Scepter vs Wedco - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 27th, 2008, 12:31 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Scepter vs Wedco

Looking at picking up a few new cans. I currently have an old Wedco that has held up pretty well. I wanted to get some input on pros and cons of Scepter vs Wedco. I have seen some folks say that the Scepters leak, while others say they will not. Anything else I should consider? Thoughts, opinions, etc...
Thanks,
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 27th, 2008, 01:39 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

I can not speak to the quality of scepter cans, but I am Very satisfied with my 4 Wedco cans. 8 years and I have never had a drop, weep or any other problems. Absolutely perfect performance IMO.
Old July 27th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
never had any issues with sceptors in the military. it's all we use. def improvement over any metal can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 27th, 2008, 01:43 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Yeah, I've seen a lot of Scepters, and carried a few as well. Never seen any leaks with lots and lots of hard use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 31st, 2008, 10:05 PM
CDN22
Ken
1994 D90

Can't comment on Wedco cans... The only issue I've had with the Scepters is that they bloat quite a bit if not completely full. No leaks so far.
Old June 9th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

So I thought I'd bring this thread back alive to hopefully get some honest unbiased feedback on the new Scepter CARB plastic jerry cans that are legal (and cheap!) here in the US. I just picked up two gas and two diesel ones at West Marine yesterday and I was wondering if anyone else on here has used them and what your experience has been.

I already own 4 Military Scepter Water Cans and I love them. Unfortunately the gas/diesel counterparts are not legal in the US. I also have two Metal Pre-ban Wedco Diesel cans that in my experience are just ok. They are heavy, scratches easily and will eventually rust. The cap is fiddly and will bind up occasionally so that you're unable close it. The CARB Scepters are about half the price (ordered gas ones for $25/each yesterday) of a new Wedco Metal equivalent.

Only problem I discovered is that the Scepter Plastic cans don't seem to fit in most jerry can holders. At least not in my Front Runner holders...maybe I'm missing something. Looks like I'll have to fab up some new jerry can holders.
Old June 9th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Only problem I discovered is that the Scepter Plastic cans don't seem to fit in most jerry can holders. At least not in my Front Runner holders...maybe I'm missing something. Looks like I'll have to fab up some new jerry can holders.
exactly the issue right there. I have both and have respect for both. They are each military grade and very durable.

When I was in Guatemala with NLX, they had wedco style NATO cans in a front runner holder mounted in front of their front runner water tank, and those cans took beating after beating, acting like a brush guard for their water tank, which is pretty damn essential in the Jungle. I have a front runner can holder on my Hannibal rack, and I'm trading with my buddy to go with the Wedco style.

Either way you go, make sure you get viton seals for them if you are running unleaded. I ruined a cap on my Scepters when I decided to store petrol for my wife's disco during a hurricane season.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old June 9th, 2013, 09:18 PM
boswalt
Brian Oswalt
1988 exmod 110

Registry
Some guys from our boat unit picked up the new scepter cans and immediately poured gas all over our storage building floor. Complete pile of crap. I buy the NATO cans at dstactical north of the border and have never had an issue coming south.
Old June 9th, 2013, 09:46 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
I can only speak to scepter cans that say Property of US Govt"

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old June 9th, 2013, 09:54 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Which kind? Military or CARB US retail version?

DS Tactical is great. That's where I got my water cans but the gas can version is not legal in most states to my understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswalt View Post
Some guys from our boat unit picked up the new scepter cans and immediately poured gas all over our storage building floor. Complete pile of crap. I buy the NATO cans at dstactical north of the border and have never had an issue coming south.
Old June 9th, 2013, 11:38 PM
boswalt
Brian Oswalt
1988 exmod 110

Registry
Quote:

DS Tactical is great. That's where I got my water cans but the gas can version is not legal in most states to my understanding.
US property marked military versions.

I think they're banned by EPA but I declare them every time and no one seems to care.
Old June 10th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:

Not illegal @ all to own. Retailers just cannot offer them for sale in the US as they don't meet the wonderful fuel spilling carb requirement. I have 5 of the mfc's and you can buy them on ebay and often on this forum for sale used. They seemingly are immune to everything but fire. Parts are readily available through DS Tactical and they can ship those to us here. I just don't like steel cans but thats my hangup. I have Adventure Trailers holders and they work great. I also had a holder made by Patriot Racks in the Uk on my Front Runner Rack and it held the Scepters fine.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat