Safety Device NAS D90 roof racks return (part 4) - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 12th, 2009, 10:36 AM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
I have been following this thread for a while now. I don't understand why they decided to just make 25 racks. It would seem to me that if they were going to bother with setting up all the machinery, that they would either keep producing them, or at least make enough to keep in stock for a year or so. I am sure the 25 were pretty much spoken for as soon as the announcement was made. At $2500, they aren't exactly giving them away either. IMO they should have made a whole lot more instead of this "limited edition" run. Really, what's the point of a limited edition roof rack? It isn't going to be any more desirable to have one with a plaque on it, is it?

Sorry, just ranting. I am probably the only one who feels this way.

97 D90 SW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 12th, 2009, 10:40 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
They don't want to over-commit to a product for a truck that hasn't been sold new in more than 10 years. You'd think there'd be a UK demand for the rack, but perhaps licensing restrictions get in the way or something. Seriously, most stuff like this is spot production. Even companies like BMW and Mercedes that pride themselves in having almost any part available for almost any car still only make prudent sized runs of product. Sometimes you have to wait a couple years to get a new rear deck spoiler for an M635csi...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old February 12th, 2009, 10:50 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnpalmer
I have been following this thread for a while now. I don't understand why they decided to just make 25 racks. It would seem to me that if they were going to bother with setting up all the machinery, that they would either keep producing them, or at least make enough to keep in stock for a year or so. I am sure the 25 were pretty much spoken for as soon as the announcement was made. At $2500, they aren't exactly giving them away either. IMO they should have made a whole lot more instead of this "limited edition" run. Really, what's the point of a limited edition roof rack? It isn't going to be any more desirable to have one with a plaque on it, is it?

Sorry, just ranting. I am probably the only one who feels this way.

Lots more factors than you are seeing here.
-It has been hard to sell the entire run of 25. These are not flying out the door. We may be able to sell them all, but just.
-Costs, with shipping and all we make less on racks than any other part we sell. The difference is that I wanted to offer them to my customers, so we went ahead and did it anyway. They are not money makers.
-If there was enough demand (and so far by trying to sell 25 I would say there is not (Maybe when the economy turns around)) then I could work with them to make more, but why??? If you barely sell 25 why would you make 50??
-The 25 number was set by me because I guessed that was the number we could actually sell, and not be sitting on a bunch of money in inventory. Turns out I was right on.
-I never assumed the limted run rack would be of any more value. To me it was just that they were available. I do not see them being any more valuable. The numbers was SD's idea and is a nice touch, but not meant to add value (IMO).

So what is the problem??? Racks are available and a few are left. If you want one... buy one.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYM
Mike:
Any discussion w/ them about a second run of stock NAS D-90 racks?
There are no plans for a second run at this time.

Same thing as the post above... Why do a second run???

If we made 25 and 25 is all we can sell, why make 50 or another 25?

My credit line would not like sitting on $60K worth of rack inventory.

I guess with racks still available I'm not seeing why we need to make more.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 12th, 2009, 10:53 AM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
No problem, now I see the big picture. What would be cool is if they were available for a once a year order. Say you could order a batch every year, money up front. That way, people wouldn't feel as if it were a buy it now, or it is gone forever type of thing(which is the vibe I am getting).
Don't get me wrong, I appreciated the opportunity and think it is a wonderful thing that you have done by bringing these back, I just hope that there is one left when I need it.

97 D90 SW
Old February 12th, 2009, 11:03 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

If there is enough demand then anything is possible, but examine the numbers...
Like Jim said it has been about 10 years since they were available. In 10 years off the market we will barely sell 25. So if you look at that as a proper ratio it would take another 10 years to get another order of 25 sold (yes, there are other factors, but lets just use that for now).

SD said that in set up time and such if they don't make (and sell) at least 25 then they would be loosing money.

So a yearly run would be nice... but judging by demand I can't see it happening. I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

Trust me, I pushed these racks to Atlantic British, DAP, EE and all in order to try and sell more in order keep more in circulation. Not one of those companies ordered 1 rack. Can't say I blame them, the economy sucks.

Demand is low... so supply is low.

Economics 101... make 1 less than you think you can sell.

Old February 12th, 2009, 11:04 AM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Mike-- Will the SD racks fit ROW D90s? Because within the next couple years, the 84+ D90s will start to be hitting our market... may increase sales a bit..
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old February 12th, 2009, 11:07 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmuller
Mike-- Will the SD racks fit ROW D90s? Because within the next couple years, the 84+ D90s will start to be hitting our market... may increase sales a bit..

Nope.
The front part of the SD NAS rack attaches to the NAS roll cage.

SD (and a lot of other companies) already make racks for ROW 90s. It is the NAS roll cage that messes things up and really limits the options on racks for NAS 90 owners.
ROW 90 owners have a world of choices.

Old February 12th, 2009, 11:09 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Except you _have_ to have the front cage to mount the rack, and there is no real need for the rear ladder assembly if you aren't running a soft top. This thing was pretty much a custom solution for the NAS trucks, after all, you can always just slap any old gutter-mount rack on an older hardtop 90.

Plus I don't see grey-market 90 owners as being the same sort of "big spenders" that many original NAS owners were. Lots of our trucks have racks because the original owners didn't bat an eye about dropping 2500 on a cool looking rack.

Follow-up Post:

Mike is faster than me. Oh well.

Old February 12th, 2009, 11:11 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC

Mike is faster than me. Oh well.
At least I don't feel alone in my thoughts on this.

Old February 12th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I agree. There isn't going to be a big demand anywhere else b/c they will probably only fit the Anniversary Editions and Japanese 90s. They might fit a 90 with a SD exo cage but I don't know if that would even work.

I am surprised EE didn't buy a few though. I think the economy is what really killed the sales on them. If this had come up a couple years ago, or if it happens again in a couple years, I think they would sell very quickly. If it weren't for the economy right now I would probably buy one and just sit on it until I have a chance to use it but, just can't justify that the way things sit right now. Good luck with the sale though Mike, and thank you again for spearheading this!
Old February 12th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I may just break the news to the wife that I am going to get one. What is the average shipping cost, say to VA?

Semper Fi!
Old February 12th, 2009, 12:05 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Rescue
What is the average shipping cost, say to VA?
Unknown. We do not have weights on the crates yet.

Old February 12th, 2009, 12:13 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
So what is the problem??? Racks are available and a few are left. If you want one... buy one.

Follow-up Post:

There are no plans for a second run at this time.

Same thing as the post above... Why do a second run???

If we made 25 and 25 is all we can sell, why make 50 or another 25?

Oops, sorry, Mike. My question about a second run was pre-mature. I wrongly assumed they were sold out.
Of course, your logic makes perfect sense.
Old February 12th, 2009, 05:30 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Out of curiousity, how tall is a stock D90 with a rack?

Ron
Old February 12th, 2009, 06:29 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Just under 7'6". I know this because that's the max height to not get an over-height fee on WA state ferries, and I always just scrape through. But if I have the roof tent on, they nail me.

Old February 12th, 2009, 06:59 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
My credit line would not like sitting on $60K worth of rack inventory.

Hey Mike, please keep us posted if there are any left in the end. I don't *need* a replacement for my existing/rusting rack, but I might want one to have one stowed away for the future.. And I'm willing to support the ECR, if I get a free sticker.
Old February 12th, 2009, 08:16 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOB
Hey Mike, please keep us posted if there are any left in the end. I don't *need* a replacement for my existing/rusting rack, but I might want one to have one stowed away for the future.. And I'm willing to support the ECR, if I get a free sticker.

Stickers are free even you don't buy anything.
Just send a SSAE to ECR and we will send you one.

I checked with Holly before she left and I think they are all gone now, but I'll have to confirm with her, I think she is still taking names in case someone has to back out (it is rough times).

Old February 12th, 2009, 08:22 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

"Just under 7'6"."

Oh, well, I knew I should have gotten an 8ft garage door.

Ron
Old February 12th, 2009, 08:43 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
"Just under 7'6"."

Oh, well, I knew I should have gotten an 8ft garage door.

Ron
Yeah, that was pure folly on your part.

You need me to build that Dormobile for you don't you?

Old February 12th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR

Stickers are free even you don't buy anything.
Just send a SSAE to ECR and we will send you one.
Oops, I should have had her toss one in with my tail lights. BTW, they look and work great, thanks for grabbing the bull by the horns on those too!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, ac, d90, nas, part, rack, roof, roof rack