Safety Devices US rep. Its official - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 6th, 2009, 10:56 AM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

I second those questions and any related questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 7th, 2009, 10:04 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Since they are never coming back ... what were the original moulds made of and what type of foam is it?
Dunno... never saw them and the rubber process was not done by SD, so they don't know either.

Story from Pat Fall (SD owner) was that they kept moving the jigs and molds around. Each time they called LR and asked about more parts. LR always said,"We will never order those parts again.". Tony Fall (RIP) kept them for years and years and kept bugging Rover asking,"Are you sure?"... after years and years SD finally scrapped the jigs and molds as they believed they would never be used again as it seemed clear LR would never order more. I was horrified, but the jigs and molds are gone forever.

I explored the costs of making them again, but it was staggering... like, only a car manufacture could ever foot the bill, type stuff.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old June 7th, 2009, 10:46 AM
stu454
Stu
2007 LR3

D2 rack, please!
Advertisement

Old June 7th, 2009, 01:59 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Would it be possible to get oval tube and create a shape that could be line-x'd and have a result that was a very close approximation?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old June 7th, 2009, 02:54 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Would it be possible to get oval tube and create a shape that could be line-x'd and have a result that was a very close approximation?
I would think that if we found out what the rubber foam was, we could find something that would work and create a decent copy using a wooden or fiberglass mold, even if it did not have the texture on it. Looking at one that was missing a pretty big chunk, it looked like a normal round tube with a very high density foam in the shape of an oval. Even if we could just figure out the type of foam, it would probably be possible to fix them satisfactorily which would make me happy enough.
Old June 7th, 2009, 02:59 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Oh yeah, I know its round tube underneath, and the foam makes up most of the shape, but I'm trying to figure out how get the right look without molding foam.

Old June 7th, 2009, 06:32 PM
minorthreat
Lance
1997 LE, 1997 Black ST

BSCI roll bar padding has some info on their website- rollbarpadding.com. I'm guessing the type of foam they use is similar to what is on Defenders.

After a quick look it seems they do some custom stuff. Maybe a solution could be found there?

Whatever route is chosen, I doubt any solution that closely approximates the NAS cage would be cost effective. I would be happy to see someone be able to fab a steel cage with the appropriate thickness (if not shape) of the NAS cage with the subtle peaks in the bends. SD cages without the foam look really dumb, as seen on some UK soft top conversions.

And WTF on Land Rover completely abandoning a part integral to the structure/safety/aesthetics of a vehicle it produced? Damn, I guess they really don't care about us.

What's next- LR looking the other way from a known defect that causes our vehicles to self-destruct in dramatic fashion? Oh wait... nevermind.
Old June 9th, 2009, 08:54 AM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

D2 RACK!!!!!!!!
Mike, If this is really possible what kind of lead times are we talking about??
Thanks
Jon
Old June 9th, 2009, 10:27 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by minorthreat
\What's next- LR looking the other way from a known defect that causes our vehicles to self-destruct in dramatic fashion? Oh wait... nevermind.
The only way to get them to look at the right way again is to complain to the NHTSA (http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm). Can you imagine how expensive a fix would be for LR? No wonder they try not to do it. [Sorry for the highjack, I'll post this in the "other" thread as well]

BTW, congrats on the deal ECR! While I don't need SD parts right now, I'm sure if I look under there I'll find a bunch of rusty parts.....
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old June 12th, 2009, 08:31 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBOD77
D2 RACK!!!!!!!!
Mike, If this is really possible what kind of lead times are we talking about??
Thanks
Jon
Still looking into it. The feedback that we are getting from D2 owners is that they would not pay for a SD rack. I think we will be concentrating on the Defender products mainly as those products will sell. SD says the D2 rack would be in the 2K range these days and all the D2 owners we have asked about that nearly had a heart attack.

Also, Ron, I checked with SD and they don't want me getting into the race car stuff. They want me to be 4x4 only. So you'll need to work with Stable Energies for your Porsche parts.

Old June 12th, 2009, 11:15 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Mike,

Thank you for trying. Maybe now that SD is back up and running Stable Energies will be better able/willing to get me the cage.

Ron
Old June 12th, 2009, 12:46 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

Mike, can you get replacement/fabrication parts from SD? I need a few saddle sets as used for the A pillar hoop removable dash bar, for 1.5 tube. I can make them but it would be easier to just buy a set. I would be looking for both the "strap" portion welded to the cross bar, as well as the "mount" portion welded to the A hoop. Thanks.
Old June 12th, 2009, 12:58 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner
Mike, can you get replacement/fabrication parts from SD? I need a few saddle sets as used for the A pillar hoop removable dash bar, for 1.5 tube. I can make them but it would be easier to just buy a set. I would be looking for both the "strap" portion welded to the cross bar, as well as the "mount" portion welded to the A hoop. Thanks.

Replacement "parts", yes. Like just a front hoop or something to replace a damaged part.

The small bits that make up those parts (like tubing bends and the foot of a bar), no.

Old June 12th, 2009, 03:32 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Replacement "parts", yes. Like just a front hoop or something to replace a damaged part.

The small bits that make up those parts (like tubing bends and the foot of a bar), no.
OK thanks. Making small parts like that eats so much freakin time.
Old June 12th, 2009, 04:08 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Yeah I'd love to find a source for those strap/mount pieces. Would make it much easier to make look-alikes
Old June 12th, 2009, 07:36 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Would make it much easier to make look-alikes
I think that answers the question as to why SD won't sell those little parts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
safety devices