Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 13th, 2016, 02:33 PM
shogunade
Pete
2011 RR HSE

Shipping Large Parts From The UK

How do you guys ship larger parts from other countries specifically the UK?

I'm in the process of shipping over a truck and want to pick up some parts as well. I've been told that I can't simply put the parts inside the truck and ship everything all at once. (of course not, why would life be so logical? too easy)

I'm looking to get:
1. Rear windscreen frame
2. Complete headliner for roof and frame
3. Rear bulkhead for Double Cab
4. Puma hood

Anyone know the most cost effective way to ship these to the east coast and how much I'd be looking at?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2016, 10:15 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

When I had a bonnet shipped over from the UK we used ParcelHero. It cost 250. Arrived in a few days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2016, 10:26 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

It came FedEx Freight. I don't know how they did it, because the quote I got from FedEx was astronomical.
Old October 13th, 2016, 11:55 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
People have had good luck with strapping the parts down securely in the truck and the shipping company not rejecting them. On the flipside, I hear that at ports in England that stuff dissappears from vehicles so keep that in mind. I shipped a big antenna in my truck and it had no issues.
Old October 16th, 2016, 09:57 AM
shogunade
Pete
2011 RR HSE

What's the worst case scenario if I securely place the parts inside the truck and it doesn't go missing. Will customs have an issue with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
People have had good luck with strapping the parts down securely in the truck and the shipping company not rejecting them. On the flipside, I hear that at ports in England that stuff dissappears from vehicles so keep that in mind. I shipped a big antenna in my truck and it had no issues.
Old October 16th, 2016, 10:03 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

We've had this question a few times recently.
I've shipped Bulkheads, doors (front and rear), even dog guards from the UK. My bias is DHL. Quickest no hassle and no sneaky customs bill arriving a few weeks later. Or delay in customs because they can't be bothered to read the manifest.
Think Himalaya has a few of the bits you are looking for
Old October 16th, 2016, 10:17 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Or you might try Safari HP as there is a better than even chance they have your entire list.
Old October 16th, 2016, 11:26 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
Out of OZ yes. Out of the UK I've had a shipping line call and go ballistic because there was a rear cross member in the back of a high cap and it was lashed up in the front of the bed behind the cab.

To be clear the no parts in the car is a shipping line security issue, not a post arrival customs one. This only applies to roro shipments.That said, as has been covered here a few times, putting a defender in a container can be a crap shoot as to what it will end up costing.
Customs will be fine as long as you have correct paperwork This started via a knee jerk reaction from Homeland Security Director Janet Napolitano after the fellow tried to light his explosive tennis shoe on that Christmas flight from the UK. Dave Bobeck, Gustavo Pagni, and myself got caught up with the overnight policy changes. I had signed receipts from a shipping line @ Southampton where they had received the three trucks Dave and I had dropped off with parts for the trucks and a roll cage in the back of the 127, all inventoried on the dock receipts. Once stateside again I got a call that the line was refusing to load my personal cars on the booked ship because of this new mandate. Basically the mandate is no personal effects in a vehicle other than a tool kit and spare. Regulation is meant to prevent dirty bomb etc as it was explained to me. What I have been able to get away with has been driven by certain lines @ certain ports. Ie Amsterdam and Australia there has been some flexibility.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
part, parts, shipping