Salvage title info - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 26th, 2015, 01:16 AM
Brian H
Brian Hach
none

Salvage title info

Can someone help expand my knowledge regarding salvage titles.

I am curious as to the overall effect on value for a salvage vs. "healthy" d90. I have had a look at a defender and there are many things I like about the vehicle except I am not to familiar as to what potential markdown I should factor in.

For what it is worth the vehicle has no obvious item that I can find that would have put it into the salvage bin but who knows since there are so many parts and replacement items available.

Appreciate any thoughts. I guess a pre-buy would be a smart option too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 26th, 2015, 07:22 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
There will always be questions when it comes up for sale as a salvage. If you can't explain it (which it seems you are unable to do now) it makes the whole situation sketchy to potential buyers. Dealers usually will not touch salvage trucks but some shops like rovertrader's specialize in salvage trucks. Salvage trucks can also make it more difficult for prospective buyers to finance as many banks will not touch total loss vehicles. Just some things to think about. Look up TravelerBT's for sale vehicle thread, or search "salvage" in the for sale vehicles section for a few examples of how sales went.
Old August 26th, 2015, 08:35 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

How states handle salvage titles varies.
Think there was a thread some years back on this subject. It's something you need to check in to

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 26th, 2015, 08:43 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Two comparable NASs under $40k yet one has a blemished title (salvaged, rebuilt title, etc)? My read on it is the blemished title truck are discounted by ~20%. This spread grows exponentially as the price goes up. There is a reason we don't see Keith considering blemished titles regardless of the price.
Old August 26th, 2015, 12:34 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Question is how many would be on a salvage title if their damages had been claimed? I'd not hesitate to buy a salvage vehicle if I felt I knew what the damage was and how it was rectified.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 26th, 2015, 04:07 PM
Brian H
Brian Hach
none

I want to thank everyone for their contributions and thoughts. I appreciate the insight for sure and will do some searching on DS too. Great advise for me when I am talking $$!

I did have some doubts on a particular vehicle and it is further compounded by the fact that the seller tells me they were unsure of any damage done originally (they are owner #2) and they actually bought the vehicle from a private person and only found out now after 7ish years. That plus the lack of an odometer that appears to be non-functioning makes me have some doubts.

The servicing seems somewhat documented over their owner period but there are issues that still stand out to me mechanically.

Thanks 1of40 as this gives me a starting point at least from a purchase side to negotiate as well. I know it wouldn't be hard and fast number but there should be some variation between a well documented rig and one such as this where the owner doesn't have or know much else.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat