Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 23rd, 2017, 10:14 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Sendig Supplies to PR

Guys,

I need to go to PR to help family/friends an assess the damages done to my parent house (they are here) by the hurricane and I want to bring with me supplies. small generator, first aid kits, etc.

Any idea how I can get them down without getting stolen? I'm concerned that they might get "lost" if I take them with me or get confiscated because of the rules of items I can bring with me on a commercial plane.

Please PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 23rd, 2017, 10:19 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Does Amazon prime offer shipping to PR? We ordered all our hurricane supplies on Amazon including the generator.
Old September 23rd, 2017, 10:31 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
Does Amazon prime offer shipping to PR? We ordered all our hurricane supplies on Amazon including the generator.
They used too... But it seems that they changed their shipping rules.

Other companies wanted $500 to ship the small EU2000i Honda gen.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 23rd, 2017, 10:51 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
That sucks...Have you tried calling the airlines? I have to think they are waiving fees for bringing down supplies and if they aren't they should be shamed for not doing so.
Old September 23rd, 2017, 11:03 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

How about a big locked locker, or Pelican case?
Pedro- give me a shout about going down if you need some help- have spare generators, construction tools, etc... Can also get my hands on medical supplies.

Old September 23rd, 2017, 12:27 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

One of my colleagues grew up in PR. As of Friday he had heard nothing from his family. He is a worried man.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old September 23rd, 2017, 01:18 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertrader View Post
How about a big locked locker, or Pelican case?
Pedro- give me a shout about going down if you need some help- have spare generators, construction tools, etc... Can also get my hands on medical supplies.
That's a good idea... I can get Pelican cases full of stuff. The airlines are a bit overwhelmed right now. I'm waiting a few days for things to stabilize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
One of my colleagues grew up in PR. As of Friday he had heard nothing from his family. He is a worried man.
PM me his info... any idea where they live? I can try to locate them.

There's very little communications... ATT is working intermittently... Sprint and Verizon are not.
Old September 23rd, 2017, 01:40 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Another option, and I'm sure it's happening already, is to organize charter flights with friends and family.
Old September 23rd, 2017, 02:56 PM
Mpigapicha
phil
1995 Defender D90

As of now there's no commercial flights, only relief planes and military. There's no radar up, so planes need to keep 20 mile distance. I sent someone there this morning on a special flight and literally just spoke to him while at airport.
Its hard to project how long before they allow commercial flights back in, so I doubt you can ship anything whether through Amazon or any shipper.
Hope your family and friends are ok.
Old September 23rd, 2017, 03:10 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpigapicha View Post
As of now there's no commercial flights, only relief planes and military. There's no radar up, so planes need to keep 20 mile distance. I sent someone there this morning on a special flight and literally just spoke to him while at airport.
Its hard to project how long before they allow commercial flights back in, so I doubt you can ship anything whether through Amazon or any shipper.
Hope your family and friends are ok.
That's what I've heard too... They estimated Thursday.

Old September 23rd, 2017, 03:16 PM
Mpigapicha
phil
1995 Defender D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
That's what I've heard too... They estimated Thursday.

Really, I would be surprised, but hope so. My guy was telling me its pretty bad plus factor in the grid issue. They need to get some supplies in.

He didn't see many planes in today, said only a couple, but he was only there for 5 hours and flew back out.
Old September 23rd, 2017, 07:30 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpigapicha View Post
Really, I would be surprised, but hope so. My guy was telling me its pretty bad plus factor in the grid issue. They need to get some supplies in.

He didn't see many planes in today, said only a couple, but he was only there for 5 hours and flew back out.
The pictures I've seen.. I doubt it. It looks like a war zone. But that's what Jet Blue said... We'll see.

Old September 23rd, 2017, 07:49 PM
Mpigapicha
phil
1995 Defender D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
The pictures I've seen.. I doubt it. It looks like a war zone. But that's what Jet Blue said... We'll see.
JetBlue is already flying in/ out but only relief workers, officials, etc. They evacuated a plane load today of people to FL. I imagine will come down to when they have all up and running to manage commercial flights, even then I'm sure it'll be limited flights. It must be one of their top priorities.
Old September 23rd, 2017, 09:52 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Many of the airports in the Caribbean are closed at night due to damage and lack of electricity.

Why aren't there aircraft carriers and other Navy ships on site with helo's to move things on shore? Where is the Marine amphibious capabilities to move transport and fuel? Why aren't there Hospital ships on site by now to save lives?
Old September 24th, 2017, 10:25 AM
Mpigapicha
phil
1995 Defender D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Many of the airports in the Caribbean are closed at night due to damage and lack of electricity.

Why aren't there aircraft carriers and other Navy ships on site with helo's to move things on shore? Where is the Marine amphibious capabilities to move transport and fuel? Why aren't there Hospital ships on site by now to save lives?
Couple ospreys landed in San Juan yesterday and multiple reserve units are definitely in PR. All going to take time unfortunately.
Old September 24th, 2017, 09:39 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Spoke with a friend that had family leave the island on military plane... they are not allowing people in as far as I heard l.

This will indeed take time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat