Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 17th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Safety devices Cage / P&P Cage

Well , I have to post this as I took so much crap about the P&P Cage , and how much better the Safety Devices is.... blah .. blah..

Today I've replaced the wing on the NAS90, with a SD cage.. well my dear haters, the flimsy POS support that goes inside the wing has no comparison to the P&P

okay ..now .. lets all sing cumbaya *LMAO*
Advertisement

Old April 17th, 2011, 10:02 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Without pics I believe nothng
Old April 17th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Pics of what me replacing the wing or the flimsy POS cage stud?
Advertisement

Old April 17th, 2011, 11:09 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
Pics of what me replacing the wing or the flimsy POS cage stud?
Safety devices became trendy so, for no other reason, it is the best cage ever. Get that straight.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old April 17th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s View Post
Safety devices became trendy so, for no other reason, it is the best cage ever. Get that straight.
My bad, why in hell would I not want a flimsy support to my cage
Old April 18th, 2011, 02:58 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
the safety devices cage is not trendy so much, but it's OEM-ey. It got cache for being the "stock" cage, and it really looks better than all the other ones out there. If you don't understand that aesthetics is the number one concern when cage shopping, then you mist be one of those "hard-core off-roader types."

That being said' I just mostly finished installing a Safety Devices cage this weekend. I've got a couple bits left to do, but it's almost all there. I took pics and will post a thread when i get around to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-729538876.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	37948  

Old April 18th, 2011, 05:15 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
I've been trying to figure out what cage to get myself. I'm going to end up with one of these. http://www.whitbread-offroad.co.uk/r...nal.php#switch The SD cage is the best looking, but the price is absurd for what you get. Most will bust nut over it because it is what's on the NAS trucks and for some reason everybody wants to recreate the NAS look kinda like leaving the badge of the back of your BMW so nobody knows you have the cheaper model. My only beef with the PP cage is the 110 rear supports are too close together and looks funny. Both the SD and Whitbread are further apart. I guess that and the price also.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old April 18th, 2011, 06:14 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
What does the whitbread one cost? My SD cage was 1350 UKP. They all have to be shipped of course.

Old April 18th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Goose,
I could be wrong, but doesn't the P&P cage sit on the body and not really tie to the frame in most places? And yours doesn't have an internal hoop, right?

The SD fender cage support you are talking about is perfect for where it sits and what it does. It's 1/4 angle that bolts to the outrigger AND three holes going up the A pillar/door jam. I would argue that is actually the strongest point where the cage mounts because it's bolted to the bulkhead and frame.

What does your P&P use at that point?

Semper Fi!
Old April 18th, 2011, 06:52 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
What does the whitbread one cost? My SD cage was 1350 UKP. They all have to be shipped of course.
The whitbread one comes in installed at under 1k GBP. Then you can add on your extra desires as far as x-bars, light bar, whatever. Option for an internal rear hoop. The only big differences I see aside from looks is the front fenders go straight thru then bolt to the frame as opposed to having a similar base as the rears and then the entire cage is welded together as opposed to every section sort of unbolting. Where'd you get the cage from? Direct from SD? I was never able to get them to quote me on a cage so I got RBL181 7SSSquoted from Foley installed and it was over 2k GBP +VAT which I could get removed, but still significantly more. Haven't gotten a quote on the external 110 cage, but I imagine it'd cost way more installed. I'm sure the 1350 would be accurate just for parts?

Old April 18th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication
Goose,
I could be wrong, but doesn't the P&P cage sit on the body and not really tie to the frame in most places? And yours doesn't have an internal hoop, right?

The SD fender cage support you are talking about is perfect for where it sits and what it does. It's 1/4 angle that bolts to the outrigger AND three holes going up the A pillar/door jam. I would argue that is actually the strongest point where the cage mounts because it's bolted to the bulkhead and frame.

Nope. All points seat on frame, and yes no internal through the roof hoop
Old April 18th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I have seen photos of the SD bulkhead outrigger mounting bent. they could be stronger, boxed in would be good. IIRC the PnP one is a rectangular tube that goes straight to the outrigger. Additionally, I have been advised that not all of the SD front legs went to the outrigger, just some of the later ones in the NAS run and the later aftermarket stuff. Of course this is all somewhat anectdotal and some of it based on second or third hand information from people who claim not to be able to remember things very well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Goose,

Old April 18th, 2011, 09:31 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
I've been trying to figure out what cage to get myself. I'm going to end up with one of these. http://www.whitbread-offroad.co.uk/r...nal.php#switch The SD cage is the best looking, but the price is absurd for what you get. Most will bust nut over it because it is what's on the NAS trucks and for some reason everybody wants to recreate the NAS look kinda like leaving the badge of the back of your BMW so nobody knows you have the cheaper model. My only beef with the PP cage is the 110 rear supports are too close together and looks funny. Both the SD and Whitbread are further apart. I guess that and the price also.

The Whitbread cages look OK but what is with this Caulk seam on the front. I am leaning towards P&P... It's like they got 90% finished then said "fuck it just put some caulk around it". And what is with that bolt below the intake???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	green_lane_3.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	37950  
Old April 18th, 2011, 09:50 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
The Whitbread cages look OK but what is with this Caulk seam on the front. I am leaning towards P&P... It's like they got 90% finished then said "fuck it just put some caulk around it". And what is with that bolt below the intake???
Didn't look like caulk to me. Looked like the same sort of edge stripping that you get with a mantec snorkel for discovery's that goes around the edge where you have to cut.

Old April 18th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
the safety devices cage is not trendy so much, but it's OEM-ey. It got cache for being the "stock" cage, and it really looks better than all the other ones out there. If you don't understand that aesthetics is the number one concern when cage shopping, then you mist be one of those "hard-core off-roader types."

That being said' I just mostly finished installing a Safety Devices cage this weekend. I've got a couple bits left to do, but it's almost all there. I took pics and will post a thread when i get around to it.
lol.

Have any of you US guys priced out a local fab shop? The prices in US are around 3K. For that, I bet you could get exactly what you wanted made here. The cage design is really lacking from a strenth perspective, so maybe making it out of 4130 would help. Just a thought. I know a few places that would beat 3K.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old April 18th, 2011, 10:47 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
Didn't look like caulk to me. Looked like the same sort of edge stripping that you get with a mantec snorkel for discovery's that goes around the edge where you have to cut.
It's probably a trim lock edge. I just think that all the other points are through bolted. Why didnt they do the same up front. I like the prices but it seems that they cut a corner on this part. I think that is an opportunity for water intrusion.
Old April 18th, 2011, 01:08 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
@mrgreenspan - yeah, 1350 was just parts. I did the install myself and I could easily see foley charging 700+ quid for the install, it took me almost 20 hours. A shop probably wouldn't take that long, but it was still a labor intensive process.

@ren change - my 95 NAS didnt even have the little attachment brackets for the bulkhead outrigger. The 93 110 had them, I think it's a hit or miss thing.

Ive said it before, i consider a cage to be a one-use item. I don't have one so that i can bang the body against trees, ive got it so i feel better about the integrity of the truck. If it does it's job once, I'm happy. I recognize that buck wants something else from a cage.

Old April 18th, 2011, 01:19 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Jim

Did you do it all yourself?
Old April 18th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s

lol.

Have any of you US guys priced out a local fab shop? The prices in US are around 3K. For that, I bet you could get exactly what you wanted made here. The cage design is really lacking from a strenth perspective, so maybe making it out of 4130 would help. Just a thought. I know a few places that would beat 3K.
Exactly. I've quoted several 110 and 130 cages, and they run about $3500 to fab. I have zero desire to build one as they are very labor intensive. That's why I bought a SD one versus building one.

Semper Fi!
Old April 18th, 2011, 02:20 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Jim

Did you do it all yourself?
I did it mostly myself with help at critical points. Its not a one-person job to put the rear hoops on, and extra assistance makes it go a lot faster anyway.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
cage, safety devices