San Diego people - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 2nd, 2004, 09:21 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

San Diego people

Hey gang, who here is in the San Diego, Ca. area? The company I work for approached me this afternoon about a possible opportunity there. Pretty major move for me if it were to happen. So looking to see who is out there, and get some info about the area like cost of living, rent on apts in fairly nice areas, travel in the area, etc.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 2nd, 2004, 09:43 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Wow, good news When is the move if you decide to go? Now you'll be closer to Moab and we can meet there.

Now if we only can get the D90 slut to move to the WC
Old December 2nd, 2004, 09:47 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

From the sounds of it, if it were to happen, pretty quick. But it all hinges I guess primarily on if the contractor in the spot straightens his shit up and takes the perm position or passes on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 2nd, 2004, 09:50 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Well, if you are there at the end of this month we can take Dave's Defordmend90 for a spin

Ok Dave, show me what you got
Old December 2nd, 2004, 10:01 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

You can't move! If you do who's going to show us around Paragon!
Old December 2nd, 2004, 10:04 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

That was really good! I thought at first it said Defordmented90. Public education. I am here in San Diego! I can get you all the info you need. Technically I live in Temecula now, about 40 miles North of San Diego. I think its the best city in the world, LA is, of course, the very worst.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old December 3rd, 2004, 01:52 AM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

chris,
I had the same question on the site 14 - 18 months ago. I moved from Basking Ridge NJ to Thousand Oaks, CA. (was raised on the main line). T.O. is 4 hours north of San Diego, BUT, I did get a bunch of feed back from a few people. Do a search around my name and something may pop up.

About CA, what I can say after 11 months, 2 weeks living here.
1. I do not want to leave.
2. People are great.
3. It is fucking expensive
Gas $2.50 gallon, taxes and bonds out the wazzzoo
Housing is crazy expensive - double NJ and that was expensive. Think Bryn Mawr on $$ roids
(good god I lived there for 15 yrs and did I just spell it wrong?)
4. Saw Pam Anderson at Starbucks (eye catching but pass)
5. The sierra mountain range
6. The sierra mountain range
7. Yosemite (not the valley, the other side - north or north east)
8. Fun to continusely mess up east west 'cause you are on this coast
9. It is December 2nd and I am gripping at 55 F temp overnight (OK, may hit 40) but the daytime
sun temp is 68 which is low. 70s is the norm (so, so, cool)

If you want anything else, send me a pm

Paul
Old December 3rd, 2004, 08:35 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Aw crap. We can't lose Chris to the left coast!

Although I would be tempted to move there too...

Old December 3rd, 2004, 10:07 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Much closer to Moab

Need I say more?
Old December 3rd, 2004, 10:24 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas
Much closer to Moab

Need I say more?

Exactly!

Old December 3rd, 2004, 10:29 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'm moving to Santa Clara for 2 years starting in summer 05. Certainly gives me an impetus to ensure the truck is put back together. Best part, being military, I dont have to pay the taxes, register my cars, and my housing allowance is based on zip code.

If anyone wants to join up, let me know. There is always an opportunity to use the D90 in ernest at you local field training site
Old December 3rd, 2004, 11:37 AM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

I grew up in Wisconsin where it is colder than SH#T, graduated high school and joined the Marines where they shipped me to Camp Pendleton, which is just north of San Diego for those who don't know. I then lived in Narberth, PA while I went to school in Philadelphia for 4 years, and am happy to report now live in So Cal.

So I have been around the various parts of the country and I second everything Paul just said and I have no palns of ever moving. The biggest downside is the liberals - which is why I live in Orange County.

Be reay to spend on housing though - extremely pricey.

It's Dec 3rd and I still have my Surrey Top on!
Old December 3rd, 2004, 11:57 AM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

Chris - I lived in San Diego for 5 yrs, then Orange Co. for 5 yrs. Feel free to e-mail me with questions.
Old December 3rd, 2004, 12:45 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Thanks for all the feedback already gang. I will be snooping around the online apt guides to get some visuals of pricing and what one gets for that. Ken L sent me th link to the CRAIGLIST and was a bit shocked and prices. I dont imaging that I would be directly in the city as there are a few facilitys the company has in the SD area. I guess it would help if I knew which one this might be for.

Quote:
[/size]
Old December 3rd, 2004, 12:57 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Now Chris, wouldn't you miss the snow, ice frigid cold, Paragon, Rauch?? .... Hell, If my job wasn't restricting me, I would be out there in a heart beat.

Oh, and getting rides in the Defordmented90...lol Yousef started it.

RAndy
Old December 3rd, 2004, 03:26 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Chris, I lived in Ocean Beach (San Diego) for 7 years. Any questions, shoot me an email.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old December 3rd, 2004, 07:59 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Chris,
as you can see, we who are on the "left coast" are all happy. As with a few of the others, I have moved about a great deal. If it is offered, a looksee visit is good to get. I'm a bit anal so on my trip, I drove some 300 miles in a weekend looking at the lay of the land. Let me see areas I liked. Also, see if there is a local / regional paper on line with a home section. There is www.realtor.com (if that is not it post back and I will hunt down the correct site) which will help. Understand, housing is just expensive here - your package should take that into concideration. Finally, on the web are some comparative cost of living calculators. Been a while since I have used them but they can be eye opening.
Best of luck
Old December 3rd, 2004, 08:20 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I don't see why everyone is saying the housing is so expensive here. In San Diego city you can get a decent 3 bedroom 2 bath house for $700,000. It is even cheaper if you are in San Diego County, there a similar house is only $600,000. Damn I hate Grey Davis. Seriously though, it has the best 4wheeling and the least fat chicks.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old December 4th, 2004, 12:28 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
I don't see why everyone is saying the housing is so expensive here. In San Diego city you can get a decent 3 bedroom 2 bath house for $700,000. It is even cheaper if you are in San Diego County, there a similar house is only $600,000. Damn I hate Grey Davis. Seriously though, it has the best 4wheeling and the least fat chicks.
Holly Cow! 600K – 700K for a 3-bed house??? You can get the same house here in CO for no more than $350K. Hell, my 4800+ sq.ft house is only worth $650K right now and it's the best one in the neighbor hood. I agree on the fat chicks, but not wheelin though.
Old December 4th, 2004, 12:44 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
the least fat chicks.
LOL... That is a big plus.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags