Salvage Defenders on Ebay - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 29th, 2008, 06:41 PM
minorthreat
Lance
1997 LE, 1997 Black ST

Salvage Defenders on Ebay

There are currently 2 D-90's on Ebay. The LE doesn't have a clean body panel and bidding is already up to $13,600!!! That maxcar guy in Atlanta seems to get max-money for his cracked up D-90's. It seems ridiculous to me to pay that kind of $$ for a vehicle that will need a ton of $$ to repair and have a salvage title at the end of the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 29th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Yeah, I saw those too. If the white one stays cheap it might be alright to turn into a ST and use for a trail rig, but that LE is absolutely rocked.
Old July 29th, 2008, 07:06 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Is it me or do you rarely see those up on ebay? I know two guys around here (LA) that buy them straight from the insurance companies long before they ever get to auction. Why the surplus?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 29th, 2008, 11:42 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
This guy Wayne who owns Maxcar seem to get all the salvage defenders for a few years, and he always advertised them for max prices. He seemed to be getting those prices for the most part. I talked to him a few years back about a engine fire 110 but he still wanted 25 or 29k for it. I think other auction goers have but into his mojo since he seems to have lots less for sale these days. His website is maxcar.net

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 30th, 2008, 07:50 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Easy to get that price for a d-90. Someone will just import a 110 and do the vin swap.
Old July 30th, 2008, 09:17 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

I bought my 110 from Wayne and found him to be a honest man. He buys exotic wrecks and sells them that is his business.
Old July 30th, 2008, 09:46 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Yeah, honest, but not cheap. Very straightforward, sends lots of detailed pix if asked - you'll know what you're getting.

Old July 30th, 2008, 10:44 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

I was very pleased with the price I paid, but several factors are working against the buyer:
  • Salvage vehicles can be more damaged than the buyer assumes, if you are not a professional estimator you are probably going to spend more than you think on repairs
  • In my state the work done to repair a salvage must be covered by someone with a rebuilders license, if you do it yourself then you must have a "side deal" with a license holder
  • The vehicle must be inspected by the state to recieve a proper title
  • financing is out of the question in most cases so you need cash on hand to play in this arena
  • Auction excitment can lead to overpaying
  • Vehicle history is usually lost in the wholesale process so you are not sure of the condition before the accident occured, in my case after I fixed the accident damage, I then had to assess the condition of the major components and make repairs that reulsted from normal use and wear
  • In my case I had a donor vehicle that was a good parts source that kept the cost down
It is not for the weak of heart but if you do your homework there are some good opportunities available.
Old July 30th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
My 110 was also a fire salvage purched from ebay through Wayne. I would agree with Scott's statements. Worthy of a trip to actually see the vehicle before completing the transaction.

My 110 structuraly proved to be much better than anticipated; virtually free of rust and an upgraded late model R380 tranny that wasn't advertised.

I was not able to finance it until after it was restored and registered, then it was a refinance.

I wanted a salvage so I didn't pay a premium for a running V8, knowing I wanted diesel conversion and vented bulkhead swap if financially viable. I believe I got that, and am satisfied.
Old July 30th, 2008, 11:45 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Maybe we should start a "Waynes World of salvaged rovers club"
Old July 30th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Even if we hosted our own PBS show, Wayne would never show up as a guest!

I have to say though, that salvage prices seem to have gone up quite a bit since I bought mine. You think they would be coming down with the new stream of 83's coming in. Don't understand what's driving the increased demand.
Old July 30th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Wayne is a good guy. I used to work for him. I actually had a website called Roverwrecks.com that we sold salvage Defenders on. I sold quite a few of those trucks. Still have records of all of them somewhere. It's crazy how many of these trucks have been burned up, rolled-over, stolen, stripped, rear ended, front ended, sunken in water (fresh and salt), or had trees fall on them (I'm sure I'm forgetting some other methods of destruction). It was good work while I was in college. I used to think that the '97 D-90 LE's were cursed!! Seemed like every other one we bought and sold was an LE!! A lot of those trucks have been salvaged and rebuilt. If anyone is interested, I'm happy to vouch for Wayne's credibility.

Will Hedrick
Old July 30th, 2008, 06:18 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Not as sketchy as this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...3756.m14.l1308

Gotta love the bedliner paint job.
Old July 30th, 2008, 09:22 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

I actually met Will through a purchase from Wayne, about 9 years ago, and have maintained a friendship with both. Wayne is all buisness, but it is, his buisness. Very honest and forthright. And Will, of course is just, Ninja Will.............who knows where every Defender is and has been!!
Old July 30th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Yeah, believe that is the tidewater guy. I like how he shows the missing bolt on the bulkhead tower. also no door seals whatsoever. I can't imagine a less pleasant vehicle to have out on the beach than a black hard top series land rover.

oh and typical UK truck black spray-painted rusty chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell
Not as sketchy as this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...3756.m14.l1308

Gotta love the bedliner paint job.
Old July 31st, 2008, 01:15 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh
Still have records of all of them somewhere.
Hey Will - would you mind pulling the records of all the NAS 110's you sold so that I can capture them in the registry? And if you still have some pull with Wayne, maybe you could talk him out of info for any NAS110's he sold after you moved on?

Wishful thinking?

Old July 31st, 2008, 11:15 AM
Willh
Will Hedrick

Registry
Jim,

My old records are actually on my old laptop, which crashed. I sent it off to to a data recovery facility, but they later informed me they wanted like $2,000 at the time to do the recovery, so I decided that it wasn't that important. I still have the hard drive and will eventually send it off, as it has other stuff on it that I'd like to have. Otherwise, I'd be happy to.

Will H.

P.S.- I don't think Wayne keeps track of the particulars that you would be looking for, but you never know!
Old July 31st, 2008, 11:35 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I just need VIN's and fates. Basically I want to be able to track what happened to which trucks, much of that info never shows up in carfax reports.

Old July 31st, 2008, 01:30 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh
Jim,

My old records are actually on my old laptop, which crashed. I sent it off to to a data recovery facility, but they later informed me they wanted like $2,000 at the time to do the recovery, so I decided that it wasn't that important. I still have the hard drive and will eventually send it off, as it has other stuff on it that I'd like to have. Otherwise, I'd be happy to.

Will H.

P.S.- I don't think Wayne keeps track of the particulars that you would be looking for, but you never know!
you can plug that hard drive in as a second drive on a desktop computer, and buy software for $40 that will recover it.
Old July 31st, 2008, 04:46 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
you can plug that hard drive in as a second drive on a desktop computer, and buy software for $40 that will recover it.
That'd be nice, getting ready to buy a new PC. Would be great to recover my old files.

Will H.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ebay