Shhhh don’t tell the wife - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old February 24th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Dave Lucas

I got it from Pendy, he was nice enough to meet me in Goodland KS to save me from having to drive the entire way

Old February 24th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
Anyone have a guess as to how much a 90 truck cab body would weight from the bulkhead back?

Some examples of what I am talking about from ECR's sites and Dave M's build

We did this with a friend's SIII after it was involved in a wreck shortly after a frameover rebuild. He didn't want to spend another year on the project so we did the initial disaseembly one day and got the body ready to lift. then body off/engine and trans out/fuel tanks, brake lines, wiring out/axles out one day and then the axles under the new chassis/engine and trans in/fuel tanks, brake lines, wiring in/body on the next day. Then left him to re-attach all the working bits, bleed brakes and so forth.

This was done using a hardware store come-along (2000lb i think), a chain fall, and a block and tackle with some climbing rope. We lifted from his garage rafters whch we braced by temporarily sistering on additional 2x6's and wedging in an additional "dead man" 2x4 (it think that is all we had) at each corner to share some of the load borne by the rafter span.

the body hung there for the better part of two days. they are heavy, but not THAT heavy. Defender stuff is probably a tad heavier than series but not by much, they are more or less the same construction.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1150001.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	25389   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1150006.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	25391  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1160013.jpg