School me on upstate NY (Schenectady area) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 10th, 2013, 10:21 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

School me on upstate NY (Schenectady area)

Might have an opportunity in Niskayuna NY and know absolutely nothing about the area so looking for info..

What is there to do?
Where are the good towns / areas to live?
How are the summers and the winters?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 10th, 2013, 10:27 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
Might have an opportunity in Niskayuna NY and know absolutely nothing about the area so looking for info..

What is there to do?
Where are the good towns / areas to live?
How are the summers and the winters?
Talk with Eric Riston. X231!

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old June 10th, 2013, 10:29 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

It is far enough inland that you will miss the epic snow of the syracuse watertown stretch. It will still snow a lot, just usually not insane levels of lake effect snow (LES). Summers are fairly pleasant with usually a couple or few weeks of opressive high 80s low 90s high humidity.

My sister used to live in Troy, but I can't tell you what the nice suburbs are near Schenectady. You are close enough to Albany which is a decent sized city, but not particularly happening. The adorandacks are nice and some nice outdoor activities around there (went a bunch when I was a kid). Eric at AB will know more.

NY state taxes suck all around.

It would not be my first choice as to where to live, but not my last either. Part of me wishes I could move back to western ny, but there are not really jobs there for what I do.
Advertisement

Old June 10th, 2013, 10:54 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
I grew up in Appalachia and Upstate New York scares me.....

Watch the movie Brother's Keeper......
Old June 10th, 2013, 11:05 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Dave:

Pm me your # and I'll call you. You're going to want to live in Saratoga Springs or Lake George area, trust me on this (though probably Saratoga if you like being around civilization). Come visit this summer or before you commit and I'll give you the nickel tour and a free place to crash for the weekend.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old June 11th, 2013, 09:10 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Thanks guys I had no idea that AB was right there. I guess that is a positive for the area since I would have decent access to rover parts unlike here in Colorado. My orders are always placed through Eric so I will send him an email or give him a call.

I have never been to NY and it has never been a place that I have considered living but there is a job opportunity that might make it hard to say no as it could advance my wifeís career significantly.

They will be flying us out shortly to look at the area so just trying to get as much info as I can before we arrive.

Jason, I will send you a PM shortly
Old June 11th, 2013, 10:59 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
No more moves for you until you finish your truck!
Old June 11th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

The city is improving and there are nicer areas. I estimate it will take another 20 before it is a place where people actually want to live.

GE pulled out of Schenectady in the 1960s and the city never recovered. I believe the downtown and certain areas have been refurbished, but the process has been moving very slowly.

Niskayuna, Scotia and Clifton Park are nice suburbs if you are looking for a house. Saratoga is a great place. It is about 45 minutes from Niskayuna.

The guys from AB would know other nice suburbs and in more detail. I didn't spend my college years house hunting

This movie, unfortunately, is a pretty accurate depiction of what the city was like about 10 years ago.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1817273/
Old June 11th, 2013, 12:16 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
No more moves for you until you finish your truck!
Trust me we just purchased a house here last year and I was looking forward to staying put for a while but sometimes the universe has different plans for us....
Old June 11th, 2013, 01:16 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Dave
I have lived in both Colorado and Upstate NY. Winters in Ny are tough compared to Co. The fall in that part of the country is stellar. Both are beautiful in their own way.
Old June 11th, 2013, 02:02 PM
giftshopduane
Chris luciano
72 Series 3 88"

I grew up in the fringes of Albany, not 10 min from Schenectady. Schenectady is nothing to brag about, better off living in Niskayuna, Saratoga Co, Colonie. I've been in the Boston suburbs now for 20 years, not much different IMHO. I like the NY prices, the wide open spaces, the smell (believe it or not) I go home quite a bit to see my father, he lives in Latham up on the Mohawk, its nice. I still get a chuckle out of people here when they bitch about the cold, snow, rain.. its nothing like upstate NY. It was a great place to grow up, I often think about moving back, but we have roots here now.

If you live an active lifestyle in CO don't expect the same outdoors enthusiasm from easterners, you'll have to lead the charge to stay off the couch on weekends. I think you need to keep your eyes open to really appreciate the beauty of that area, there are gems and shitholes everywhere you look in this world. Even here in Boston....
Old June 11th, 2013, 03:58 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Rust
Old June 11th, 2013, 04:32 PM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
Give me a call Schenectady has some not so nice areas but get a few minutes outside and it is very nice. Heck get 45 minutes outside and you could buy my house. Ok ok just kidding on the house bit but I will help all I can.
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat