Shopping for a multitool - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old August 5th, 2015, 10:16 AM
1960 109, w/200TDI
Back in the 80"s when I was doing shift work in a cement plant I used a Leatherman for quick fixes. My biggest gripe is that the open sides of the grip cut into my hand when using the pliers. It would be nice to have smooth handles on the outside when putting pressure on the tool. Still have the tool though, the leather case is almost worn through on the outside bottom from being on my belt for 7 years.

1960 109
1960 88 Ignotus
Old August 5th, 2015, 10:31 AM
D90 óriginalé
Skeletool; fits in your back pocket, has a blade, a screwdriver, pliers and a mother trucking bottle opener.

I have a leather man with everything. It never comes out of its pouch really. Skeletool is imo best daily carry

Old August 5th, 2015, 10:35 AM
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008
I've been carrying my Swisstool it seems like forever! And, let me tell you, I wouldn't trade it! It goes everywhere with me....except for the courtroom!

SwissToolâ„¢ Spirit Pocket Knife, Swiss Army, Swiss Army SwissToolâ„¢ Spirit Pocket Knife

Please feel free to visit my website at:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old August 5th, 2015, 10:59 AM
NAS 97 D90 SW
Tend to agree that the beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I cant reiterate enough how many Gerbers have crapped the bed on me during rigorous field use. Great that they may have good CS, but it doesn't help when you depend on the tool to fix/strip/assemble a critical piece of kit in remote areas. I know, most of us aren't into extreme lifestyles, but I think everyone here values a good tool.

They seem to have very soft or high carbon steel that tend to break/snap even when used as intended.

Oh, and the fact they sold out to the masses, China manufacturing, and Bear Gryls is also disturbing..

Ok, enough Gerber bashing. All this is IMHO, of course!
Old August 5th, 2015, 11:07 AM
Ray Gerber
96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3
This is the great thing about posts like Gerber did just fine on multiple trips to the sandbox, not to mention all the wheeling since being used in lieu of busting out the more appropriate tool out of haste,

Now I did break the aforementioned Mk II...splitting firewood, in Croatia-so I guess that is a downside but certainly not appropriate usage.

I am not a fan of the Bear Grylls crap though.
Old August 5th, 2015, 11:33 AM
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC
I've had a couple Leatherman Waves probably since that model was released. First one got lifted out of my check baggage but I liked it enough to replace it with the same. Has enough tools to be useful in a variety of situations. About the only time I don't have it on me or in a bag is when I'm flying. Use it camping, hiking, around the house & yard, and while working in the extreme environments of commercial photography.

Like someone else said.... go to a store that stocks a variety & see which one you like best.
Old August 5th, 2015, 11:53 AM
I appreciate the feedback. I'll take a look and play with the tools in the store.

Quite honestly what I would really want is a well machined needlenose pliers to clamp/turn/crimp, diagonal cutters (which quite frankly I use the most often of any tool I have), and a set of philips and flathead screwdrivers. Maybe a prybar and a punch.

I'm not personally all that interested in saws, knives, or other random tools.
Old August 5th, 2015, 12:14 PM
1989 One Ten
Registry has a pretty good deal going on a couple different multi-tools right now. If anyone wants an invite, I get a bonus if I send you one.

Although, you can sign up without an invite. Good deals to be had on all sorts of gear.
'14 F250 dd tow rig
'12 Rockware 3-seat rock buggy
'13 LR4 (wife's dd)
'88 110 going under the knife
'83 110 - FOR SALE!
Old August 15th, 2015, 04:57 PM
Just to follow up, after looking at a bunch of multitools in the store, I've decided not to buy one.

They all just seemed like too much of a compromise to me. I was most impressed with the Leatherman Surge and ST300. The Titanium TTi was impressive looking but the $150+ cost of the TTi/MUT/etc got to be a little intimidating. The Gerbers seemed to be on the small side compared to the Leatherman offerings (although several stores seemed to have very few Gerbers in stock.)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat