Salisbury drum length HD shafts and terrafirma new springs - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 4th, 2017, 12:46 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Salisbury drum length HD shafts and terrafirma new springs

FYI to all people who have Salisbury drum in the rear and are moving to 24 spline heavy duty shafts.

Both Ashcroft and KAM (now owned by frog Island/allmakes/terrafirma) have stopped manufacturing the drum length shafts. It may be possible to piece together parts but as of now no more long length shafts for thick flange/drums.

So if you are moving to disc in the rear, you now have to swap over everything and can't go the cheap route and keep your drum shafts.

On side note, terrafirma is Re-releasing all of its springs made by a new oem in Australia. So new part numbers, look, color and spring rates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 4th, 2017, 01:00 PM
brdhmltn
Brad
1985 110 2.5NA

So moving to stock salisbury discs setup, there is still an HD shaft option?

This is actually my weekend project for tomorrow. Move from drums to discs. I ordered all the parts to do an as-stock disc setup, no spacers needed.
Old August 4th, 2017, 01:06 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naplm00 View Post
FYI to all people who have Salisbury drum in the rear and are moving to 24 spline heavy duty shafts.

Both Ashcroft and KAM (now owned by frog Island/allmakes/terrafirma) have stopped manufacturing the drum length shafts. It may be possible to piece together parts but as of now no more long length shafts for thick flange/drums.

So if you are moving to disc in the rear, you now have to swap over everything and can't go the cheap route and keep your drum shafts.

On side note, terrafirma is Re-releasing all of its springs made by a new oem in Australia. So new part numbers, look, color and spring rates.
Damn, I guess I will have to order Hi-Tuff axles then (HTE1724/25X). So yes, there is still an HD shaft option, it just costs a little bit more for the shafts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 4th, 2017, 01:10 PM
Naplm00
Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by brdhmltn View Post
So moving to stock salisbury discs setup, there is still an HD shaft option?

This is actually my weekend project for tomorrow. Move from drums to discs. I ordered all the parts to do an as-stock disc setup, no spacers needed.
They you will be fine, as your axle will be like all post 1994 disc brake Sals. You will use disc brake shafts

------ Follow up post added August 4th, 2017 01:12 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
Damn, I guess I will have to order Hi-Tuff axles then (HTE1724/25X). This sucks as I have the earlier sals with a disc brake rear setup, but I guess spending a little extra for Hi-Tuff is better than converting to the new style.
Well that's alot extra. The old Kam shafts could be had for $650 us front and rear all in for Sals and rover
Old August 4th, 2017, 01:25 PM
Naplm00
Matthew

Double edit:

I just got off the phone with Dutchman axles in Oregon. They can make a double spline axle that will fit the Sal's inner and outer in any length. A set starts at five hundred bucks and we need I need to send them a flange and a spider from the inside

So that's another option for people.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat