Santa Fe, Nm area Expedition - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 13th, 2012, 01:02 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Santa Fe, Nm area Expedition

So I'm thinking about taking the family on a little week long expedition to Nm, Santa Fe area and doing a little camping and such...anyone have some must see's we should check out? We will be taking the D90 and the Adventure trailer so we will be set up for most anything, also thinking about maybe bringing a couple of kyaks if there is suitable water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 13th, 2012, 08:56 AM
texrover
Jason
71 SIIA, 03 RR, 94 D90 (PO), 83 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
So I'm thinking about taking the family on a little week long expedition to Nm, Santa Fe area and doing a little camping and such...anyone have some must see's we should check out? We will be taking the D90 and the Adventure trailer so we will be set up for most anything, also thinking about maybe bringing a couple of kyaks if there is suitable water.
When ya goin Bill?
1994 D90 ST (PO)
Old July 13th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Sergeant_V
Abel Villesca
1995 D-90 ST

Lots of kayaking on the Rio Chama about 1.5 hours north of Santa Fe. Good camping up there in the Chama River Canyon, too. I've seen a lot of rafting on the Rio Grande about the same distance north of Santa Fe, but don't recall if anyone kayaks that section of the river.

Fire restrictions in the Santa Fe NF and the Carson NF have just been lifted, so you should have no problem finding some nice camp sites.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 13th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by texrover View Post
When ya goin Bill?
Last week of the month. No real time limits...I want to get the kids out for a week or so before school starts and work picks up. Planning on going to Moab in October so this will be the last trip out till then.
Old July 13th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeant_V View Post
Lots of kayaking on the Rio Chama about 1.5 hours north of Santa Fe. Good camping up there in the Chama River Canyon, too. I've seen a lot of rafting on the Rio Grande about the same distance north of Santa Fe, but don't recall if anyone kayaks that section of the river.

Fire restrictions in the Santa Fe NF and the Carson NF have just been lifted, so you should have no problem finding some nice camp sites.
that area looks great...thats where we are going to go then. thanks!
Old July 13th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Sergeant_V
Abel Villesca
1995 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
that area looks great...thats where we are going to go then. thanks!
I've never had a problem finding a spot for my Chaser in the Chama River Canyon. It can still be warm in there during the afternoon (high 80s). It's much cooler up in Red River, but that is a bit of a longer drive from Santa Fe.
Old July 13th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeant_V View Post
I've never had a problem finding a spot for my Chaser in the Chama River Canyon. It can still be warm in there during the afternoon (high 80s). It's much cooler up in Red River, but that is a bit of a longer drive from Santa Fe.
I'll check that out too. 80"s is nothing....I've been camping in Big Bend when it was 110 at 2 in the morning...of course my desire is NOT to relive that! I have been looking at the weather...looks pretty good right now.
Old July 13th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Sergeant_V
Abel Villesca
1995 D-90 ST

The canyon and camp sites are accessible via Forest Road 151 off of US 84. There are plenty of dispersed camping areas where you can set up right on the river. My favorite used to be near 36.340157,-106.641541. The big old cottonwood that I used to park my Chaser under right on the river bank was either blown down or blasted by lighning. In any case, it would still be comfortable with an awning or other portable shade system.

You can put into the river up near the Rio Chama Campground (improved site with pads, tables and vault toilets or much further north for a longer river ride. I think the official river access site for launching rafts and kayaks by the river guide companies is at Cooper's El Vado Ranch (http://www.elvado.com/) near Tierra Amarilla. That would make for a long cruise down the river.
Old July 13th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

thats really cool, I pulled up a map based on the info and that looks really good! Thanks a ton
Old July 13th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
I always liked the Jemez, specifically the greater area around Fenton lake. We would go up there in high school a lot. Haven't been there in years but would like to go back. I'm not sure what it offers for your type of trip but might be worth checking out. Not too far from Santa Fe.
Old July 13th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Looks like we'll be heading out on the 25th for a week to ten days...gunna use that expensive Zodiac shower set up and see if I got my monies worth...lol. I'll have to reseach that Jemez area. I need to do some fishing.if anyone is going to be around that area...look us up, I'll have beer!
Old July 13th, 2012, 02:30 PM
Sergeant_V
Abel Villesca
1995 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpayne View Post
I always liked the Jemez, specifically the greater area around Fenton lake. We would go up there in high school a lot. Haven't been there in years but would like to go back. I'm not sure what it offers for your type of trip but might be worth checking out. Not too far from Santa Fe.
Santa Fe NF just shut down a ton of forest roads in the Jemez with their new travel management plan (70%+). Fenton lake is still a pretty good fishing destination. With much of the "car camping" areas closed by the new plan, lots of folks will probably congregate there. There are still plenty of great places to explore in the Jemez. I like camping off of State Road 144 (somewhat close to Fenton Lake accessed from State Road 126). You can also take 144 through the forest up to Espanola enroute to Abiquiu.

The new travel management plan has closed off an awesome camp site in Twin Cabins Canyon that I have used for decades. It's on a rough steep road and hardly anyone ever ventured in there. It's a real shame that much of the forest road system is no longer accessible.
Old July 13th, 2012, 02:46 PM
atpick
Andy
1990 110

Registry
Head north on State road 63 from Pecos, NM (just east of Santa Fe on I-25. Follow the road north for a bit until Forest Service Road 223. Take that all the way to Iron Gate Campground. Awesome hiking, camping, fishing, and off roading. You will definately need the truck to get up the road with as its pretty washed out in places and has some pretty steep inclines. Campground is over 9000 feet. I have seen people get horse trailers up there as well.
Old July 13th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Sergeant_V
Abel Villesca
1995 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpick View Post
Head north on State road 63 from Pecos, NM (just east of Santa Fe on I-25. Follow the road north for a bit until Forest Service Road 223. Take that all the way to Iron Gate Campground. Awesome hiking, camping, fishing, and off roading. You will definately need the truck to get up the road with as its pretty washed out in places and has some pretty steep inclines. Campground is over 9000 feet. I have seen people get horse trailers up there as well.
How busy is the campground? I haven't done any exploring in the Pecos and have been meaning to do that this year, but I prefer somewhat secluded areas.
Old July 13th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpick View Post
that does look nice, I need some water this trip...but the mountians are nice over there.
Old July 13th, 2012, 02:57 PM
atpick
Andy
1990 110

Registry
Very secluded from the times I've been there. There are a lot of places to stop before there (which most people do). You have to really want to go there to get to the campground. Most people just park there for the hiking. The last time I went there were only 2 sites taken besides ours.
Old July 13th, 2012, 10:31 PM
hunterjah
Jesse Hardin
Past: '97 D90 LE #135

It's a haul, but Valle Vidal north of Taos is an incredible fishing location. I've found nothing else close in that area, beautiful meadows and really tight streams. Perfect for the 2 weight.

Previous Rovers:
1997 LR D90 LE - #135
1997 LR D90 ST - #1185 (BRG)
2000 LR Discovery SII (Oxford Blue)
2008 LR LR3 HSE (Alaska White)
2012 LR LR4 Lux (Fuji White)
Old July 14th, 2012, 12:00 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

well I'm all about the fly fishing! but not going that far...I already am brain washing my self for the 12 hour drive after just doing the drive from NC to TX two weeks ago! I will just pack the rods and hope for the best.
Old July 14th, 2012, 11:14 AM
texrover
Jason
71 SIIA, 03 RR, 94 D90 (PO), 83 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson

Last week of the month. No real time limits...I want to get the kids out for a week or so before school starts and work picks up. Planning on going to Moab in October so this will be the last trip out till then.
I might follow your trail and might pass you on the way!

I can't get PTO till after the 26th and planning (hoping?) to have the 110 and RTT sorted out and head that direction

Maybe I will copy your itinerary!
1994 D90 ST (PO)
Old July 14th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

That's cool, I'll keep an eye open for you and a beer on ice...We'll be at 36.340157,-106.641541 or there about. This is what you'll be looking for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	l.coxusi.com 262.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	54212  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
expedition