Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 25th, 2006, 06:29 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
shocks and springs (again)

was reading thru the FAQ section of the site thinking about supension and what some of the early guys had to say about set ups. Pretty interesting stuff. I need to replace the shocks on my truck very soon and was wondering what would be the best options. I dont really care to "lift" the truck to much I think at most i would run 255/85's, but will most likely keep the tires stock. granted shocks dont effect lift I am struggling to figure out what would be the best combination, (SPRING/SHOCK) i assume Ill just get some OME springs. I want to run Bilstein's BUT I havent found much information on what Bilstein offers that works with rover. What is a good combination? I am putting on longer brake lines this week so that isnt a concern. I will keep my springs retained and I dont have sway bar on the front and anticipate the rear will come off. What is the stock shock length? If I lower shock mounts do i loose up travel? Just trying to get everything done right the first time in consideration of time and $$. Not to technical just random thinking on a rainy afternoon. I know this has all been pounded into the ground I just figured Id ask again. O yeah Station Wagon stocker gonna get some sliders ,maybe (BIG) a bumper and winch but doubt it.
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2006, 10:40 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

You should probably figure out where you are really going with the truck first(Winch and bumper OR not, sliders or not) before changing springs and shocks. Your final answers affect the suspension answer.
Old June 26th, 2006, 11:55 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I dont understand either??? If you don't want a lift, why go with longer shocks? Do you want it stock or do you want to do a mild lift with a bit more travel? Do you wheel the truck at all? Like Kevin said, what stuff will you be bolting on? What tires do you want to run? I have ideas but you have to give some more input..
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2006, 04:09 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
mild lift more travel. no winch just some armor. Trying to avoid all the shitty driveline angle issues.
Old June 26th, 2006, 07:59 PM
D110XD
Michael-P. Richter
110 HT XD 1997

I'm driving Koni Heavytrack RAID dampers (www.koni4x4.com) +2"/+2,5" with custom made springs.

front: 200lb/in; 430mm long
rear: 300lb/in; 460mm long

Not the cheapest solution, but I wanted the following:

moderate lift (2/2,5")
Comfortable ride on and offroad
Good performance on desert racing, traveling
extreme reliable and robust dampers...

Also wanted to avoid issues like: driveline angle, Cones, ...

Some pics can be found here:

http://www.viermalvier.de/forum_php/...e=0#Post349876

pics of my 110 are on top and bottom of this thread.
Old June 26th, 2006, 08:48 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
my only concern with the lift part is throwing all the driveline and steering off. I would mind an extra 1.5 or 2" but would like to get more suspension travel. Maybe a 12" shock.
Old June 26th, 2006, 10:09 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
I also do not want to get into heavy driveline mods. But thats me, and have off roaded in advanced trails situations.
The stock Rover is incredibly capable, and with light mods such as OME springs and shocks even more so. My stock old series 2 '67 was a killer off road and kept up with D90's. More important than anything is skill and judgement when off roading, much more than killer suspension.

A lot of the guys on this site (God Bless Them) who are running heavy mods, are on the cutting edge of Rover capability, and push their Rovers to the limit. They teach us what works, what doesn't, and what is possible, at their expense and skill. But that is what they do, and we all benefit from it to get working info we would never get otherwise.

The trick is to use the information so it benefits us in a realistic way, and the way we plan to use our Rovers ourselves.
But just to emulate them is not sensible. Unless you have the skill (AND the money). Inexperience combined with heavy mods= disaster.
Experience combined with heavy mods=outer limits. inexperience combined with stock is righteous. Experience combined with stock= art

Part of the fun of owning a Landy is figuring out the best possible configuration of your Rover fdor it's intended use.

What was the question?

Oh yeah, maybe the question should be, I want to offroad, what are the most important upgrades to begin with?

For me in the following order: 1. Tires & suspension 2. sliders /diff guards / tie rods and /or steer guard.
3. tank guard 4. winch & bumper 5. lights & fufu
Old June 27th, 2006, 07:15 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I have taken my defender out and wheeled it and have an understanding of its capabilities. I just need to replace/upgrade the shocks and i thought while i was under there i might replace the springs too. my goal is more suspension travel than stock without throwing the driveline out of whack.
Old June 27th, 2006, 08:20 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Phillip, I would go with RYM 2" springs.. RR-3's in the back and RR-4's or 2's depending. They can point you in the right direction. THese springs are great and your truck will ride better then ever.. I ran the RR-4's up front even with a stock front bumper and they were great.. I have 3" lift and still run a stock rear drive shaft. Do you also want to change your rear links and radius arms? Once you figure out springs, you can go with rockware rear shcok mounts or RYM.. in the front, I think Rovertracks will have a new longer shock tower and you can run a slightly longer shock.. Do you want to retain in the rear or cones? IF you will not have a locker in the future, I would do cones..

Shocks you can go with what ever you like.. I like ranchos cause they are cheap and adjustable. Plus they are on sale right now. I got a set for $270
Old June 27th, 2006, 08:48 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
I have been looking into fox shocks since I have heard good about them. I suppose you could specify shock length, but would have to adapt you mounts for eye/loop type mounts instead of the Rover pin type. The other concern would be the
tower length or repositioning the the shock mount, and spring retainers so the rear spring doesn't unseat at full articulation.
Old June 27th, 2006, 12:16 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
thanks. I was thinking rovertym but it seems that thier 2" springs usually net about 2.5 or so inches. I had rather have RTE since they are local. I didnt want to really gain more lift due the driveline woes. however I wanted more travel at all corners. I might give RTE a call.
Old June 27th, 2006, 12:18 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
I have taken my defender out and wheeled it and have an understanding of its capabilities. I just need to replace/upgrade the shocks and i thought while i was under there i might replace the springs too. my goal is more suspension travel than stock without throwing the driveline out of whack.
Phil

Drop your purse and slap on a 2" suspension lift! Be it Rovertym or OME you're not going to fowl your driveline or pinion angle with a lift under 2". If you want to go above that then you'll need a DC drive-shaft up front. I doesn't seem practical to install extended shocks with a lift of 1.5-2.0".

DJ
Old June 27th, 2006, 12:42 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
will stock tires look lame outta proportion with 2" since mine are pretty new I dont need to replace em
Old June 27th, 2006, 12:45 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The 2 " springs will be fine.. especially with yours being a SW and if you put sliders and protection on it, that is a lot of weight.. DJ is right....

Do the lift and worry about tires later.. You can go with a 235/85/16 if you want to go taller and thin. or the 255's
Old June 27th, 2006, 04:33 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy

Do the lift and worry about tires later.. You can go with a 235/85/16 if you want to go taller and thin. or the 255's

That's exactly what I did when first bought my D90. I installed an OME kit with stock tires then moved to the 255/85 R16's BFG MT's. I never had any driveline or rubbing issues.

DJ
Old June 27th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Call George and ask him about the Medium Heavy Duty OEM springs. I got about an 1"-1.5" lift no driveline issues and no sagging after a year of abuse. Have a Warn winch and HD OEM bumper and it sits level. Want a bit more add the isolators and your done. Mild but with the Detroit int he rear and TT upfront gets me where I want to go most of the time. Stock tires look fine with no huge gaps.

I would check you driveshat UJs when your under the truck. I have no vibs whatsoever but both the front and rear UJs have let go - most likely due to wear and tear from the salt and muck here in the midwest. Front let go last year and the rear was more my fault. Locked and doig donuts in mud. But It was fun indeed and it was on private property. Lesson learned.

EwS
Old June 27th, 2006, 09:21 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
George as in RDS George? Do you know which springs you have?
Old September 9th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

I'm a new D owner and need to replace springs and shocks. Have heard and read about the 2" lift with OME Heavy Duty springs and shocks. But what exactly are the OME numbers for the matching springs and shocks to get the 2" lift? Should I use heavy duty front AND rear? I have armor on the bottom and PLAN on putting a new HD (maybe ARB) brush guard, 9000 winch, and rock sliders.

Is there any other hardware that should be replaced when I replace the shocks and springs? Things look a little corroded/rusted between the mounts and the springs. Will I compromise safety and handling until I get all the extras mounted? Can't do all at once.

Thanks
Old September 9th, 2006, 12:47 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
If you plan on adding the bumper/winch combo, then get heavy duty up front, and med duty in the rear. I beleive that the numbers are 764's and 751's, but you can find this out on any rover parts website. I would just buy the shocks and springs kit and go OME all the way around. Item 9393 at Atlantic British is on sale for $543.95 right now.

97 D90 SW
Old September 11th, 2006, 07:03 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Go with RYM springs.. Much better.. RR-4 in front and RR-3's in rear..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat