Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 12th, 2014, 02:07 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
You should sell your 1994, buy a super cheap defender here and export that or anything really (in order to get your bond back f you had to pay one) since customs seems to not know anything about your truck. You could probably sell it and they would never even know...

Not legal advice.

I'm a buyer for it as parts only what's the least you'd take for it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 12th, 2014, 02:12 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandbirds View Post
18 posts to get to a....

No you can't sell it or break it up. The ones you've seen in the 90's were legally imported by LRNA from specific years and a specific amount of vehicles in low numbers. The others you've seen are likely illegally registered and I don't know how. You'd be better off selling it in Canada where its legal if its over 15 years old which yours is.

Don't be so snappy, all the posts happenened ( like Murphy Law ) as a reaction to your action, so drink some antifreeze and cool off.

Many members on this board are Canadians and your Audience for your potential sale, not sure acting like a Wanker is the right way to find a customer.

So you know, while Legal in Canada age wise, that vehicle will have to be submitted as an Import Vehicle, and most likely, will have to be handle at a Customs Office , and other bits will have to fall in place, not as simple as " Give me the Money and I give you the 110 and V5 "
Old January 12th, 2014, 02:14 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

You could export it to Canada and sell it. Frankly, a RHD 94 is not worth enough money to risk doing something questionable with it by selling it here.
Advertisement

Old January 12th, 2014, 02:15 PM
overlandbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
You should sell your 1994, buy a super cheap defender here and export that or anything really (in order to get your bond back f you had to pay one) since customs seems to not know anything about your truck. You could probably sell it and they would never even know...

Not legal advice.

I'm a buyer for it as parts only what's the least you'd take for it?
I'm not sure i'd consider it now if its illegal. Doesn't look like its legal on any level. I'd happily pay the 2.5% tax on parts but that doesn't look legal either. Especially for the big ticket items like the Engine. In the absence of any concrete advice on legailty I'll sell it in Canada probably. Theres no bond on cars entering the USA as they do not use Carnet de Passage and are not part of the scheme. Its mainly Africa that use that although Australia do as they too are paranoid about imports. Seems strange that the US is paranoid but don't use the recognised system.
Old January 12th, 2014, 02:58 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
He can't sell any parts off it? How much for the roof rack?

You little rebel, I like you.
Old January 12th, 2014, 03:39 PM
overlandbirds

I'll have to seek additional advice before i start selling second hand bits. I do not want to knowingly break the law which is why I was asking in the first place.

I suppose the Fridge, Roof Rack and all my spares are fare game if i pay the tax on the ticket price which I know in Indiana is 2.5% as thats what they charged me on the new Gearbox import in November. I have invoices for all of it so I suppose I just show that and pay duty on them. They are officially classed as personal posessions so i'd need to do some investigations on selling some personal posessions whilst on a "tourist" visa.

The car is actually also classed as PP but thats of course a no no. It going to be 6 months before we can be in a situation to start selling off stuff. Quicker if its for the car and everything else in Canada.

The only thing we can't sell with the car (if the US follows the same rules as the rest of the world) is the Radio, Spare Wheels and the Car. This is all part of International Law which as an aside Florida didn't seem to read when they introduced the mandatory International Driving licence law last year. Since repealed as someone read it and pointed out international law superceded Fedral and State US law. Not before it upset a lot of tourists who were arrested and fined.
Old January 12th, 2014, 05:23 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
quietly sell it to someone for "parts". There are plenty of people who are building/re-building crusty D-110s that would love to stick all the Puma bits on their truck. The real question is what will you take for it?

I can tell you this though.....just because some ass clowns are running around asking $100,000 for their shady Puma 110s here in the states, it doesn't mean yours is worth that. I don't know if that's what you were thinking. If I were interested in it (if I were rebuilding mine per-se), I'd give you fair market value of whatever its worth in the UK as it sits. I wouldn't care about the title or registering it because all that would be left of it would be a frame when I got through with it. Nobody with any brains is interested in VIN-swapping and dealing with the risk.
Old January 12th, 2014, 05:34 PM
javelinadave
-
-

He could sell it all as parts or for off road use only. It won't be able to be titled ever without the proper import documents. I'm not an expert at this, this is only my public school educated opinion.
Old January 12th, 2014, 09:08 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
I was under the impression (could be wrong) that when you transport a vehicle as an expat to the USA to be driven here you had to export it upon your leave. Again it's just a recollection I have from when I imported my truck (the search for loopholes )

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, d110