Satellite Radios and Recievers? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 27th, 2006, 10:15 PM
boshea
Brian OShea
1995 Defender 90 ST

Satellite Radios and Recievers?

Do any of you guys have a preference regarding Sirius, XM, and the various sat radio recievers that are on the market. I noticed that Crutchfield has a great selection of plug and play models, but I would love to get your take on it before I subscribe....

Thanks,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2006, 10:17 PM
javelinadave
-
-

They both are the cats ass. You have to figure out which has better programming for you. I have XM and love it.
Old January 27th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Sirius offers a few things in programming that I would prefer, but at the time I bought mine the XM had much more compact and flexible recievers. The XM programming is also quite good, there are just 1 or 2 things I would have wanted that only Sirius offers.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2006, 10:52 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I have Sirius, love it, I'm actually on my second reciever. My boss and another guy at work have XM, they love it too. I like Sirius because I love football and hockey, and only Sirius has them. The other guy at work loves baseball, he got XM. Sirius also has Stern, but truthfully, I listen to Maxim Radio most. I recommend the S50 if you're looking at recievers, it really is worth the money. I had the sportster replay before, and liked it too, but I can take the S50 in the gym, or on a plane, etc. and I couldn't bring myself to buy an ipod.
Old January 28th, 2006, 12:05 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I and some of my friends are XM fans mostly because of O&A now. When I first got XM, Sirius was virtually non-existent. But both offer a good variety of music to suite your taste. The big thing i guess now is which shock jock you are into and which sports coverage. Other than that, both have the same amount roughly of music diversity. My brother got Sirius just for Stern. Looking through his guide of music, its about the same selection as XM.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old January 28th, 2006, 02:34 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Brian,

I have the XM Roady 2. I got it at Best Buy for $28 and pay $10 a month. I move it between vehicles all the time. I bought a unit on ebay for real cheap just for the antenna and power cord to use in my other cars and leave the original antenna and power cord in my Defender. I helped a buddy install a Serius unit at work the other day. The reception sucked compared to my XM no matter where we placed the antenna. My car was sitting next to his and I had great reception. I am sure it was just a fluke but I am very happy with XM reception.
Old January 28th, 2006, 08:52 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Get both... I have Sirius in the Defender, I have the portable Audiovox unit. I can transfer it between cars, but I never have. I keep meaning to get additional craddles, but have yet to do it.

My Yukon XL has XM built in, and I listen to that when ever I am in it. I really like both, and I do not notice much difference between the two.

My preference would be to have it built into the receiver, instead of the portable unit. I am always worried about forgetting to "hide" it and someone grabbing it.

Since you are not supposed to listen to CD's in the 90 while on a trial, and the radio doesn't always work in all areas, satalite is an excellent option.

Old January 28th, 2006, 11:03 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Sirius has NFL and Howard. Maxim Radio is cool too. I have literaly not turned on my CD player since I got the Serius Reciever. About a year now.

I have 3 docking stations one in my work truck, one in the Disco, and one in the Defender. I only loose reseption in the tunnels on I-70. It makes a lone trip or commute sooooo much nicer.

Good luck

Mike
Old January 29th, 2006, 06:44 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have Sirius.. it kicks ass. I cant even listen to regular radio anymre. Stern and NFL too. Other guys at work have XM and like it too. You will be pleased with whatever you pick. I ahve the Sirius Starmate. ITs small and a great little unit.
Old January 31st, 2006, 06:18 PM
devinchi
Tim Brown
'95 D90 ST '99D2

as said before,

Which shock jocks.... O&A(XM) or Stern(Sirius)??
Sports..... Baseball(XM or Football (Sirius) (Both have Hockey, and XM has hockey contract alone in a few years)

other than that, they are quite similar. I have XM in my work truck, D-90, Wife's truck, Brother's car, sister in laws truck, and mom's truck.
Old February 1st, 2006, 12:48 AM
chrisconnie
Adam Hairston
97 LE #127/300

I have portable Sirius unit and love it. As others have said buy the programming you prefer.

As far as reception I read somewhere that the XM satellites are in geosynchrous orbit and the Sirius satellites are not. Think I got this off of Slashdot while researching the services. Therefore Sirius reception can come and go as the satellites move across the horizon.

I have a separate antennae for the house and I have noticed this when I hook up to the home stereo. After a few hours reception will get spotty and I have to reposition the antennae. If I put it up on the roof I am sure this would not be a problem (I have it on a window ledge). Reception from the truck is fine and I just have the antennae sitting on the dash.

Great addition!
Old February 1st, 2006, 12:47 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Uhh, Danny Bonaduce is on Sirius all this week (and there's talk of him signing a deal), now that's comedy.
Old July 15th, 2006, 11:12 AM
januconn92
Jan Jurgielewicz
97 D90 #1477 Green ST

Sirius flat out rocks

Both offer great content but in comparing reception, I have better luck with Sirius, especially in the Northeast, get a s50, crank Left of Center and cruise in the D90 with no top, awesome...Stern is cool too..
Old July 15th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

I have XM to go portable and all I have to do is place it in one of the cup holders and no wires no nothin else...no antenna either...just the Xm2go portable unit...if the trip will be longer than 4 hours I take the 12 volt plug and that's it. transfers to any of my vehicles and sounds great...got it for the 24 hour reggae programming...
George
Old July 16th, 2006, 09:47 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I have a Garmin 376c with XM radio and weather radar. It's a cool setup and worth the $. I dig it more for the weather than the radio. But all around, it's a good package.
Old July 16th, 2006, 10:06 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
which plays the most grateful dead and widespread panic and wu tang

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
radio