Salvage D90...What's it worth? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 22nd, 2010, 09:47 PM
Ted Aydt
1997 D90 #23
Salvage D90...What's it worth?

I've owned 2 D90's in the past and I'm jonesing for another one. A friend of mine is looking to unload his 97 D90 LE w/90K miles. It's not the prettiest truck out there but it's also not the ugliest....nothing that can't be cured. He is the 4th owner. Problem has a salvage title. However, nobody seems to know why. He had the truck professionally inspected prior to purchase and it is straight as an arrow. No signs of anything to indicate that type of "trauma." I've had it looked at with the same opinion. My question much should I let the title affect it's value and what do you folks think it's legitimately worth. It's a truck that I plan on keeping a long time (though I've said that before) so I'm not ultra concerned with resale...just concerned about overpaying. I would appreciate any opinions.

Old July 22nd, 2010, 10:08 PM
Re-Fendered 90
If it's "straight as an arrow" it was definately hit hard. Hard enough to knock a LR frame straight!

2009 King of the Hammers

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 10:11 PM
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
Could have been flooded fo sho.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 12:37 AM
Josh Harris
97/ D90 ST #1190
The truck could have of been stolen. A friend of my had has truck stolen and with about three weeks of waiting for the truck to show up. The insurance company cut him a check. Then about two weeks later the truck was found with really nothing wrong with other than the steering column and the ignition had been torn out. But they salvage the truck because they have already counted it as a loss.
When the F*%# did we get Ice cream!!!

"They are, in factory original condition, noisy, they leak water in from the top and oil out from underneath, you can never demist the windows in winter, they handle like scaffolding towers, and use more fuel than Beijing." Richard Hammond
Old July 23rd, 2010, 05:52 AM
90, D-I, & 109 Coiler S/T 5-door
Go by how the truck 'is', not the title. As stated above, some near perfect trucks have salvage titles, and some POS trucks have clean titles. We bought a truck w/ low miles that had been damaged front and rear with a clean title after sitting at the body shop for a year. The owner had let his girlfriend(unknown by his wife) drive the truck, and she had an invalid license, crashed, and he didn't want any trace of the story known( a lawyer, go figure). Bought said truck for next to nothing- hence not overpaying- and fixed/sold it(yes, with story disclosed). Point being, these things are 15 years old, many owners and lots of 'history'. I would be more concerned of the 90 a local guy bought new, had the RR installed- truck was for his son's graduation from college. He drove it to work once, 20 miles on the truck when he hit the overhead concrete at a parking deck going way too fast as he normally drove a 930. Torqued near all the body and some of the frame. Removed said rack, fixed the obvious, and so the 90 started life -and today still has low miles and a clean title... As the saying goes, buyer beware.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 10:27 AM
I have never seen a rover in person
-5k push or shove.
*not legal advice*
Old August 13th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Todd Miller
Land Rover
I am thinking of ditching the diesel Disco and going for a D90 again. The one I have my eye on has a salvage title. So a high mileage D90 SW that is otherwise ok should sell for perhaps $5k less than one with a clean title and similar miles, condition, etc.?
Do banks loan on salvage titles and can it be insured? Anyone here have real world experience of buying or selling one with a salvage title?
Old August 14th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Ken Jagolta
94 d-90
salvage title

A 5k deduct is about right......banks will not intentionally finance one.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

90, d90