Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 8th, 2015, 07:30 AM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
selfie drone

not affiliated in any way, but I'm getting one of these...

https://www.lily.camera

and here's the demo video:

it has a top speed of 25mph, various fly options, tracker, but does not have the ability to swap out batteries. that means only a 20 min fly time for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 8th, 2015, 07:44 AM
curry
brandon curry
Series 1 and 110.

Registry
The non-removeable battery and lack of remote control are kind of a bummer. I have a Parrot Bebop drone that is pretty awesome, but it's definitely not for selfies.
Old July 8th, 2015, 07:45 AM
Himalaya
Mark WS
1995 Nas, 86 D110, 97 Hummer H1

Thanks for posting this. I was enthusiastic about purchasing this after viewing.
Searching for more information I then Watched this video.

I think it may need some fine tuning before it goes to market. The videos were posted in May. Perhaps they have fixed the bugs. I am investigating further. Seems like a must have.
Of course, competitor units will be quick to follow. The drone I purchased 5 years ago sucks. We don't use it. No way I will trust the old one to carry my camera. So it sits in the box unused.
$200 anyone? haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Kevin88RRC
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC

I was just looking at that the other night. It's pretty cool but the lack of interchangeable batteries makes it almost pointless. 20 min flight time than 2 hours to charge... no fun.

And just when you thought selfie sticks were stupid & annoying. Ski slopes will be interesting next season too.
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
dam impressive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 15th, 2015, 12:54 AM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
Like I said, I'm not affiliated with these guys, don't know them personally, don't know who they are, etc. But if you want to get in on the pre-order, then today (July 15) is the deadline...

https://www.lily.camera
Old July 15th, 2015, 01:23 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I can see drone wars breaking out at Land Rover rallies....

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 15th, 2015, 03:31 AM
Himalaya
Mark WS
1995 Nas, 86 D110, 97 Hummer H1

Investigated. Not yet on the market. Pre-order only. Fabulous product once they have it de-bugged and working.
Old July 15th, 2015, 01:35 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis
Camel Trophy 110 sorta :)

selfie drone

I looked into it, my issue is 20min flight time and 2 hour recharge time. Since you can't t swap the battery out this didn't seem worth it to me. Otherwise I think it's pretty cool.

Didn't see the identical earlier post: I second that thought
Old July 15th, 2015, 02:11 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Randy I sent you a PM. Not to burst your bubble and hopefully you didnt order it already but I've heard from a credible source that Himalayas comments are probably pretty accurate.
Old July 15th, 2015, 02:19 PM
LakeLBJ
CC
SOLD - 1987 D90 LHD / 200TDI

Registry
Don't waste your time. The Lily looks cool but the fine print shows the real issue - it's not shipping for at least a year. By that time, the major players will have obstacle avoidance technology and capabilities way beyond the Lily. The technology is changing so rapidly that you should never pre-order a drone, the prices are dropping like crazy and the tech gets so much better month to month. If you need a drone today, get a $1000 Phantom 3, it's an amazing piece of tech.
Old July 15th, 2015, 02:44 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeLBJ View Post
Don't waste your time. The Lily looks cool but the fine print shows the real issue - it's not shipping for at least a year. By that time, the major players will have obstacle avoidance technology and capabilities way beyond the Lily. The technology is changing so rapidly that you should never pre-order a drone, the prices are dropping like crazy and the tech gets so much better month to month. If you need a drone today, get a $1000 Phantom 3, it's an amazing piece of tech.
I looked at the Lily a while ago and thought it was really cool. I would love to have this while snowboarding and riding bikes.

But thought the same things you did. And if it worked really well GoPro would buy it and have it out at the same launch time.
Old July 15th, 2015, 07:29 PM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
Randy I sent you a PM. Not to burst your bubble and hopefully you didnt order it already but I've heard from a credible source that Himalayas comments are probably pretty accurate.
Thanks John, thanks guys. I was going to pull the trigger but thought I'd check here first. Glad I did. I think I'd want to have obstacle avoidance and other stuff on my drone.
Old July 15th, 2015, 07:51 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
20 min flight time is fine with me.
I'd like to get one or two snowboard runs of me and the kiddo...but I dont need 3 hours worth.

Of course, some of this is price-dependent.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old July 15th, 2015, 07:52 PM
flananuts
Matthew
LRC Customs #003 D110 Soft Top

Registry
I was one of the original $500 early adopters and recognize a long time table. I did the same thing with Tile and although it took time I got 12 tiles for half the price they are today. I definitely wasn't huge on the short flight time but I'm a dork and I do dumb stuff. Did you happen to see the Double Cab I over paid for?
Old July 15th, 2015, 08:40 PM
Kevin88RRC
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC

10-20 min flight time seems to be the norm.... which is typically fine if you have changeable batteries. 20 min flight time does not mean 20 min usable footage.

A Phantom 3 just got delivered to my house today.... too bad it's not mine but I may become the pilot! I'm considering getting proper training. I feel certification will be needed in the commercial world and I think it should be required too. I've worked with a few good drone teams & they make it look easy but they have many hours invested.
Old July 15th, 2015, 08:53 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
the issue here is that you are essentially funding their ongoing R&D. Personally id rather pay more for a Gen 2 product once it gets all the kinks worked out. Ill certainly be one of the first inline when that happens.
Old July 15th, 2015, 10:27 PM
flananuts
Matthew
LRC Customs #003 D110 Soft Top

Registry
I don't disagree on your comment about funding R&D but I suspect I would be well positioned to "upgrade" mine to next gen as a super early adopter

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat