She died! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 24th, 2004, 04:20 PM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

Talking She died! but now she lives! hooray!

My defender died. I was driving along and the engine felt weak and died! I pulled over and it just wouldn't start again. Fortunately I was only a few hundred yards away from my house an I was able to get a buddy and my JEEP to tow it back home it was terrible. I believe the problem has to do with fuel delivery, she turns over just fine and will even run for a second or two. It seems like it isn't getting gas, maybe a fuel pump problem. Damn bad luck I've had the same engine in my 97 rangie, never a single engine problem. I hope it's a dead fuel pump not something worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 24th, 2004, 06:58 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Just disconnect a fuel line and turn the ignition. If it sprays, then the fuel pump is good. I mean, be careful and stuff...
Old December 24th, 2004, 08:32 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
something clogged maybe, good call on the fuel line you can disconect it on the passenger side frame from the fuel filter. you can check the fuel pressure too on the fuel rail. any codes from the OBDII? sorry to hear about your loss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 24th, 2004, 08:52 PM
RoverChic
D-90 Source P.I.
02 D2, 13 E350 AMG, 11 Ford F350

Russ: Sorry to hear this. Especially on Christmas Eve

Check the fuel pump (especially if you had been driving for a long period of time - they tend to crap out after long drives, getting too hot, or in high altitude), also look at the fuel filter. CEL as mentioned by Phil or maybe a sensor??
Best of wishes,
RoverChic
Old December 24th, 2004, 09:19 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Russell, a good and safer way of checking pressure on 97s is to hook a pressure gauge on the fuel rail, there is a nipple on the rail on the passenger side fuel rail between the 2 inner cylinders, and it should have a black cap on it. I believe you should see something in the 30 to 40 psi range.

I am not saying that it is terribly bad to pull the line off to check pressure; the manual kinda says to do it that way to depressurize the system. But my bet is the fuel filter! Why because it is cheap and easy! Good luck and happy holidays!
Old January 5th, 2005, 08:24 PM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

She lives once more. It turns out the ecu got wet when I hosed it off. At least that is what I figured when I got back from vacation I tried to start it again and she runs great. My mechanic told me a wet ecu was the culprit. However i am dissapointed that the d-90, the supreme safari tested machine can't take a soft shower with a garden hose! Any suggestions to waterproof the ecu?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat