Scrapiron ripoff merchants - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 14th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Hillbilly Raider
MANDY STRINGER
Tombraider90

Scrapiron ripoff merchants

checkout what scorpion racing do to the little guy!

WWW.LR4X4.COM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 14th, 2006, 09:27 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Are they ripping off internet forums now? What are you directing to?
Old March 14th, 2006, 10:43 PM
read
Read Kerlin
'94 w/ POE HT

I think he means this, http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=4300
Advertisement

Old March 15th, 2006, 04:45 AM
Hillbilly Raider
MANDY STRINGER
Tombraider90

Small guy runs own business ..invents disk handbrake kit...... markets it advertises it....... sells it....
SCORPION COPIES IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! even use photo of HIS product in THEIR advertisment!!!!!
NOW THATS NOT PLAYING CRICKET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
we here in the UK do not take kindly to this Sort of thing and urge you guys to follow us in our boycott and not buy SCRAPIRON PRODUCTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old March 15th, 2006, 06:41 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Sounds like a plan to me, got a link to the original guys work by any chance?

I'd be interested in that disk kit possibly.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 15th, 2006, 08:31 AM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

I'll have to ask them about this but what I don't understand is that they have the disc brake listed with the manufacturer name X eng

Why are they saying they copied it and are selling it as their own? Hmmm, I'll find out.

So Hans, you would boycott and company that copies another companies design?
Old March 15th, 2006, 09:05 AM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

"why are they saying they copied it" x-eng.co.uk is a small company and the owner -- this guy(simon i think) is the original creator-inventor.
Old March 15th, 2006, 09:09 AM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdh
"why are they saying they copied it" x-eng.co.uk is a small company and the owner -- this guy(simon i think) is the original creator-inventor.
Correct, but it's listed on their website under his company name (X eng) it's not listed as an original Scorpion item. Again, I am not defending Scorpion, I'm just trying to get some facts so that I can ask them what's going on.
Old March 15th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Hillbilly Raider
MANDY STRINGER
Tombraider90

Simon made the first and original sets .. sold them via scrapion if i am correct, scrapiron went to Simons manufactuer (behind his back) and got them to copy his set and then told simon they wouldnt sell his as they were doing their own???

Old March 15th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Westiia
Alex West
1969 Series IIA 88" ST

x-eng thought up the disc handbrake sold it to scorpion to retail and through his own website, now they have gone to his supliers of the caliper and are manufacturing their own copy! I think this is out of order andwill buy mine from x-eng http://www.x-eng.co.uk/Index.asp?MID=18
Old March 15th, 2006, 11:57 AM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westiia
x-eng thought up the disc handbrake sold it to scorpion to retail and through his own website, now they have gone to his supliers of the caliper and are manufacturing their own copy! I think this is out of order andwill buy mine from x-eng http://www.x-eng.co.uk/Index.asp?MID=18
I'm going to look into this a bit more but we doesn't Simon talk to the manufacturer and tell him not to sell to anyone else but him? Looks like Simon came up with a pretty neat disc brake and should have it patented.
Old March 15th, 2006, 02:21 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC
Looks like Simon came up with a pretty neat disc brake and should have it patented.
Not sure how stuff works in the UK…

I doubt he could get one for the assembly here in the US since the same style setup has been used on Toyota, jeeps and carts for years.

Maybe he could have received one for a part of it or the mounting system specific to rover or an LT230 but even still someone would only need to make a certain percentage of improvement to avoid that issue.

Regardless it is a lengthy/ expensive/ involved process that most will no bother with unless they have a unique groundbreaking revolutionary new product/ process.

With that said there should be a few things he could do to protect his copyright/ intellectual property but he will have to act quick.

Someone should pass along the following link, it has some excellent information in it about protecting intellectual property. Tell him to download and listen to the following seminar.

“Why Your Company's Intellectual Property Is a Valuable Asset and What to Do to Protect It From Infringement”

http://www.sema.org/main/semaorghome.aspx?id=51488

Take my post with a grain of salt as I am not an expert or anything, just a small business owner trying to protect my a$$ets and passing on what I have found/learned.
Old March 15th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Would I consider boycotting a company that copies other ideas? Possibly, but it all depends on the situation. In this case, I don't have enough yet to go on. After all, the disk brake concept for a parking brake isn't new.
But if the situation is that Scorpion is advertising stuff from X-eng, and showing pictures/logos of theirs, then is instead selling parts of their own manufacture instead. That I do take issues with.

-Hans

Old March 15th, 2006, 06:48 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Would I consider boycotting a company that copies other ideas? Possibly, but it all depends on the situation. In this case, I don't have enough yet to go on. After all, the disk brake concept for a parking brake isn't new.
But if the situation is that Scorpion is advertising stuff from X-eng, and showing pictures/logos of theirs, then is instead selling parts of their own manufacture instead. That I do take issues with.

-Hans
That's not exactly what is happening, maybe we should hear both sides of the story before making any judgements.
Old March 16th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Yeah, sorry about jumping on the bandwagon here. Heads been a bit cloudy the past week, been going to a couple too many funerals and still kinda grumpy.

-Hans

Old March 16th, 2006, 05:09 AM
Hillbilly Raider
MANDY STRINGER
Tombraider90

if you go on to
www.lr4x4.com
you can read Simons account of what happened, i think you will find that whilst most of us in the UK are aware that copies of LR related items are made /sold all the time it is the underhand way that SR went about it that has got everyones backs up.
Simon is VERY well known in the winchchallenge world and indeed on the fourms and is very approachable (unlike the person at SR)
and THIS is why this has been the main topic on so many forums!!
It is a very sad fact that in this PC correctness world that you can not tell otherlike minded people of something like this without fear of legal action.

Old March 16th, 2006, 02:55 PM
SYoung
Steve
94 D-90 #8
D-90 Source Vendor

I just noticed when fixing my kid's gokart last night- those are just gokart brake calipers and disks.
Crafty idea-
Old March 16th, 2006, 03:00 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYoung
I just noticed when fixing my kid's gokart last night- those are just gokart brake calipers and disks.
Crafty idea-
Actually, they are from a CAT. Do a search on caterpillar rotors and you'll find the calipers also.
Old March 16th, 2006, 03:33 PM
SYoung
Steve
94 D-90 #8
D-90 Source Vendor

Ah cool- I might just make me a set. Seems the gokart prices are better, but they're apparently all made by the same place.
Old March 17th, 2006, 04:59 PM
RoverC
Cliff
1997 D90 ST

X brake

Is there anyone really wanting one of these?
I have a friend who claimed he wanted one, but now looks like he wont. I dont want to wait around on him.
Si at X-eng is a great guy and I can get them at 10% off each if I order more than one.
I am in FL
gfai@mindspring.com
Group buy?

Cliff

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat