Secure Storage - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 8th, 2003, 12:04 AM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

Secure Storage

So I just got back home with my new D-90. Problem is where do I store anything valuable. I looked through the archives and Troy was selling some storage boxes he had made up to fit over the wheel wells. They look great, I like how they are flush with the bed sides. Were these custom or can I buy these somewhere? Also, do I have to move my stock speakers if I get a pair. Thanks - Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2003, 12:26 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Check tuffy. they have a number of applications. I know I have seen them in the Defenders.
Old December 8th, 2003, 01:10 AM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Joe,
Check the pic of Troy's storage boxes installed in my truck in the thread "Rear Drawer System". There's about 8" or so between the factory speakers and the back of the boxes. I've noticed that they block a bit of the sound, but with the soft top, I don't think I really get much sound out of them anyway.

Troy had those made special. I'm not sure if he's "taking orders". Email him. I like them a lot. A perfect fit and much bigger/better than the Tuffy boxes.

I've got the '94, and the console is different than your '97. I don't think there's a cubby box replacement for you.

Dave Marchand posted pics of the floor-mounted, Tuffy storage box he just put in. It looks very nice and could be an option if you want something that big and don't mind the lost bed space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2003, 05:48 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

I have the Tuffy super security box on each wheel well and they look awesome, and you put anything in those huge boxes. They will fit in front of your speaker boxes. I'll post some pictures as soon as I get my d90 back together again
Old December 8th, 2003, 06:02 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

Yousef,

Pictures would be COOL. Thanks.
Old December 8th, 2003, 06:41 PM
Troys
Troy Smith
1995 D90 SW

Joe;

I just sold my last two. However, I am considering making another run. I just need a commitment for three more to meet my minimum order. I had them made "custom" if you will to match the storage boxes once made by Fabritron. I believe everyone who has purchased them is happy. Just let me know.

Thanks!

Troy
Old December 10th, 2003, 04:18 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

Troy,

What are the measurements of the box? If I order I would take two. Any pictures of one installed would help. I want to see how they fit.

Thanks,

Joe
Old December 10th, 2003, 04:31 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Joe,

Check the tread referanded above. Ken has posted pictures of what they look like and I think there is one other here and on the old archive forum. These things are real nice. If I had some cash, I would pick up a set myself. Much more effective storage than the Tuffys I think.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old December 10th, 2003, 06:22 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

old photo from 11/20

Here is the photo of the box from the nov 20th post.

Troy, what are the specifics on the box and the cost? I am interested but want more info. Also, there was an old question on the waterproofing of the box. How does it do against rain?

Different question. Behind the seats is a support rail - not L.R. black but square unfinished metal. Did you add that and does the storage box secure to it?
Attached Images
File Type: bmp storage box.bmp (465.0 KB, 224 views)
Old December 10th, 2003, 06:23 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Got me why it posted twice? 1st time had a message pic was to big (though I poached it from another thread).
Still my computer skills amaze me.
Old December 10th, 2003, 06:32 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

Those look really nice. I am definitely interested. Just need to know the measurements and how much.

Paul - thanks for the pics. We should get together sometimes. I get up to Thousand Oaks now and again for work, and if you're ever in Irvine let me know. I always enjoy meeting other D-90 owners. I am going to solicit some help attaching my SafariGard brushgaurd when it gets in if you're interested. :-)
Old December 10th, 2003, 06:59 PM
Troys
Troy Smith
1995 D90 SW

I am doing this from memory but the boxes are 32" long x 13" wide(at the bottom) x 9" tall. The contour is cut to fully utilize the bend in the rover rear quarters. The weather strip can be stuck on the inside to prevent water from entering the box. I hesitate to say that makes them water proof. Perhaps Ken could answer that better than me since all my trucks are SW. The going rate is $175 each not including shipping. The boxes can be secured using the same holes as the seats. No other way has really occured to me. I can e-mail some better pictures if anyone would like to e-mail me off line.

BTW - To be honest with everyone. I only make about $15 per box at $175. I just like being able to offer fellow rover nuts a really nice product.

Those of you who may be interested, just let me know and I can begin production of the next batch.

Ken - would your buddy still want a set with the lid hinged differently?

Thanks guys!

Troy
Old December 10th, 2003, 07:36 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Paul - you may be clicking twice on the Submit button which might be doing it maybe.

I deleted the first post since the picture seemed to be corrupted. Its ok in the 2nd post.

Troy - If you email me a bunch of good pictures and a write up about them, I will gladly add them to the Custom Mods section.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old December 10th, 2003, 08:42 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

The weather stripping is stuff I bought from Home Depot. I installed this fall, after I put on the complete soft top, so I can't attest to weather resistance. I would think they're pretty good though. I installed Tuffy locks, keyed the same as my console, and they keep the top real snug.

Paul, the unpainted angle bar you see is for my Badger drop curtain. It has a plastic rail that fits into a flange, keeping it taught.

CVC, I sent a bunch of pics to Troy for him to use for "marketing". I guess I owe you ANOTHER write up.... Now that you have posted all the Paragon pics, I have no excuse for being lazy. haha

Troy, I can't remember who wanted the boxes to be hinged the other way. Perhaps it was Hippert...
Old December 10th, 2003, 09:06 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

Troy,

I'm in for two boxes. Let me know how you want to handle the transfer of monies and timing.

Thanks

Joe
Old December 11th, 2003, 11:28 AM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Joe, I'm sorry I didn't get the pictures yet since i just my D90 back together and with my luck my camera stopped working. Anyway, Troys boxes looks very good, I really like how they are shaped to the body which gives more space to store stuff.
Old December 11th, 2003, 01:19 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

Yousef,

No problem! I agree. The reason I'm going with Troy's box is b/c of the shape.
Old December 11th, 2003, 01:40 PM
mgrgpg
Mark
1989 D110

Ken,

I am awaiting Troy's last two boxes, and I want to put some locks in also, can you give me some information on the Tuffy locks.

Thanks,
Mark
Old December 11th, 2003, 09:44 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Mark, Just call Tuffy and tell them that you want to buy the Part #101, CamLocks. Optionally, buy the dust covers, part #091.
http://www.tuffyproducts.com/accesso...cessories.html

If you already have a Tuffy cubby box, tell them that you want to key them the same and they'll hook you up.

When installing, you'll have to trim off a bit of the cam. It has a notch in it, apparently for the Tuffy consoles/boxes, and you don't want that notched out part. I think it's stronger without it. I cut off the cam at the notch, then drilled a 3/4 hole, 1-1/2" from the edge of the lid, centered lengthwise on the box. It fits perfect, as if it was designed that way.

You could also get locks like this from Home Depot/Lowes, and they may be a buck or two cheaper, but I certainly think that it's worth the few bucks to get the better Tuffy locks, even if you don't need them keyed with a cubby box. You know the quality of HD/Lowe's hardware...

As for the dust covers, I bought them for the summer time when running without the top. Doubt that you need them if you've got a SW.

I'm sure you saw the pics on the "Drawer System" thread. Any other questions, let me know.
Old December 11th, 2003, 11:11 PM
vnrover
Paul Huynh
1997 D90 ST #1302

Thumbs up Count me in

Troy,

Please count me in for 1 box, RIGHT HAND cargo side (I imagine it makes a difference cuz of the grooves) for your next badge. Please confirm via my email that you got this.

Thanks a lot,
Paul

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ecu