Security glass of tint.. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 8th, 2015, 02:17 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Security glass of tint..

Anyone have any experience or opinion on replacing the defender door glass with a security glass or even just a security tint.. I replaced the rear windows on my other build with a lexan type material that doesn't break but it does scratch easier than glass.. I'm looking to prevent a smash and grab or break in while travelling..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2015, 03:09 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Corning Gorilla glass ?

Just guessing. I don't know much about it except it is scratch resistant and used on some smart phones.
Old February 8th, 2015, 03:24 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

I have made my own windows before since the door glass is a flat glass.. When I worked for rolls Royce we used to get them made smoked and security because they were flat also.. So it should be simply a matter of sending templates to a glass company
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2015, 03:26 PM
Makeitdark
Dave
1984 Defender 90 300Tdi

Registry
Security film is a good idea. You get to retain your factory windows but with an added protection. Like most window films if broken the window will stay together. However, with security film unlike a normal tint it will hold together a lot stronger and take longer to actually penetrant the broken glass. You know as well as I do that a determined thief is going to get in if they want regardless if there is plastic or glass in place of your door windows. Not sure where someone would obtain "gorilla glass"? I think a combination of security film and maybe even a security system with an impact or glass breakage sensor would be a good start. It's sad we even have to address these situations. Here's a link to a video of 3M security film for reference: you might have to open this link in a new window?

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...75449001&vty=q
Old February 8th, 2015, 03:55 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
is there actually a company that makes glass that's shatter resistant? (not aftermarket film). I had my glass custom cut from 35% tint tempered safety glass. However, it's just as strong as any other safety glass - there's no real protection other than the thickness of the glass.

My guess is that the best protection in the rear would be custom cut 1/4" 50%-75% tint panes. The roll-up/down windows would need to be safety filmed due to the inability of thicker glass to fit the channels.
Old February 8th, 2015, 04:58 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
is there actually a company that makes glass that's shatter resistant? (not aftermarket film). I had my glass custom cut from 35% tint tempered safety glass. However, it's just as strong as any other safety glass - there's no real protection other than the thickness of the glass.

My guess is that the best protection in the rear would be custom cut 1/4" 50%-75% tint panes. The roll-up/down windows would need to be safety filmed due to the inability of thicker glass to fit the channels.
for this exact reason, I replaced both of my factory front rollup windows with 1/4" laminate glass, and added darkest legal window tint to both. fit in channel no issue. little tight at first but good now. After I had my tempered glass vaporize from a door slam on me, I had nightmares about that happening on an arctic trip some point in the future, or during a car jack in the middle of Central America and decided something better is needed. laminate can be busted through, but like the windshield, a vandal would have to work at it to get in. no tab and grab. all my other windows are very dark/limo tint, so nobody can see that I have gear back there from any window.

------ Follow up post added February 8th, 2015 05:00 PM ------

PS. you don't want it completely impenetrable unless you are cool with first responders roasting marshmallows while you burn upside down in a ditch.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old February 8th, 2015, 05:11 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

Agreed, just trying to make it so that it slows em down or attracts a lot of attention doing it (thieves.. Not first responders..lol..).. I figured I could get laminated glass pretty easily in the same thickness, but cost and time factors into it also.. That 3m stuff looks pretty good but laminated glass is less likely to get scratched up..
Old February 8th, 2015, 05:24 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
Anyone have any experience or opinion on replacing the defender door glass with a security glass or even just a security tint.. I replaced the rear windows on my other build with a lexan type material that doesn't break but it does scratch easier than glass.. I'm looking to prevent a smash and grab or break in while travelling..
Mate, it has been demonstrated money is not an issue for you , why not consider ballistic glass of low level protection, call the guys in AL or TX, maybe they can hook you up

( I can't believe I was even nice on this post... I might be getting sick LOL )
Old February 8th, 2015, 05:42 PM
Makeitdark
Dave
1984 Defender 90 300Tdi

Registry
Most security films have scratch coating and they are installed on the inside of the glass (no exterior exposure). Besides I've never met a glass that can't get scratched. A lot of newer cars are now sold with laminated glass (only the front two doors) and outside of some added protection of shattering it's other purpose is for UV protection. I've worked on cars with Kevlar lined doors and bulit proof laminated windows and they are anywhere form 3/8"-1" thick (trucks with stationary windows). I'm not saying that security film is the only way to go but unless there is an anchor point (meaning you plan on never rolling them up or down again) on those roll ups, that window is just going to end up in your front seat in one full piece regardless of what's in its place. You can get some laminated glass cut for you but God forbid someone decides they want in your truck, I think the cost of replacing my door glass would be a lot cheaper if it was to replace the tint at some point rather than having another laminated window cut. I've been tinting (auto and commercial) and have had my business for more than 20 years now and have seen a lot of these scenarios and in the unfortunate situation even after security films and bulit proof glass it all ends up the same. Just trying to help.
Old February 8th, 2015, 06:02 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
Mate, it has been demonstrated money is not an issue for you , why not consider ballistic glass of low level protection, call the guys in AL or TX, maybe they can hook you up

( I can't believe I was even nice on this post... I might be getting sick LOL )
Don't worry goose ... I'm sure it'll pass...take two aspirin and if niceness continues be sure to call me in the morning...call me names that is....
Old February 8th, 2015, 06:07 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
When my tempered glass window shattered and I decided to go laminate, I think it cost my $200 all in to have it cut from windshield glass and installed on the driver's door. Included in that price was a plexiglass template of the window glass that I can use down the road if I ever need glass cut again, since it can be cut from a flat glass sheet. that way I can drop it with a glass shop, and pick it up later without my truck being held up. Figure about $70 per window for the cut glass itself.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old February 8th, 2015, 06:13 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

I had my D90 broken into 6 years ago. I was out in the Tillamook woods and parked by the side of the road. They smashed the passenger window and the sliding glass window on the same side. I did not have tint or a laminate so there was thousands of pieces of glass inside the car. I'm still finding glass pieces 6 years later. A film/tint is a great idea in many ways because it will hold all those pieces together. The tint I ended up getting is the Llumar Magnum film. Industry standard, a lot of tinters use it. Something like this. I went with the darkest tint legal in OR. I don't care how ghetto some think the limo-tint is. For me it is purely a functional thing. It also keeps the heat down in addition to making it hard to see whats inside.

The whole "if they want to get in they'll find a way" is BS. The vast majority of smash & grabs are impulse decisions based on easy targets and the thieves want to spend as few seconds inside the vehicle as possible. Sometimes they smash a car window and wait for someone to come check so that they're not in the vehicle should someone come out and check what the noise was all about. This means that there's a lot you can do to discourage them from choosing your car and going to the next one. Leaving nothing of value visible inside and adding tint will go a long way.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Old February 8th, 2015, 06:22 PM
giftshopduane
Chris luciano
72 Series 3 88"

My buddy installs window tints and films.. he mostly does commercial glass. (he was flown to the Pentagon post 911 to bomb proof the windows..) I can put you in touch with him, I am sure he's send you some or point you in the right direction..

Actually..

http://tintaglass.com/safety.html

Alan Rodgers... he's a great guy. Kiwi from New Zealand.
Old February 8th, 2015, 06:26 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Better yet. Have him post up his advice here. I'm sure he's seen it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftshopduane View Post
My buddy installs window tints and films.. he mostly does commercial glass. (he was flown to the Pentagon post 911 to bomb proof the windows..) I can put you in touch with him, I am sure he's send you some or point you in the right direction..

Actually..

-
-
Old February 8th, 2015, 06:28 PM
giftshopduane
Chris luciano
72 Series 3 88"

I'll call him tomorrow and see...
Old February 8th, 2015, 07:02 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftshopduane View Post

Actually..

No way mate... I'm not taking any advice from one of those bloody sheep shaggers......
Old February 8th, 2015, 07:28 PM
giftshopduane
Chris luciano
72 Series 3 88"

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
No way mate... I'm not taking any advice from one of those bloody sheep shaggers......
Aussie?? That's funny! NVRMND!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ecu, glass