Save me from a fate worse than Def - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 29th, 2011, 12:46 PM
whitham_wannabe
Ian Roper
Not yet

Save me from a fate worse than Def

I have a strong desire to own a Defender, and have been looking for a couple of months now to find the right vehicle (preferably a turbo diesel stick 110 county, but V8 would work too ...), but not had much success in my price range.

Frustration led me last night to start thinking "Hmm ... a Jeep Wrangler might be a good alternative".

I need some words of encouragement to keep me from commiting the mortal sin of buying a Jeep product ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 29th, 2011, 12:52 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitham_wannabe View Post
but not had much success in my price range.
What's the price range?
Old March 29th, 2011, 01:03 PM
whitham_wannabe
Ian Roper
Not yet

Depends on the specs, but up to the mid 20s ... It took me a while to get over the price of these things (back home in the UK they are a little bit cheaper!), but I don't think that is an unreasonable budget.

There were a couple around that I really liked when I first started looking that I am now kicking myself for not moving on. Buying a vehicle sight unseen is my biggest issue, especially for something well known for rust issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 29th, 2011, 01:05 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Call a friend in the UK and find a 1983-85 that suits your needs and have Doug import it for you.
Old March 29th, 2011, 01:09 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
I say get the Rubicon. Unlimited if you can.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 29th, 2011, 01:17 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
May not be exactly what you're looking for, but how about something like this? Just did a quick search and found it. My brother and a few others on the board live right around where this is located.

http://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/2285389915.html

1981 Land Rover Series 3 Stage 1 Defender 3.5 Ltr V8 - $14500 (Western, NC)

Reply to: sale-pwrfw-2285389915@craigslist.org

3.5 Ltr V8
5" OME shocks with OME Shock Tower on front
ARB bumper with 9,000 lb Warn Winch
Warn off road lights
BFG Mud Terrian Tires 255/85/16 with 95% Tread
Swing away Tire Carrier
Checker Plate Hood & Wings
Rock/Tree Sliders
CB RAdio Headers with Dual Exhaust
4 Barrel Weber Carb
Dual Optima Gel Batteries
Recovered Seats
RH Steering
Runs Great - Used as a daily driver from time to time
Please leave your number when inquiring
Attached Images

Old March 29th, 2011, 01:18 PM
whitham_wannabe
Ian Roper
Not yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrc.swb View Post
I say get the Rubicon. Unlimited if you can.
WHAT??! Isn't that sacrilege on this site?!

I went the Rubicon route with my last off road rig, but it all got a bit silly - not so good for long road trips!

http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/w...nnabe/Heap.jpg

------ Follow up post added March 29th, 2011 10:24 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Call a friend in the UK and find a 1983-85 that suits your needs and have Doug import it for you.
Got my dad looking around over there right now, but he is not remotely competent when it comes to selecting a suitable vehicle. Seems prices have gone up a little for that age range - could it be that people are aware of the drain of suitable Defenders over here?

Who's Doug?
Old March 29th, 2011, 02:23 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

the NC Rover is not a Defender, it's a Series 3. leaf springs unless he has changed the frame etc and added coils. still not a Defender though.
Old March 29th, 2011, 04:15 PM
whitham_wannabe
Ian Roper
Not yet

Should I extend my search to the normally aspirated Diesels? I have only ever driven TDis (and that a LONG time ago), are the NA diesels painfully slow or underrated?
Old March 29th, 2011, 04:39 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Should I extend my search to the normally aspirated Diesels? I have only ever driven TDis (and that a LONG time ago), are the NA diesels painfully slow or underrated?
Extremely painfully slow. There isn't much noticeable difference to me in a 2.25 petrol and 2.5 petrol and a 2.5 diesel(except top speed on the 2.25 really is around 65). If you don't care about MPG v8 is prob the best way to go and I think they're better to drive. The 110 that I put out a feeler for I just got back from the shop having a new power steering box fitted and replaced a leaking radiator so I used it to drive to work today. It is a bit more pleasing to drive than my 200tdi 90 I just took on a road trip to the Lakes and Highlands. Would have loved to take the 110 but the fuel is too expensive. If you're concerned about the MPG tdi is the only way to go. I get about the same distance per tank in both those trucks... the 110 has a huge tank. Prob why it's only done 59k miles. I can only afford to drive it over here because of tax free gas. About $1 per liter versus 1.30 per liter.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old March 29th, 2011, 04:56 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
A 200tdi is a drop in replacement for a 2.5N/A.

Personally, I would look for a 3.5 V8 CSW and then swap in an EFI motor out of a Range Rover classic.
Old March 29th, 2011, 05:26 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Then again, everything before about '89 or '90 isn't really a 'Defender' either.

-Jeff
Before 1990. But they are not Series 3's like that one. I knew someone would just have to point out that the coil sprung 90 and 110 were not called Defender until 1990.
Old March 29th, 2011, 05:32 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by discotdi View Post
the NC Rover is not a Defender, it's a Series 3.
I assumed he knew that (plus the title says that). It has the engine he was looking for, and maybe the looks, since the Breakfast has been taken up with Defender-esque hood and grill. Looks pretty cool with the top off, too. Seller is asking a Defender price, but it looks cool.
Old March 29th, 2011, 07:26 PM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
don't give up hope I looked for 6 months before finding mine - and now on the hunt for a 110 so mine might be for sale soon - having a hard time convincing myself to consider selling it
Old March 29th, 2011, 07:41 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
WHAT??! Isn't that sacrilege on this site?!

I went the Rubicon route with my last off road rig, but it all got a bit silly - not so good for long road trips!

http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/w...nnabe/Heap.jpg

------ Follow up post added March 29th, 2011 10:24 AM ------

Got my dad looking around over there right now, but he is not remotely competent when it comes to selecting a suitable vehicle. Seems prices have gone up a little for that age range - could it be that people are aware of the drain of suitable Defenders over here?

Who's Doug?

People source old defenders for 2 reasons ... One to import 'cheap' defenders that aren't at all cheap .. And thebsecond to use the identity to make a newish truck have pre 85 paperwork so it can be imported. Things always seem scarce when you are looking for them. d90's are available in every price range ... I bought one of the cheapest and have spent a few grand fixing it up ... I'm not scared of a fixing stuff myself and also don't fear UK mail order like some people on here! Now that vat is 20% there are some pretty good savings to be had on parts.

Where in the UK are you looking? I have a few contacts back home!

Where in the uk are you from?
Old March 30th, 2011, 12:09 PM
whitham_wannabe
Ian Roper
Not yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Where in the UK are you looking? I have a few contacts back home!

Where in the uk are you from?
I'm from Herefordshire originally, and my parents literally live next door to the Hereford Land Rover dealership. I've been rooting around on Autotrader.co.uk and general searches, but have found pretty slim pickings so far. If anyone knows of suitable vehicles knocking around I'm all ears ...

I think patience is the key, but that is not something I am very good at!

------ Follow up post added March 30th, 2011 09:12 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
I assumed he knew that (plus the title says that). It has the engine he was looking for, and maybe the looks, since the Breakfast has been taken up with Defender-esque hood and grill. Looks pretty cool with the top off, too. Seller is asking a Defender price, but it looks cool.
That does look like a nice truck, but a long way away.

The flat front grill was standard on Stage1 V8s, wasn't it?
Old March 30th, 2011, 12:24 PM
kjva
Ken Jackson
1985 110 Wagon

There is a 1985 V8 County Station Wagon on ebay UK right now for 5000 UK pounds, just remember it is 25 years old.
Old March 30th, 2011, 12:44 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
That does look like a nice truck, but a long way away.

The flat front grill was standard on Stage1 V8s, wasn't it?
It's closer than the UK.

After looking around, I guess you're right about the Stage 1 V8s grill... never really knew much about them.
Old March 30th, 2011, 12:58 PM
matansas
jon lyons
97 AA Convertible

Defender versus Jeep

Well I own both and would suggest you drive a Defender and see how you feel. For me you can't duplicate the feeling in a Jeep.
Its crazy but were all different and get turned on by different things. Some guys like fat chicks , Go figure. But for me its my Defender when i need to smile and feel like somebody.
Good lick with your decision
Old March 30th, 2011, 02:32 PM
16kpsi
Tony Lawson
1986 D110 ex-200tdi to be 6BT

Ian -

co-worker just got the 4 door Jeep wrangler with all the tricks. And while it's...nice (Jeep has gone back to a "nuts and bolts you can take all the parts off" approach) the truck is NOTHING like a Defender. He is also rebuilding a d90 as well.

The one thing I don't like about the Jeep is the high belt line. It's claustrophobic inside. There are half doors availible which are supposed to bring that line down, but it still doesn't have the open, high visibility of a Defender. Nor does it have that solid, land rover ride. The inside just feels....tight. I think they are trying to much to be like a hummer. ugh. Go drive one - test drives are free.

Don't even consider a NA motor. My 200tdi wasn't up to the tasks of the western highways and mountains. 300tdi's are a little better, but still become lacking on the big grades (Steve - D90user has a 300tdi out here he has a lot of experience with). Maybe a TD5 would work out better, but an expensive swap (and hard motor to get out here). As Ron suggested, swaping in an EFI V8 would be relatively easy (and the motors are everywhere coming out of Disco's) and would give the extra power. Down side is milage. That being said, I loved the way the 200tdi drove around town.

I've gone extreme the other way and am swapping in a 6 cylinder cummins diesel....

but the reason so many of us have gone through all the trouble of bringing these vehicle in to the country is because there really is nothing else like them.

FWIW I got my "84" D110 in the UK through Julian (Global Land Rovers) for about $22k and had Doug do the import. All said and done it was about $28-30K delivered to Seattle (easier to bring to Washington than California). Not a new vehicle by any shake, but a good base to work on and has been a very reliable runner.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat