Salt Lake City - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 3rd, 2005, 09:49 PM
TexasD-90
Martin Spencer
1994 D-90

Thumbs up Salt Lake City

My wife and I are moving to Salt Lake City in July. I am just looking for anyone who can give me some advice on jobs, housing, and recreation. I have never even been there, but she is going to go to graduate school at UU. We are going to visit in January, and would like any tips on what to do and see. I grew up in Colorado, so I can't wait to get back to the mountains. Any advice or just someone to lookup when we get there would be great. This will bring one more D90 to the area.

Thanks alot,
Martin
Advertisement

Old November 3rd, 2005, 11:22 PM
WS2000
Levi Shepherd
1973 109

I live a bit north of SLC in Syracuse. I like living here because theres always something to do outdoors no matter what the season. I don't know to much about jobs here but, the cost of housing is fairly cheap. So when you get here look me up and we can hit a trail or make a trip to Moab.
Old November 3rd, 2005, 11:45 PM
TexasD-90
Martin Spencer
1994 D-90

great

thanks. definately going to moab as much as possible. it would be nice to have someone to show me the good spots around salt lake also. i will definatly look you up.
Advertisement

Old November 4th, 2005, 01:54 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Martin,
That's great you're moving out here, the close mountains definately are the big perk in my book! I can't really help you with housing or a job much either, as I'm a student who's renting still. But you'll have to look me up when you get out here, I'm sure you'll love it out here. There are plenty of new developments and growth in the housing sector, so do some searching on places like www.utahrealestate.com etc. and you're sure to find something that suits you well. I know there's a few people from SLC on here. Maybe the others will chime in too.

BTW, what kind of work are you looking for in particular?
Old November 4th, 2005, 10:47 PM
TexasD-90
Martin Spencer
1994 D-90

right on

thanks man. it is good to hear good things about salt lake. can't wait to get out there.
Old November 8th, 2005, 11:24 AM
d901560
Brian B
94 ST

I used to live in SLC and still try to get back there to visit from time to time to get my fix of the mountains. The Sugerhouse area of SLC is a great place to live and is not far from UU. The Unita mountains are about 2 hours NE of SLC and you can use the logging roads to get to some really remote camping areas. Be sure to wash the underside of your 90 throughout the winter. They put a ton of salt on the roads when it snows.
Old November 11th, 2005, 03:44 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasD-90
My wife and I are moving to Salt Lake City in July. I am just looking for anyone who can give me some advice on jobs, housing, and recreation. I have never even been there,
You lucky SOB. I will always be a Texas boy but I really can't wait to move back to Northern Utah someday. As soon as I find a senior-level network security or software development job, I'm packing the 90. There's so much to do there and the people are so friendly. You're gonna have a great time.

To answer your questions:

Jobs: I always had my best luck finding jobs on Monster.com but I've also used a niche site for my industry to find work. Depending on what you do, you might also consider a commute to Provo/Orem for the right job. A lot of people carpool.

Housing: If you truly want the mountain experience and want to live in a town fit for a Land Rover, get a place in Park City. I lived up there and absolutely loved it. It's pricier than SLC but the lifestyle is worth it, IMHO. It's a small mountain town with three world-class ski resorts surrounding it. There's great dining and nightlife and the commute down to SLC is not too bad. When I lived there, I worked down in Provo which made for an interesting drive through Kimball Junction, Heber City, and the mountains every morning. If Park City is too much for you, find a place in SLC near the mountains. It's still a great place to live.

Recreation: You're surrounded by it. In the winter, you have skiing and snowboarding at any of the kickass resorts within an hour's drive (lots of em). For a cheaper day of fun, get a pair of snowshoes and head up to any one of the many canyons in the Wasatch range. When the snow starts melting and the ground turns muddy, pack up your Rover and mountain bikes and head south for Moab. Late winter is one of the best times to go to Southern Utah. Once summer rolls around, there's tons of four-wheeling in pretty much any direction you drive. There's great mountain biking in the mountains above Park City. You can pack up the truck and take a short day's drive north to Jackson Wyoming, the Teton range, and Yellowstone. There's whitewater kayaking all over the place. There's enough mountaineering and camping areas to keep you busy for years.

I'm really jealous, man. I think I'm going to go cruise Monster.com now.

Good luck!

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat