Salisbury drum length HD shafts and terrafirma new springs - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old August 4th, 2017, 12:46 PM
Naplm00
Status: Offline
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 3,023
Salisbury drum length HD shafts and terrafirma new springs

FYI to all people who have Salisbury drum in the rear and are moving to 24 spline heavy duty shafts.

Both Ashcroft and KAM (now owned by frog Island/allmakes/terrafirma) have stopped manufacturing the drum length shafts. It may be possible to piece together parts but as of now no more long length shafts for thick flange/drums.

So if you are moving to disc in the rear, you now have to swap over everything and can't go the cheap route and keep your drum shafts.


On side note, terrafirma is Re-releasing all of its springs made by a new oem in Australia. So new part numbers, look, color and spring rates.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old August 4th, 2017, 01:00 PM
brdhmltn
Status: Offline
Brad
1985 110 2.5NA
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Huntsville,AL,USA
Posts: 46
So moving to stock salisbury discs setup, there is still an HD shaft option?

This is actually my weekend project for tomorrow. Move from drums to discs. I ordered all the parts to do an as-stock disc setup, no spacers needed.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old August 4th, 2017, 01:06 PM
JohnsD90's Avatar
JohnsD90
Status: Offline
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 2,291
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naplm00 View Post
FYI to all people who have Salisbury drum in the rear and are moving to 24 spline heavy duty shafts.

Both Ashcroft and KAM (now owned by frog Island/allmakes/terrafirma) have stopped manufacturing the drum length shafts. It may be possible to piece together parts but as of now no more long length shafts for thick flange/drums.

So if you are moving to disc in the rear, you now have to swap over everything and can't go the cheap route and keep your drum shafts.


On side note, terrafirma is Re-releasing all of its springs made by a new oem in Australia. So new part numbers, look, color and spring rates.
Damn, I guess I will have to order Hi-Tuff axles then (HTE1724/25X). So yes, there is still an HD shaft option, it just costs a little bit more for the shafts.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old August 4th, 2017, 01:10 PM
Naplm00
Status: Offline
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 3,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by brdhmltn View Post
So moving to stock salisbury discs setup, there is still an HD shaft option?

This is actually my weekend project for tomorrow. Move from drums to discs. I ordered all the parts to do an as-stock disc setup, no spacers needed.
They you will be fine, as your axle will be like all post 1994 disc brake Sals. You will use disc brake shafts

------ Follow up post added August 4th, 2017 01:12 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
Damn, I guess I will have to order Hi-Tuff axles then (HTE1724/25X). This sucks as I have the earlier sals with a disc brake rear setup, but I guess spending a little extra for Hi-Tuff is better than converting to the new style.
Well that's alot extra. The old Kam shafts could be had for $650 us front and rear all in for Sals and rover
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old August 4th, 2017, 01:25 PM
Naplm00
Status: Offline
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 3,023
Double edit:

I just got off the phone with Dutchman axles in Oregon. They can make a double spline axle that will fit the Sal's inner and outer in any length. A set starts at five hundred bucks and we need I need to send them a flange and a spider from the inside

So that's another option for people.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old November 29th, 2017, 03:06 PM
spikemd
Status: Offline
Ted
2001 P38, 2006 LR3, 1991 109
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sacratomato
Posts: 72
Is Bill at GBR making HD axles for Salisbury? $500 is a great price but I will swapping to discs as well.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old November 29th, 2017, 03:14 PM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Offline
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,631
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikemd View Post
Is Bill at GBR making HD axles for Salisbury? $500 is a great price but I will swapping to discs as well.
I believe he only imports ones for the disc braked axles, but you should ask him.

After this thread was started, Matthew did a group buy. http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...uy-117521.html
__________________
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old November 29th, 2017, 03:18 PM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Offline
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,631
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naplm00 View Post
Double edit:

I just got off the phone with Dutchman axles in Oregon. They can make a double spline axle that will fit the Sal's inner and outer in any length. A set starts at five hundred bucks and we need I need to send them a flange and a spider from the inside

So that's another option for people.
That actually brings up some interesting options. It would let you use any 30 spline Dana 60 differential while staying stock at the hub.
__________________
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old November 29th, 2017, 03:57 PM
slorocco
Status: Offline
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Great Mills, MD, USA
Posts: 962
I had the inner shafts for my front Salisbury made by Moser. About the same price range.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 PM.


Copyright
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.