Salvage Title - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 23rd, 2015, 12:06 PM
mmgcny
Michael
None

Salvage Title

Hi - I have come across a few NAS vehicles that have salvage titles. What are the issues with buying a vehicle with a salvage title? Is it just a problem with the resale value or are the other issues (insurance, etc).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 23rd, 2015, 12:13 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Resale & insurance may be a bit more tricky, but my concern would be that it was fixed right & is 'real'. I have heard of 'title washing' whereby a vehicle with a previous salvage designation becomes non-salvage, so it's always a concern.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 12:49 PM
mmgcny
Michael
None

Thanks - i came across this car 1997 Land Rover Defender 90 NAS North American Spec.. It fits my budget but I have concerns around the salvage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 23rd, 2015, 12:51 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
IF you have concerns then so will the next person when you go to sell it. There have been at least 3 discussions regarding salvage vehicles this week, and likely hundreds of threads on this forum discussing it if you end up searching around a bit.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 01:43 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
The same questions are being asked here....
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ion-60732.html
Old September 23rd, 2015, 02:59 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

if it is your forever truck then that shouldn't be a concern but if you turn stuff over then get the best you can afford... also make sure the rebuild work was done right.

the clear coat is peeling on the wings, so suggest the rebuild wasn't so great as original paint was a single stage.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 03:11 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
You'll recall that vehicle from this thread:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...-sw-57383.html

The seller was selling it due to terminal cancer, then some young guy bought it and a few months later it was priced $17k higher. Either the seller has since rethought his price, or the ad you're seeing is bait to draw you in as part of a scam. I know I've seen the listing in many states, so just beware if the first question is for your social security number.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 03:48 PM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani
95 D90 Soft Top Estoril Blue 6.2 LS

salvage title designations due wash as vehicles are titled between different states. The car fax will still have the information. Assume it needs either a bulkhead, tub or frame. In a lot of cases all 3. The difference between a hack repair and doing it right is massive. On a frame up restoration for a car you never intend to sell it's a reasonable way to go if the price is right and if it has some usable parts. If you aren't in it for the long haul don't do it. It's going to have underlying issues that were not repaired correctly and it's going to be a pain to sell unless you have pictures for each step of a frame off restoration. But you won't sell a truck after going through all that.

------ Follow up post added September 23rd, 2015 02:50 PM ------

I'd pay $5k for a VIN. $5k more if the frame can be dipped. $1k if the roll cage is in great shape. $4k if the tub is in great shape. $4k if the bulkhead is in great shape. Don't care about the motor as I'd go 6.2L GM. Don't care about the seats.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 03:51 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
You can buy #1 first class NAS120's in Somalia, available for immediate shipment now! Great deal-do not wait!

Eventually, all NAS trucks will be salvage, then we won't have to discuss this anymore. It's a certainty, just a matter of time.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old September 23rd, 2015, 04:18 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by defender1844 View Post
salvage title designations due wash as vehicles are titled between different states. The car fax will still have the information.
Not always the case. There are several examples here with a "clean" carfax and "clean" title only for the owner who paid the premium price to learn of title issues at a later date. One example is the "parts only" title NAS 110 from CO (too bad & wrong disposition by the Insurance and/or DMV as the 110 was only in a fresh water flood). The CO DMV overlooked updating the VIN data into the national database (forgot the name) that carfax and others cull info from. That NAS 110 was issued a clean GA title and up for sale here. Technically the VIN on that 110 was scratched from ever being titled again. Not even a salvaged title. Imagine dropping $90k (or whatever the asking was) then finding out later the clean GA title is null and void. Many argue this example could be 'corrected' by being titled yet again in Vermont. Guess that makes it a wash with bleach. Who knows, but stay clear of those folks.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 04:19 PM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani
95 D90 Soft Top Estoril Blue 6.2 LS

that is a nightmare. I apologize for being inaccurate.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 04:32 PM
mmgcny
Michael
None

Thanks all - Not sure if I am looking my "forever" vehicle. Even if I was I don't think I will be touching a salvage titled vehicle.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 05:43 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
My 110 is a salvage rebuild and my forever vehicle. All this talk means nothing to me, and my insurance company doesn't care either.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old September 23rd, 2015, 07:15 PM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle
1995 NAS D90 Coniston Green SW

Registry
posting from another thread

I'm hoping to own the last 1995 NAS Coniston Green Land Rover Defender 90 Station Wagon in the world with a non-salvage title..

Then, and only then, will I tell you what it's worth..

Hopefully it will be worth more than I paid...someday...

"I actually like to paint some of my smaller parts......"
Old September 26th, 2015, 08:43 AM
chuckc4
chuck b

Lets figure a few things on the 90 in the example -- all of my numbers are quick guesses and may or may not be accurate.

assuming you buy it for $26,000

It needs a frame +10,000

It needs all of the fixings and rear skid plate for the gas tank, at least (I have seen the underside of this, trust me). ?,???.00

It has 150K miles on it -- who knows what it needs mechanically, but lets assume a safe estimate of +$10,000 to get it up to snuff (it is a Land Rover).

It needs bodywork and a paint job +8,000

So, you are already well north of $50,000 for a truck with 150,000 miles on it and a salvage title. Does this make sense?
Old September 28th, 2015, 09:03 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

There are some of us who believe all NAS trucks are special and deserve to be restored so the money doesn't matter. If it turns out you can't register it then you can still use it on the farm. Use it for hay and give rides to kids.
Old September 28th, 2015, 10:21 PM
chuckc4
chuck b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
There are some of us who believe all NAS trucks are special and deserve to be restored so the money doesn't matter. If it turns out you can't register it then you can still use it on the farm. Use it for hay and give rides to kids.
Well I suppose you can look at it in a Mr. Rogers sort of way.... Yes, all NAS trucks are special. Perhaps in my haste to be sarcastic, I was not clear-- I think the ask is a bit high after factoring in what it needs.

If anyone has too much money lying around and wants to buy my 95 NAS ST for +/- $90K, I will do a hell of a job restoring it for you!
Old September 29th, 2015, 01:59 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Indeed! I do agree with you though Chuck. I think that one is priced high for what it needs, but it is in Michael's budget and if he did all his own work to keep costs down it could be a good truck for him. Or maybe he likes it the way it is. It's got war wounds. Chicks dig war wounds.
Old October 13th, 2015, 10:27 AM
mmgcny
Michael
None

Did some research on this over the weekend. In New York State if you are attempting to title or register a vehicle with a 'SALVAGE' branded title, or if the vehicle (VIN) is listed in the Insurance VIN DB you will be required to take the vehicle to a state run inspection center. The purpose of the inspection is to determine if the vehicle was VIN swapped or if stolen components were used in the rebuild of the vehicle.

I have heard stories where the inspectors ask for receipts for every major component of the vehicle to verify that they were not stolen. I have also read stories where the process is fairly painless. Regardless, the process still takes time - up to 12 weeks.

This inspection also applies to vehicles that are already registered or titled in NY when the NYS DMV is made aware of the 'SALVAGE' brand.

They will also not register or title any vehicle with the following brands:

- 'parts only'
- 'non-rebuildable'
- 'non-repairable'
- 'scrapped'
- 'destroyed'

EDIT: This inspection applies to the first time the vehicle is registered or titled (i.e. It only needs to be done once).

TLDR: New Yorkers, be careful with buying out of state 'Salvage' title vehicles.
Old October 13th, 2015, 10:54 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
This particular truck was already registered in NY WITH the salvage title. You're talking about re-certifying FOR THE FIRST TIME after the vehicle has been salvaged. If it was straight-up salvaged and re-certified and registered since after being salvaged then you shouldn't have an issue upon passing along to the next owner. Yes you should be diligent when buying out-of-state branded vehicles FROM ANY STATE no matter which state you reside in, as state-to-state laws governing certain branded titles will dictate how easy it'll be to register that vehicle within your state. "Parts only" and "destroyed" are two I've seen up for sale previously from one state that were not allowed to transfer from (for example) Georgia or Maryland where they'd been rebuilt, to say California or NY where prospective buyers were. From what I recall there's also a federal-level at which you must also conform, which makes some of the branded types impossible to transfer at the federal level but "legal" at the state level. Check this thread out.

Check this thread out for some fun light reading as a real-world example.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...tim-49374.html

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat