Advertisement

Old April 18th, 2011, 03:48 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
the safety devices cage is not trendy so much, but it's OEM-ey. It got cache for being the "stock" cage, and it really looks better than all the other ones out there. If you don't understand that aesthetics is the number one concern when cage shopping, then you mist be one of those "hard-core off-roader types."

That being said' I just mostly finished installing a Safety Devices cage this weekend. I've got a couple bits left to do, but it's almost all there. I took pics and will post a thread when i get around to it.
Jim,
Did you open the hood yet?
We are fitting our first Puma 110 cage in the shop next week and our rough guesstimates were that the hood was not going to clear the front cross bar (we were going to move it up slightly). SD is not listing the 110 external cage yet for Pumas due to some interior hoop, rear leg and hood bar issues that may need to be addressed.

------ Follow up post added April 18th, 2011 03:51 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Additionally, I have been advised that not all of the SD front legs went to the outrigger, just some of the later ones in the NAS run and the later aftermarket stuff. Of course this is all somewhat anectdotal and some of it based on second or third hand information from people who claim not to be able to remember things very well....
Correct.
The 1993 110 and early 1994 90s had the foot that spanned the bulkhead outrigger. Land Rover dropped that part in late 1994, I can only assume because it was harder to install. The bulkhead legs on the 97s don't even have the possibility as the bottom of the bulkhead brace is not there.

There are numerous options and ways you can go with cages, no one way is right or wrong, just pick what works for you and your budget. Here are some pictures of a NAS 110 that got hip checked by a semi at 60 mph. The truck then caught air and high sided hard onto the RH side and slid down the road. Owner and passengers walked away. Cage shifted and some bolts broke, but everything did its job, as other cages would/will.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05726.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	37953   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05725.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	37954  

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old April 18th, 2011, 06:21 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Ha ha, yes Mike, I did open the hood. There does seem to be less clearance with the bar at the lower edge of the windshield, but it still opens fine with no touching. In fact, I threw a bunch of rags in the valley when the hood was open to support the bar as i was installing it. I have a prop-rod hood, so I'm not sure if it is held open as far as a scissor-type hood prop. I also haven't checked to see if i could lift the hood off without the bar in place.

There were a ton of little mods required, check your inbox, I'm gonna hit you up with a ton of pix.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-4294724240.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	37955  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 19th, 2011, 08:11 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

One thing to bear in mind when discussing the relative virtues and drawbacks of these roll cages is that there is an advantage to a design which is not excessively strong and rigidly tied to the frame. You certainly want enough design strength to provide protection in a rollover, but ideally it is beneficial to have a degree of deformation so that some of the energy is absorbed and not transmitted. In a sense, allow the roll cage to be the sacrificial lamb, so to speak.
Old April 19th, 2011, 08:32 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Jim,
Just sent you a some stuff from SD. Let me know if you didn't get it.
Thanks for the feedback from your side, and see the stuff I sent you for feedback from SD. Sounds like at least some of your issues would have been resolved if the supplier had given you the newest version of the instructions.
Thanks for the pictures! Its fun being the guinea pig isn't it. We have to be one all the time.

Old April 19th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Ha ha, yes Mike, I did open the hood. There does seem to be less clearance with the bar at the lower edge of the windshield, but it still opens fine with no touching. In fact, I threw a bunch of rags in the valley when the hood was open to support the bar as i was installing it. I have a prop-rod hood, so I'm not sure if it is held open as far as a scissor-type hood prop. I also haven't checked to see if i could lift the hood off without the bar in place.

There were a ton of little mods required, check your inbox, I'm gonna hit you up with a ton of pix.
That cage looks different than mine ( maybe because is for a Puma? )

My front hoop is a one piece , as are the middle and rear
Old April 19th, 2011, 09:34 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Gustavo, let's see pics.
Old April 19th, 2011, 09:41 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
That cage looks different than mine ( maybe because is for a Puma? )

My front hoop is a one piece , as are the middle and rear
The SD cage on Jim's 110 is the 110 full external (as used on NAS 110s) and is the RBL1727SSS
There is no Puma cage at this time. The standard 110 external is going through some tweaks to be Puma ready, but the cage Jim is fitting is the stock SD 110 external.
The front hoop isn't really a hoop. Its made up of a bunch of different pieces.

The middle and rear hoops (and interior hoop) are "hoops".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	L172 General Assembly.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	37958  

Old April 19th, 2011, 12:14 PM
DNinety
JP
1984 Ninety 200TDI

Does anybody have one of the PP cages they call SVX? One appears to be what I think of as SVX - a fastback look, wheras the other one they have labeled as SVX looks more NAS-ey with a squared-off back end. Just curious if anyone
here has installed one.
Old April 29th, 2011, 05:22 PM
wfv56
Bill Vaughan

Mike can ECR supply the external SD cage for a 110? Thanks Bill
Old April 29th, 2011, 10:21 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfv56 View Post
Mike can ECR supply the external SD cage for a 110? Thanks Bill
Yes. In stock.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
cage, safety devices