SG 3 link- used pricing? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 23rd, 2008, 11:25 AM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

SG 3 link- used pricing?

What would be a fair price for a used Safari Gard 3 link system for a Range Rover Classic (without the Stage III lift)?

I guess that would only include the crossmember, arms, and tie rod protector with mounts.

I am looking at a used one, but want to make sure I dont get taken to the cleaners. how much were they new when they still sold them? It looks like $1000. Anybody know? I was thinking if it was $1000 new, then half of that or maybe a little more would be fair.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 23rd, 2008, 11:28 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
I believe that they are available again...

http://www.safarigard.com/store/inde...a3bf74b3af6eac

$750 for the Three-Link System and $275 for the cross member (pretty much mandatory, and should just be part of the kit)....

So $1,025 new, plus tax and shipping..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 11:32 AM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

the seller wanted $1800 for the 3 link and Stage III. Seems like almost full price to me. I guess the stage III must include those springs, fox shocks, and the droop thing in the rear. I dunno, maybe it also includes trailing arms and stuff but I already have those.

Do you think like $600-750 for just the front 3 link is fair?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 23rd, 2008, 02:14 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Save your money and keep your truck stable.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 03:19 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore Ranger
the seller wanted $1800 for the 3 link and Stage III. Seems like almost full price to me. I guess the stage III must include those springs, fox shocks, and the droop thing in the rear. I dunno, maybe it also includes trailing arms and stuff but I already have those.

Do you think like $600-750 for just the front 3 link is fair?
Stage III kit was just springs, shocks, extended bump stops, extended brake lines and some cheesy rear spring retainers, if I remember correctly. At least mine was, but that was circa 1998. 'Bent' trailing links, and castor corrected radius arms were options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNY
Still alot of debate over this, I assume you've done your research and formed your own opinion..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 03:34 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

Quote:
Kevin,

You might be right. Somtimes you see stuff for sale that you dont really need but it is a good price and it gets you thinking. I need to research the 3 link, specifically the RRC one, more before I pursue this any further. That's a lot of coin for something that may or may not be suitable for me.

The guy is also selling front and rear RRC ockware bumpers for a RRC and I am going to pull the trigger on those.

The funny thing about the rallye was that I came home, and after seeing all the awesome trucks there, I have the itch to keep buying stuff for mine, even though mine did great on the trails I led, and drove to and from the rallye in comfort.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 03:42 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

IMO

Get HD axles first and lock it F&R for the money, you won't get huge RTI ramp scores but you will go everywhere on the trail. Keith told me at vendor night to keep your eyes open for Longtracks CV's back in stock very soon.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 03:47 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

I already have toyota shafts with a 4.10 open toyota 3rd for the rear and the longfields and a 4.10 ARB differential for the front. It is just a pile of parts in my house right now but it will be reality in a few months.

I bought all this stuff in January when Keith still had some of those Longfields in stock.
Old September 24th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
FWIW, I had the SG 3-link on my first D1 (the previous owner had gotten it)-I don't have it on my current truck and while I wouldn't mind having it again, I concur with-and am pursuing-a plan similiar to what was discussed above (HD axles and lockers).

The droop was fanstatic with the 3-link, and I didn't find the truck to be unstable at all even at highway speeds, but it wouldn't be something to get in front of the other mods. I also think you should go for the low end of the offering spectrum, like $600, if you were going to throw it out there.
r-
Ray
Old September 24th, 2008, 12:35 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I have/had the opportunity to acquire a used 3 link complete with the cross-member for $500.00.

I would not pay any more than $500.00. I have driven several trucks with the 3-link and they are intended for off-road use only, but all of the guys drive them on the road. The front end is a little looser, but you will get used to it.

I would lock the truck up first, before buying the 3-link, but it is another toy and everyone needs cool toys.

Old September 24th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

My D-90 has a 3-link on the front end and it is a little loose in the front, but I drive at highway speeds all the time as it is my daily driver. Like Scott said you get used to it.
Old September 24th, 2008, 01:10 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

You will need to swap out the front axle casing on an 1989 to use the SG three link. The square tube thing bolts to the sway bar mounts.
Old September 24th, 2008, 01:16 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
I have a 3-link on the front of my D90, and it feels no different than any other lifted truck I've driven. I just did a 450 mile road trip with it over the weekend, and truck tracked and handled great. I will say this, I do think this setup's feel is a little more sensitive to spring rates and shock valving than the factory radius arm setup.
Old September 24th, 2008, 01:23 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

I was refering to it's instabilty on the trail not the road.
Old September 24th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
I was refering to it's instabilty on the trail not the road.
I think attributing this to the 3 link is innacurate. Your just freeing up movement, not changing fundamentals. Spring rate, shock valving, and sway bars are going to be more important than the link setup unless you have stupid antisquate numbers, which I don't believe the 3 link has. The radius arms with their almost built in sway-bar action mask other things.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old September 24th, 2008, 02:14 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I have a 3 link and its great on and off road. great flex on the trails and stable on the highway. I would not trade mine for anything
Old September 24th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

I might buy it if he'll sell it for around 500. I figure I can always resell it for the same price later if I decide not to use it. If he declines, I am sure that it will be available again at a later date from SG when they get their shit together again.

I have already spent probably $2-3K on the axles, gears, ARBs, etc. So that is already taken care of, though it hasnt been installed under the truck yet. If I hadnt spent the money on that stuff, I wouldnt even be considering another toy yet!

I need to look into what Ron said about the sway bar mounts, because I dont have those. The guy parting this out has an 1989 so he got around that somehow.
Old September 24th, 2008, 03:01 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

I'm not going to try to convince those that have bought them that they shouldn't have, I'm just saying I don't believe they will get a locked truck anywhere it would not go without a 3 link and in fact will keep you off of certain obstacles where things get tippy. If a guy is not F&R locked with good axles then that is where the dough should go IMO.
Old September 24th, 2008, 03:05 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
I think the feeling of instability comes from softer spring rates and valving, because there is so much less inherent bind when compared to the factory radius arm setup.

My only dislike with the SG stage 3 kit that I have on my D90 is I wish the springs were a little firmer... granted this could be overcome using sway bars.

I'll end up taking all of this on at some point soon when I go to coil overs, but right now I'm just enjoying the truck for what it is.
Old September 24th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

Would the 3 link work as well with the stiffer RTE 3" springs?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat