
Cheapo one is in my truck.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old August 4th, 2015, 11:30 PM
FirstTithonus
Dustin
1994 NAS 90 #313

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
Issued gerber is crap. Can't speak to the other gerber products but I haven't been impressed overall. I have had a 'leatherman charge ti' since 2007. I wouldn't change a thing about it. Phenomenal tool: good functionality, durable and high quality steel for the blade. My favorite function, which many other models now have, is that you can access the blades with the tool closed.
My father and I have both carried the Leatherman PST II for about ten years if not longer. I use it multiple times a day. I do like these features of the Charge. Might finally be time to upgrade.
Old August 4th, 2015, 11:31 PM
FirstTithonus
Dustin
1994 NAS 90 #313

Also - it is small enough for just about all pockets while having a lot of different tools.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3949889327.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	126496  
Old August 5th, 2015, 01:31 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
I feel like this discussion is akin to the 1911 vs Glock or AR vs AK debates (let us please not have them, as Goose will tell all of us that no matter what, it must be .40 )

I have had great experience with Gerber's, not just b/c its my namesake (no affiliation). I also have a Leatherman MUT that I have on a chest rig and it is decent for AR maint and such. Personal preference is toward the ergonomics of the Gerber. I have also been impressed with their customer service, both for multitools as well as when I sent them a Mark II I'd chipped the point off and they rebladed and sent it back-for free.

Probably best to go to a store that has both and play with them in person to figure out which you'd like the most.
Old August 5th, 2015, 09:52 AM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

I've had a Leatherman Wave for over 10 years now. Its worn in nicely but the action on the tools is still very smooth.
I think people's experiences and opinions will vary based upon how they've used them.
I don't work on my truck with one. I don't use it around the house or at work. I have proper tools at those places.
I use mine for camping and canoeing and fishing. I primarily use the pliers and knife. Occasionally the screwdrivers.
I see a multi-tool as a jack of all trades - master at none type tool. It can do many things, but none of them as well as the actual tool meant for the job. I set my expectations accordingly and thus have been very happy with mine.
Old August 5th, 2015, 10:02 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

My favorite is the Kershaw A100. Had the first one issued to me when I was an army mechanic years ago (GSA Catalog). It's like a vise grip / locking plier. I prefer the needle nose version but I think there was a snub jaw version also.

I've been buying replacements over the last few years when one comes up missing. They are starting to get pretty rare and pricey. My next one is going upstairs and staying on the desk.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat