Selling a UK D110 in USA but its not 25yo. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 12th, 2014, 12:53 PM
overlandbirds

Selling a UK D110 in USA but its not 25yo.

I see Defenders in the US that seem to be newer than 25 years? I know there must be a way of registering them. I've even seen a Puma TDCi in California. Anybody got any clues as to what possible with a 1994 with regards to registering it ? Its already in country of course as I'm' driving it around on UK plates. Officially I have one year after bringing it in but at the moment I can see the powers that be have no way of knowing how long its been in the US. I'm wondering about selling it wondered if their is a way round the 25 year thing. I could sell it as parts of course. They never took any details when we came in from Mexico and considering we've left the US for Christmas nobody said "where's your car" when we left. When we come back in a few weeks nobody will even know our car is in the US. Its the loosest system we've encountered on our trip to be honest. Obviously I've got all the paperwork for it with me and I want to sell it at some point this year. So the question is.....can I,,, and if someone buys it can they register it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 12th, 2014, 01:01 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Seriously?
Old January 12th, 2014, 01:06 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
http://www.overlandbirds.com/

No impostors here.

------ Follow up post added January 12th, 2014 01:08 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
Seriously?
LOL. My reply doesn't work to well anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 12th, 2014, 01:18 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

:popcorn
Old January 12th, 2014, 01:19 PM
overlandbirds

nice edit there Rugbier...strange thing is it sends it immediately to you if you have a subscribed thread...

No i'm not a CBP officer whatever that is....

Theres seemingly loads of uder 25yos in the states so it must be "legal" in some way, shape or form.....

there must be at least 50 members on here with 1997 vehicles and mines a 1994 unless you use a VIN checker and then its a 1995, which is isn't.
Old January 12th, 2014, 01:30 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
At this point I would say no because the DHS, the CBP as well as the NSA all monitor this board for any potential illegal activity that may or may not occure here that may or may not endager the public safety.

You probabily have a UAV tracking your trucks movements as we speak. Your best option is to slip across the Canadian boarder and dump it up there before some governmental agency shows up with a Sennebogen and rips your truck to shreads then posts it on youtube.

Good luck and be safe.
Old January 12th, 2014, 01:30 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandbirds View Post
nice edit there Rugbier...strange thing is it sends it immediately to you if you have a subscribed thread...

Theres seemingly loads of uder 25yos in the states so it must be "legal" in some way, shape or form.....

there must be at least 50 members on here with 1997 vehicles and mines a 1994 unless you use a VIN checker and then its a 1995, which is isn't.
1997 are the 90" NAS trucks that were imported directly by LRNA, as were a slew of 94/95s (and a few 110s in 1993). Other than that, everything either has to be over 25 years old or of questionable origin.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old January 12th, 2014, 01:32 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
nice edit there Rugbier...strange thing is it sends it immediately to you if you have a subscribed thread... No i'm not a CBP officer whatever that is.... Theres seemingly loads of uder 25yos in the states so it must be "legal" in some way, shape or form..... there must be at least 50 members on here with 1997 vehicles and mines a 1994 unless you use a VIN checker and then its a 1995, which is isn't.
Before you dig a huge hole here, being quick to listen and not talk.

The "50" 1997s are all NAS Defenders, sold by LRNA new in the US.

Yes, you can do whatever the crap you want in the US, but that doesn't make it legal. I wont address the recent attention the US Defender community has gotten from the government, but if you think you're going to post in here about blatantly illegal activities, especially if you are a foreigner, and not get shat on, you have something coming.
Old January 12th, 2014, 01:35 PM
overlandbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
1997 are the 90" NAS trucks that were imported directly by LRNA, as were a slew of 94/95s (and a few 110s in 1993). Other than that, everything either has to be over 25 years old or of questionable origin.
Ah,,,so thats where they came from. I was asking, not like i want anyone shipping off to some Cuban death camp....and to be probed for 10 years....

I see TDCi bonnets on a few member cars so i was wondering about those.

I know Canada would be good for the sale. Do they fetch similar money there? I'm also wondering where best to advertise it. I see Craigs list mentioned. No idea what that even is....
Old January 12th, 2014, 01:36 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

I think everyone knows its illegal.

If there were a legal way to register a newer defender do you really think so many of us would be wasting all our time and effort restoring/ repairing our eighties era defenders? If there were a way it would be posted here clearly for everyone to see.

Now if you want to do it illegally, knock yourself out. I'll have my pop corn ready for when your rig goes under the crusher.
Old January 12th, 2014, 01:37 PM
overlandbirds

Can everyone read the last few words of my first post out loud before posting the doom and naysayer stuff. PLEASE !
Old January 12th, 2014, 01:39 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
Can everyone read the last few words of my first post out loud before posting the doom and naysayer stuff. PLEASE !
This guy is persistent. Question answered and he wants us to "read" his post.
Old January 12th, 2014, 01:40 PM
overlandbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
I think everyone knows its illegal.

If there were a legal way to register a newer defender do you really think so many of us would be wasting all our time and effort restoring/ repairing our eighties era defenders? If there were a way it would be posted here clearly for everyone to see.

Now if you want to do it illegally, knock yourself out. I'll have my pop corn ready for when your rig goes under the crusher.
But i'm not from the states. Seeing TDCis floating around, I was wondering and so my post.
Old January 12th, 2014, 01:43 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
But i'm not from the states. Seeing TDCis floating around, I was wondering and so my post.
So youre a foreigner posting about illegal activities online frequented by US Customs and a slew of folks who work for the US Governemnt.

Wow
Old January 12th, 2014, 01:44 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Seriously though it is illegal in this country, where Canada only has a 15 year rule it would be legal there. As overlanders you should know that doing illegal things in a foregin country is not a wise choice. Watch a few episodes of Locked Up Abroad then head to Canada and dump it there all nice a legal like. http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...Faxr7AodMH4Ajw
Old January 12th, 2014, 01:45 PM
overlandbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
This guy is persistent. Question answered and he wants us to "read" his post.
so your saying all the members on here with TDCi bonnets on their nice new Pumas are illegal. Surely its those guys that should be hiding from these agencies mentioned.

Looks like forums here are the same as everywhere else. Lets start a flaming naysayer of doom thread rather than discuss what the real question was.

------ Follow up post added January 12th, 2014 01:50 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Seriously though it is illegal in this country, where Canada only has a 15 year rule it would be legal there. As overlanders you should know that doing illegal things in a foregin country is not a wise choice. Watch a few episodes of Locked Up Abroad then head to Canada and dump it there all nice a legal like. http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...Faxr7AodMH4Ajw
wasn't saying I was going to sell it here. I was asking "can I". If i did, can it be registered.

Looks like Canada is the only option then. TA

They don't normally lock you up for selling a car, more like they charge you upto $25,000 fine,,,,or something. I don't think I have that type of money...I could sell a kidney...maybe theres tax on that aswell.
Old January 12th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:

The only reason of my EDIT is : " I googled you and noticed ( as pointed by Russell ) you were a genuine article not a CBP ( Custom and Border Patrol ) agent, although asking the dumbest question someone could ask in a public forum, so I gave you the courtesy and edited my post simply stating SERIOUSLY?

Seriously was intended as you are asking a question at the same level of:

Do someone know a Hitman to hire, or buy an illegal machine gun, do they exist, OF COURSE, would you ask publicly for their service, well that is what falls under a WANK STAIN move.

I am sure someone would love to have your vehicle as a parts, but sadly, even that while the vehicle is in US soil, will be a crime.

Again, not that some people haven't done, and not sure how they did it, but once thing I am 100% confident they did was NOT publicly advertise it

Good luck and BTW , cool truck and trip
Old January 12th, 2014, 01:56 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
No one is "flaming" you. You asked a question (one that has been hashed out ad nauseam here) you just don't seem to like the answer you got. No one here is going to tell you how to commit an illegal act. Period.
Old January 12th, 2014, 01:57 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
so your saying all the members on here with TDCi bonnets on their nice new Pumas are illegal. Surely its those guys that should be hiding from these agencies mentioned. Looks like forums here are the same as everywhere else. Lets start a flaming naysayer of doom thread rather than discuss what the real question was.
Good lord dude. Youre not presenting yourself well, at all.

Complete non-US vehicles younger than 25 years or any motor not federalized in the US younger than 25 years is not legal.

That rule does not apply to non-motor parts like bonnets.

Your real question was answered immediately. What more do you want? After you "flamed" a long standing member of this forum and continued with questions about illegal activities in a foreign country is when you were "flamed."

Im sure someone would buy your Defender here in the states and get it registered if that is what you want to hear. Its been done plenty of times. Just because there is a law prohibiting it doesnt mean it prevents it.

Good Luck.
Old January 12th, 2014, 02:01 PM
overlandbirds

18 posts to get to a....

No you can't sell it or break it up. The ones you've seen in the 90's were legally imported by LRNA from specific years and a specific amount of vehicles in low numbers. The others you've seen are likely illegally registered and I don't know how. You'd be better off selling it in Canada where its legal if its over 15 years old which yours is.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, d110