Seeking South America Defender Restoration Services - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 2nd, 2012, 07:19 PM
Gabriel Alcalde
Seeking South America Defender Restoration Services

Greetings from Lima Peru

Looking for you guys to recommend a high quality Defender rebuild/restoration facility in South America.

I have a chance to pick up a tired but unmolested, semi-rust free 1998 ROW 110 300Tdi 5 door for a fair price here in Lima and want to have it restored/rebuild on an midrange budget into a safe and sound expedition vehicle (think Safari HP or RiverhouseMini type projects)(galvy frame, new this, new that).

I am an American who gets to spend 4-6 months a year in Peru due to family.

Said family consists of 2 adults and 2 (non-driving-age) kids who plan on using said truck solely as an Expedition Vehicle around South America getting as high up and as far into the environment as possible.

Why this particular vehicle –

-Unmolested ROW 110s are few and far between here.
-We want the reliability of a 300tdi (which would be rebuilt) (not the electrics of a Td5 or Puma)
-Need the engine to be original to car to keep paperwork hassle to minimum
-Must already be a Peru registered vehicle ---again – makes for MUCH less hassle.-Will be stored here, registered here and taxed here.
-Peru import laws tight – cannot import anything over 5years old. Negates finding a sweet Argentine or Brazil 110 and bringing it in.
-In Peru, I can buy and keep car on my Tourist visa and more importantly take it out of the country when needed. (Compare with Argentina where a tourist can buy a car but NOT take it out of the country.)
-Just cuz it HAS to be a Defender 110.

The internet has not yet yielded any firm leads on a SA restoration facility.

I have not found a service in Peru that could carry out what I consider an appropriate rebuild – and although Peruvian labor is very economical, the adaptive ingenuity that they employ is often times suspect and prone to catastrophic breakdown.

The local land Rover dealership deals mostly in high end sales and service and would not be an economical choice.

There are no Land Rover clubs that I find.

So... do you guys know of any contacts or how would you approach this task???
Any resources that I can access that I may not have considered?

Or would it just be easier to ship the car over to Europe on a “restoration holiday” and have the work done by someone reputable there and then ship it back?

Kindest regards from a long time D-90 Stalker.

Old April 2nd, 2012, 07:27 PM
Paul Clay
1983 110
Originally Posted by Peru-Defender View Post

There are no Land Rover clubs that I find.
Have you tried this?

And welcome.
1983 110
1970 SIIA 88, Sold
1996 Disco I, RIP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

restoration, service