Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 17th, 2006, 10:26 AM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

SEMA truck

Hey guys,
I'm a long time Defender owner and a frequest poster to this board. Last year I sold my beloved '94 D-90 and purchased a 300 Tdi D-110. It was a great truck, but after driving it for a year and with the addition of another baby in my house, I decided to sell it. For the first time in 12 years, I am roverless. "So why am I posting here?" you might ask...well, I have a question for you.

I know that many of you will be biased (hell, I'm biased) but I was wondering if any of you have had any first hand experience with the Mercedes G-500. Not the Europa cars, but the newly imported (2002 to present, I believe) G wagens. I have the opportunity to buy one from a friend of mine for what I consider a very reasonable price considering it's year, mileage and add ons.

The truck is a 2003, G 500, black on black, with 31k miles on the clock. Never been offroaded, never wrecked, never any problems. It was the SEMA show truck for two years in a row for an off road company in the north west. It has rock sliders, black military steel wheels and 35" mud terrains, arb lockers front and rear, custom bull bar with a winch, roof rack, diff covers, under armor, etc. It also has the original tires and rims as well as an '04 OEM head unit which has Sirius satellite radio. A divorce is forcing the sale, and he's offering it to me for $45K. It has over $30,000 worth of upgrades to it ( with receipts and documentation).

I've been coveting this guys truck for a while now and I've always told him to talk to me first if he ever decided to sell it. Now's the time, and I'm just wondering what, if anything, I may be getting into with the benz. I've owned a couple of C class benzes in my day, and they've all been rock solid and very reliable. I have heard of electrical demons plaguing the NAS G wagens as well as little things like cupholders being flemsy, or door locks breaking (something about how the US versions are filled with plastic parts and "convenience" accessories due to US consumer demand. Just what i've heard.) Anyway, does this sound like a good deal? Does the fact that it was a SEMA show car do anything for it's value? Modified 4x4's as you guys know are like a catch 22 when it comes to reselling them. On the one hand you have all kinds of money tied up in accessories, but sometimes that actually detracts from the value of the truck unless you find the right buyer. I'd like to offroad this truck (here in FL that basically means mud) but I'm mostly looking for something big enough, and reliable enough for my family. The uniqueness is something that I've grown to love as well. (don't roll your eyes, you know you love it too.) ANyway, I don't know what to do here. And please, don't suggest i take the $45 and buy a LR3, or any LR for that matter. I'm like a heroin addict with rovers, and I have to quit cold turkey. The G wagen will be my methadone for a year or two. Anyone want to chime in?
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2006, 10:36 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
www.G-500.com
Old November 17th, 2006, 01:12 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

This thread is meaningless with out pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverboy
arb lockers front and rear
why?
it comes locked up from the factory.
that would be one odd and pointless conversion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2006, 01:43 PM
GliderKing
Robert Bingham
97 ST D90

Registry
ummm, buy it. seems simple enough to me. you know the history, the owner and you like the truck from the sounds of it. I too question the arb locker conversion since that was one of the selling points.

I went to the mercedes dealer once to look at them and pulled up in my 90. they didn't even respond to my questions and seemed aloof. I see them around town, but mostly driven by women running off to pilates or the mall. The truck you describe does not sound like the bling-y trucks they drive....

1997 NAS 90 ST
1985 110 RHD 300tdi ROW
@gliderking instagram, twitter
Old November 17th, 2006, 01:49 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

If I had pics, I'd post them, although I don't really know what difference that would make. Everyone here knows what they look like, that's not the point. I'm only asking if anyone here has any first hand knowledge about these trucks, or any idea about the SEMA thing being a benefit as far as valuation or for resale purposes. I couldn't tell you about the lockers, I didn't build the truck. I would think there would be a reason why they changed it, but again, I don't know, and that's not really the point of the thread.

Looks like I posted this to the wrong website, I've just been posting here so long, I thought I could get some input from someone who has owned both Defenders and MB's. Sorry, guess I'll have to start frequenting Pirate. Now go clean up those oil stains in your driveway. ;-)
Old November 17th, 2006, 01:50 PM
GliderKing
Robert Bingham
97 ST D90

Registry
somehow duplicate responsed, sorry, see my original post

1997 NAS 90 ST
1985 110 RHD 300tdi ROW
@gliderking instagram, twitter
Old November 17th, 2006, 02:17 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Well why dont you want another Land Rover?
Old November 17th, 2006, 02:26 PM
parkcity4x4classic
Susan C. Daniero
D-90 Source Vendor

Average wholesale Black Book (the book most dealers use for valuation) is $37675. That is a stock 2003 G500 without upgrades and 31K miles. Sounds like a decent deal if it is all that is described.
Authorized Dealer-TLC ICON™
Phone: (435) 731-0748
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Utah Dealer #6541
Old November 17th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
addition of another baby in my house, I decided to sell it
1) get your tubes tied

2) grass is always greener........
Old November 17th, 2006, 05:17 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

I appreciate the sarcasm, Kneel. That was good shit. Tubes tied....funny. I'm done being a sperm donor. Maybe my next post on here will be for a good urologist.

And the grass is always greener is something I'm all too familiar with (see my original post, where I describe selling the D-90 for a D-110) Worst mistake ever.

I don't know, I think I'm gonna drive the MB for a couple of days next week and see if I like it and go from there. It's going to be wierd driving something besides a Defender.
Old November 18th, 2006, 01:08 AM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
My father has had a couple of them, and still has one. Right now, he has a silver limited edition with a huge fastass engine in it. It is the only thing I would consider getting rid of the 90 for. I think that they are really nice and would love to have one. He has had zero problems out of his and loves it. IMO they are great cars MB is a class act.
Gelaendewagens are not very big, but bigger than a 90. Do it, and if you don't like it, sell it in 6 months. If you don't, you'll always wish that you had.

97 D90 SW
Old November 18th, 2006, 07:02 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
man you bitching about how much worse it will be to not have the rover and how much you want a Rover why not just get another Land ROver?
Old November 18th, 2006, 07:14 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Never sat in one. I have heard one owner say they don't ride well and they have lots or rattles and are expensive to repair. Maybe he was thinking it would be like Mercedes sedans?
Old November 18th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

When/if you get it, post up some pictures of the suspension. They have a radius arm suspension front and rear like LR uses in the front. It would be interesting to see how they got around that for the sema show.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old November 18th, 2006, 07:21 PM
needsaD110
Ben
97 D90 #1345

The back seat is really uncomfortable for your legs, especially if your short beacuse the seat sits so high up. And if the driver is tall leg room sucks in the back, My mom tested one out but she went with a 03' RR instead
Old November 18th, 2006, 09:09 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
why do you need a 110?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat