Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 9th, 2015, 03:05 AM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
SFO, Bay area support?

Probably around November I will be moving my D90 to the Bay area, close to SFO airport.

Are there any good vendors in this area to supply parts? Or will I be dependant on mail-order?

Any regular Defender Source get togethers I should know about?

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 9th, 2015, 09:24 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
If you are still in guam in a few weeks, Josh (crash303) and myself will be rolling through for a few days... drinks at Mermaid Tavern are always a given, we would love to meet up with a fellow D90 driver!

As far as SFO, Cerrones European seems to be the go-to shop, they host the lrrepair forums. Parts houses are no different than anywhere else, it's AB, RN, or overseas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 9th, 2015, 10:47 AM
Ignotus
gene
1960 109, w/200TDI

Hi,

There is a loose LR community in the Bay Area, ie the Mendo List. They have 1 campout the last full weekend in April. Sometimes there are get togethers at Lanesplitters Pizza in Berkeley. Go meet Daniel there he's on this forum but lately has gotten back into 2wheelers.

Cerrone's has a good rep, I would add Rovah Farm to the list of parts online.
Blog;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 9th, 2015, 11:36 AM
ntan
N
Range Rover

For parts, Justin over at British Recyclers

For service, I use Jack at 11th Street Auto Repair in SF. Convenient, great work, reasonable pricing
Old August 9th, 2015, 12:51 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis
Camel Trophy 110 sorta :)

There is no support in the Bay Area so I will be willing to take your 90 off your hands out of the kindness of my heart. Otherwise NCLR (disclosure: I'm not just a member but also sit on the Board of Directors). Come join us! We have a causal meeting on the Peninsula every month after work plus other regular events.
Chris
Old August 9th, 2015, 01:34 PM
jperakis
James Perakis
94 ST

West Coast British in livermore is run by a father-son tandem.

I've found them to be a better all around shop than anything else in Silicon Valley proper (north peninsula and south bay down to san jose).

I used to go to Cerrone's but he looked at me like I was crazy when I ask him to install a fiberglass retrofit kit, then tried to charge 3 hours of labor to install the newer oil cooler lines, and he topped it off with a $1500 estimate to replace my clutch master and slave cylinders.
Old August 9th, 2015, 05:00 PM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
If you are still in guam in a few weeks, Josh (crash303) and myself will be rolling through for a few days... drinks at Mermaid Tavern are always a given, we would love to meet up with a fellow D90 driver!
What dates will you be here? It would be great to get together. I can walk to the Mermaid in 10 minutes.

Mike

------ Follow up post added August 10th, 2015 07:03 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntan View Post
For parts, Justin over at British Recyclers

For service, I use Jack at 11th Street Auto Repair in SF. Convenient, great work, reasonable pricing
Since I do 97% of my own work, its really nice to be able to pick up the parts I need after a short drive rather than wait for the UPS truck.

Thanks!

Mike

------ Follow up post added August 10th, 2015 07:07 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Solis View Post
There is no support in the Bay Area so I will be willing to take your 90 off your hands out of the kindness of my heart. Otherwise NCLR (disclosure: I'm not just a member but also sit on the Board of Directors). Come join us! We have a causal meeting on the Peninsula every month after work plus other regular events.
Chris
While I might be persuaded to trade for a different Defender, YOUR problem is prying this D90 out of my wife's hands! She *LOVES* the beast!

Where is the Peninsula? I've not spent much time in this part of the country.

Mike
Old August 9th, 2015, 09:21 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis
Camel Trophy 110 sorta :)

The peninsula is just south of SF (like 5-15 min south of the airport).

We are pretty active as a club and I usually host a wrenching day every few months at my place in Livermore (45min from SF) as well as some others (a lot further East for you). Parts wise there isn't any local stores but I can't recommend Trevor at Rovahfarm enough. Email, phone, web orders doesn't matter. I literally emailed him on a Friday night and Saturday morning when I woke up I had a tracking number and the part was in my hands Monday.
Old August 9th, 2015, 09:48 PM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Solis View Post
The peninsula is just south of SF (like 5-15 min south of the airport).

We are pretty active as a club and I usually host a wrenching day every few months at my place in Livermore (45min from SF) as well as some others (a lot further East for you). Parts wise there isn't any local stores but I can't recommend Trevor at Rovahfarm enough. Email, phone, web orders doesn't matter. I literally emailed him on a Friday night and Saturday morning when I woke up I had a tracking number and the part was in my hands Monday.
I will be in contact after I get there in a few months.

Mike
Old August 9th, 2015, 11:17 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuamPilot View Post
What dates will you be here? It would be great to get together. I can walk to the Mermaid in 10 minutes.

Mike
I want to say something like 5-6-7 September or right around there. We will be staying at the Outrigger, we usually end up doing a circular run through the restaurants.... Mermaid and Jeffs Pirate Cove for lunch, Table 35 (and maybe Mermaids again) for dinner.

I'll find the exact dates and PM you.

Old August 10th, 2015, 12:50 AM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
I want to say something like 5-6-7 September or right around there. We will be staying at the Outrigger, we usually end up doing a circular run through the restaurants.... Mermaid and Jeffs Pirate Cove for lunch, Table 35 (and maybe Mermaids again) for dinner.
First, you have a good list to keep yourself fed and lubricated. Is eating your main motivation for coming to the Guam?

But at that time I expect to be picking wild blueberries in north eastern Iceland.

Mike
Old August 10th, 2015, 04:40 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuamPilot View Post
First, you have a good list to keep yourself fed and lubricated. Is eating your main motivation for coming to the Guam?

But at that time I expect to be picking wild blueberries in north eastern Iceland.

Mike
Definitely not our main motivation... it's our first US stop on our way home to San Diego... :-)

But since we are there for a few days we always try to make the best of it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat