Save me from a fate worse than Def - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 30th, 2011, 02:58 PM
whitham_wannabe
Ian Roper
Not yet

Thanks for all the replies on here, a lot of useful information to digest.

A little more background on where my Jeep and Land Rover allegiancies lie ...

I started out my career at Solihull, working initially on the CB40 (Freelander), then onto LCV2 and eventually Mini. My job was as a Crash Simulation FEA analyst, but we also performed a lot of crash tests on all the Land Rover vehicles. I've wrecked a few Discos, Range Rovers and Defenders in my time ... One of the side benefits was the 'weekend mileage' vehicles that we could get. Everyone wanted the Range Rovers and Discoveries, but I wanted the Defenders. For about a year i didn't even own a car, just used to tool around in production, military and SVO Defenders at the weekends.

Eventually I moved to Jeep in Detroit,as a body design engineer, working on (I'm sorry to say) the Commander, and then the new Grand Cherokee and Durango. Whilst there I got the do a Jamboree in the as yet to be released Rubicon Wrangler. Coming from Solihull, I had always looked at the Wranglers as a bit of toy, not the real deal, but that weekend impressed me enough that I bought one. Over the next few years that car got modified a little .. 42" Iroks, Dana60s front and rear, 7" wheelbase stretch, full cage and so on, eventually becoming an out and out rock crawler.

But even though I have a lot of respect for the Wrangler line, my heart still yearns for a Defender. A drove a couple that were for sale up here a few weeks ago, and it reaffirmed in my mind that there is just something about them that can't be quantified.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 30th, 2011, 03:17 PM
ssbartley1
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160

Registry
Ian -wow, impressive resume!

Ive owned several Jeeps, my last one being a Rubicon unlimited, fun truck- very capable...but, it wasnt a Defender.
I looked at G wagens also, and again...great truck- very capable...but not what I wanted.

My dad always had Series Rovers around the house...he also has owned a few Jeeps...and still has one as a daily drive. I like the capability of the Jeep...but at the end of the day, I was only happy with a Defender.

If Jeep introduces a diesel into the US market for the Rubicon, I would buy another, but Id still keep my Defender.
"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old March 31st, 2011, 12:08 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitham_wannabe View Post
Thanks for all the replies on here, a lot of useful information to digest.

A little more background on where my Jeep and Land Rover allegiancies lie ...

I started out my career at Solihull, working initially on the CB40 (Freelander), then onto LCV2 and eventually Mini. My job was as a Crash Simulation FEA analyst, but we also performed a lot of crash tests on all the Land Rover vehicles. I've wrecked a few Discos, Range Rovers and Defenders in my time ... One of the side benefits was the 'weekend mileage' vehicles that we could get. Everyone wanted the Range Rovers and Discoveries, but I wanted the Defenders. For about a year i didn't even own a car, just used to tool around in production, military and SVO Defenders at the weekends.

Eventually I moved to Jeep in Detroit,as a body design engineer, working on (I'm sorry to say) the Commander, and then the new Grand Cherokee and Durango. Whilst there I got the do a Jamboree in the as yet to be released Rubicon Wrangler. Coming from Solihull, I had always looked at the Wranglers as a bit of toy, not the real deal, but that weekend impressed me enough that I bought one. Over the next few years that car got modified a little .. 42" Iroks, Dana60s front and rear, 7" wheelbase stretch, full cage and so on, eventually becoming an out and out rock crawler.

But even though I have a lot of respect for the Wrangler line, my heart still yearns for a Defender. A drove a couple that were for sale up here a few weeks ago, and it reaffirmed in my mind that there is just something about them that can't be quantified.
So, Ian, given your extensive automotive background how did you end up in car-loathing Seattle? :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 1st, 2011, 01:39 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Tony is right, the tdi's can be a bit anemic for west coast speeds. I can cruise at 70 but as soon as I hit a hill is is slower... sometimes 40 in the sierras, or worse if I done keep on top of the turbo. I have tweaked the fuel a little but really nothing. I get great mileage though and it is not my daily driver.

That said, I would not feel very comfortable going much faster in one of these trucks. I'm a slow driver in general so take it FWIW.
Only place I have felt like my speed was a big issue is in LA. They drive fast down there and it is almost dangerous to go slow.

I have a 110 with a camper setup so I'm heavy. I run a 1.4 tcase and coudl not imagine having a 1.2 with my load. A 90 with a 200 or 300tdi and a 1.2 tcase would pull well. I know a guy in Seattle with a NAS 90 with a 200tdi and it drives well.
Old April 1st, 2011, 11:25 AM
whitham_wannabe
Ian Roper
Not yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYM View Post
So, Ian, given your extensive automotive background how did you end up in car-loathing Seattle? :-)
I came for work in the aero industry, and love the area, so I am staying for the forseeable future. Prior to this, I spent ten years in Detroit and, no offence to any Michiganders, there is no comparison between the two. Cars may be the enemy here, but at least there are great roads to drive and ride on and beautiful places to explore.

So I am now in the position that everyone is ignoring my emails - the Stage 1 listed earlier, another blue 110 for sale in NM. I think it's a conspiracy ....
Old April 5th, 2011, 09:16 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16kpsi View Post
Ian -

co-worker just got the 4 door Jeep wrangler with all the tricks. And while it's...nice (Jeep has gone back to a "nuts and bolts you can take all the parts off" approach) the truck is NOTHING like a Defender. He is also rebuilding a d90 as well.

The one thing I don't like about the Jeep is the high belt line. It's claustrophobic inside. There are half doors availible which are supposed to bring that line down, but it still doesn't have the open, high visibility of a Defender. Nor does it have that solid, land rover ride. The inside just feels....tight. I think they are trying to much to be like a hummer. ugh. Go drive one - test drives are free.
A little late but I totally agree after spending a couple of days driving my brother-in-law's Wrangler. The Wrangler is nice but right off that bat I too noticed the lake of solid LR ride and the lack of the LR visibility. Missing too was the V8 sound. One really weird thing about his manual gearbox Wrangler was going over any bumps the shifter would shake back and forth from side to side. I wondered what would happen on the trail. And while the shifting was smoother (espeically from 1st-2nd gear) it just felt too light too me.

I just noticed one of the Defenders in town might have been replaced with a Wrangler. The Wrangler looks nice with the sand/tan color but I'm bummed that I probably won't see the black ECR 4.6 build (and especially hear it). Wonder if Josh/Horesy knows if it sold recently (I am pretty sure this was it: http://ecrrox.com/202.html).

No offense but my feeling is the 4 door Wranglers are for guys that want a rugged/outdoor look but without the discomfort/hassle/inconvenience of something like a Defender, Scout, Bronco, FJ, classic Jeep, etc. It's like a Honda Accord - just turn the key and go. But like a Honda, for some of us, it's lacking a bunch of character.
Old April 5th, 2011, 10:06 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
It's the one that's been at Copley I'd assume? I thought Keith was playing an April Fools joke last week as it has the same skid plates, GK, 5-bar color, etc.

http://copleymotorcars.com/land_rover5_35.3vo938.html
Old April 5th, 2011, 10:51 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
It's the one that's been at Copley I'd assume? I thought Keith was playing an April Fools joke last week as it has the same skid plates, GK, 5-bar color, etc.

http://copleymotorcars.com/land_rover5_35.3vo938.html
Horsey

You are funny.
Old April 6th, 2011, 07:49 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho
I thought Keith was playing an April Fools joke last week as it has the same skid plates, GK, 5-bar color, etc.
Oh, and the 4.2, black Badger front seat covers, bikini, winch, multiple Badger tops, rear lamp guards, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf

Horsey

You are funny.
You act like you can tell the difference between the two.
Old April 6th, 2011, 07:52 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
vs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3078499336.png
Views:	80
Size:	439.4 KB
ID:	37642   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-445260583.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	37643  

Old April 6th, 2011, 08:45 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Damn Josh - your title serves you well! That must be it. So it confirms that this local ECR 90 will be no more. Bummer. It was a nice rig to see frequently.
Old April 6th, 2011, 10:57 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
vs.
In this one instance, in this lighting, I will say your truck photographed better. You would think for 50k, Stu would get his boy Keith out there to wax on, wax off to at least try to make the paint look decent. I realize that even before the truck went to ECR for what looks like a great project, it had doors off a 94, but it is a bit ghetto at that price. Next you will tell me it was rhinolined in Hoboken.

With that said I would still take it over the Horsey badger mobile.
Old April 6th, 2011, 11:02 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
With that said I would still take it over the Horsey badger mobile.
That's a lie and you know it.

My Gutter Kit doesn't look like that anymore, either...so not exact twins. I took it all apart to re-coat it in black and also reinstall it, because the vertical on the driver's side was too close to the door, causing it not to shut right at times.

So those are '94 doors? I just figured they were new rivets not painted or something.
Old April 6th, 2011, 11:11 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

What did you use to recoat the gutterkit? Paint doesn't like to stick to the galv.

Based on the snaps and the fact the doors don't match I would say they are off a 94.

Maybe there is an upcharge on the truck because the doors came off the very limited run of black 94s.
Old April 6th, 2011, 11:17 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Yeah, I know, but the GK comes off in about 15 minutes per side so I can live with doing it once a year. Rustoleum primer then black enamel. The vertical section was the only portion peeling, so that's more like a 2 minute uninstall.
Old April 6th, 2011, 11:37 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

I would expand the search outside the UK. There are a lot of ROW trucks with factory LHD.

buy this and have it rebuilt to your specs. The TD5 runs real nice, you can cruise all day at whatever speed you want (within reason)....

http://cgi.ebay.de/Land-Rover-Defend...item4cf64e6391
Old April 6th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I, unfortunately, am stuck with the same decision making process...and decided that the Jeep is going to be my future choice. Not because I prefer the Jeep, but because I really need the 4 doors and extra seating. I'd prefer a 110 of course, but I need a reliable daily driver, and having to wait a week or more sometimes for parts kinda goes against that. As does the prices of the NAS 110's.

I'm sure going to miss my D90, no doubt about it, and it pains me to have to work on it only to get it ready to sell. But I'll be back! When it comes time for a project for myself, I'm seriously considering a series 3 lightweight.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old April 6th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
True but a german or durtch truck would be Euro spec or maybe even a specific spec for that country. ROW is a designation for areas that do not include the UK or Western Europe.

Not to mention that the linked vehicle is a RHD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
I would expand the search outside the UK. There are a lot of ROW trucks with factory LHD.

buy this and have it rebuilt to your specs. The TD5 runs real nice, you can cruise all day at whatever speed you want (within reason)....

http://cgi.ebay.de/Land-Rover-Defend...item4cf64e6391
Old April 6th, 2011, 12:21 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

You are correct about the RHD. but that is a good start for a "restoration"...
Old April 6th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I don't read German but it looked like a runner to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
You are correct about the RHD. but that is a good start for a "restoration"...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat