Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 24th, 2008, 07:25 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Seat belt mods on '97 SW jumpseats

Kind of an absurd question, but I have a family problem.. My kids (both in boosters) love our 1997 SW more than life itself, but the lap belt on the jump just doesn't hold the seat down tightly. They flop around too much. I can't legally put the boosters in the front seat, even if I don't have airbags.. So in order for them to ride, I have to either drop the booster seat (not legal or safe) or consider something that might be undoable, like a seatbelt modification.

So, the question is, has anyone put 3-point belts on the jumpseats? Would that even be feasible/safe/legal? I prefer the jumpseats and don't wanna swap for a big forward facing seat, if someone is thinking that is an alternative. Any other thoughts?

I'm figuring I'll be told to buy a 110. Which wouldn't be a bad idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 24th, 2008, 07:31 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Why not swap for folding forward facing seats a la Exmoor? I personally would not put my kids in inward-facing jumpseats, but my kids are very small. I know that makes me sound like a total safety nazi, considering I used to ride in the back of my dad's Corvette all the time when I was a kid with no seats, belts, or anything.

You know you can get both retracting and non-retracting belts for the inward facing seats? The non-retracting ones might allow you to tighten the belts down better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old September 24th, 2008, 07:44 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

I think in any state you can not put a booster in an inward facing seat no matter the type of belts used. I know in CA you cant but I am pretty sure it is a federal law. I looked into foward facing jump seats from Exmoor but the ones that are truly legal for a booster or car seat were big bucks. A member here just put in the Exmoor seats and posted some pics I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 24th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
These are the seats you want. They are forward facing and have the 3 point seat belts built in. Check with Stephen (Safarirover), I think he's a distributor.

Exmoor Trim

Pic of seats-
Exmoor Forward Facing Jump Seats for Child's Seats

Will H.
Old September 24th, 2008, 08:27 PM
isleofman
Lee Davis
'95 D90 "BeastLee"

with booster seats/younger kids forward facing really is the safest option. my kids are older (10,12 and 16). I have the inward facing bench seat and had the harness type safety belts installed. I adjusted the straps to fit nice and snug - but not too tight so that the little gem stones can't breath!!! I know it is not ideal but at least - as noted by the kids - it looks cool The harness definately keeps a firm grip on their bodies but it's the neck that could take a beating if anything did happen. Bottom line - forward facing is best.
Old September 24th, 2008, 08:28 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

You can legally put one kid up front... We do it with our SW. My 4.5 year old Daughter rides up there.

Old September 24th, 2008, 11:59 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Why not get a ST style rear bench seat? You don't even have to take out the four jump seats to install it.
Old September 25th, 2008, 07:43 AM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh
These are the seats you want. They are forward facing and have the 3 point seat belts built in.

Pic of seats-
Exmoor Forward Facing Jump Seats for Child's Seats

Will H.
Oh, wow. Those are great. I will seriously consider them. Or I'll add a bench seat and keep the inward seats. And I'll check the Virginia laws on front seat booster use because I could be wrong. As of now, the front is clearly safer than the back.

Thanks, everyone. I feel like these 6 responses just tapped into 95 years of collective D90 obsession.

-Steve
Old September 25th, 2008, 11:27 AM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
I don't think putting a small child in the side facing jump seats is a good idea at all.
The forward facing bench seat is better, but I still think its not good enough.
I recently purchased 3rd row seats off a Discovery II on ebay that I will be custom installing in my D90 sometime in the near future (so my baby will be able to go around in my D90 ) There are a couple threads here that discuss the different opions and I like this one the best. I think the exmoor ones sit too high, just my opinion.

When I get them installed I will probably be looking at many different seatbelt options, probably modifying as my kid gets bigger.
By this coming spring my baby will be in a forward facing baby seat and should be able to attach well to the Disco II seats pretty well. As she gets bigger and out of the car seat stage I might modify to a 6 point harness.

I'll post picts of what my setup will look like and such.

Gery
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resize of Copy of defender pics 040.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	15400  
Attached Images

Old September 25th, 2008, 11:33 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Inward facing jump seats are dangerous for anyone to be in in an accident, and strictly forbidden by all cars seat and booster seat manufacturers. Even adults are at serious risk for injury in an accident when seated in an inward facing jump seat..

Old September 25th, 2008, 02:13 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepeytr
Inward facing jump seats are dangerous for anyone to be in in an accident, and strictly forbidden by all cars seat and booster seat manufacturers. Even adults are at serious risk for injury in an accident when seated in an inward facing jump seat..
After an exhaustive interweb search, it appears that the *best* route is to avoid the rear seats altogether and belt the booster seat in front. Granted, that's only one kid at a time, but VA allows it if the vehicle does not have front and passenger side airbags. Then we wait until one of them turns 8 and then both can ride.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
97, mod, seats