Screwing with the $&/! Tops! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 18th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Michael Christian
97 D90 ST British Racing Green
Screwing with the $&/! Tops!

I called yesterday the spring season is officially here, I started in on taking the top off of my truck to exchange it for the Surrey top. I was doing everything right, I laid it out in the sun, cleaned the cage, had help and a beer in my hand. I got to the last strap to pull and, yes, I ripped it! $&?!, hate that I did this. I guess a 15 year top should not last forever but damn! Anyone ever have any luck with a vinyl catch kit or sewing it straight up? I'll have to shoot a pic of the mess I've made. Oh well!

Also I purchased a custom waterproof cover for the truck last year and it doesnt seem to repel water as it did new. Is there anything that you know of that I can spray or wash it in to enhance the water repealing? Sort of disappointing that it has only taken a year and water is seeping through.

Old March 18th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Rick Newman
85 Defender 110
I have used a waterproofing product from "Panther Primitives". They make custom canvass tents/awnings. They also have a cleaner that has worked very well. Check web for the site. They might be able to help out with the *@$#* strap issue also.

Old March 18th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699
Let's see. What is the name of that manufacturer of tops??? They are on the Cape.......
Oh yeah,

Seriously, they make the best tops around hands down. I don't know of they can help you out specifically with your problem, but if you buy one of their tops, it will be the last one you buy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat