87 Ex-MOD 110

I want one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 12th, 2008, 06:21 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Am I the only one who prefers the ECR rack over the Safety Devices Rack? I always wanted a Safety Devices one but it looks like crap next to the ECR one.

The floor, lower profile, abilty to run a tent without cutting the front out, etc etc make it sweet. Granted I am not holding my breath for it to be available mail order
Old December 12th, 2008, 06:31 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
No, you're not the only one, that's why I ditched my SD basket a couple years ago in favor of this custom one by Shane at Rover Hybrids.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=11073

I wasn't even the first, Dave Marchand had his made up (by Matt Brown) a couple years before that.

The basket just seems like styling to me (and conservation of material). It looks pretty, but just doesn't work as well in the read world as something more squared off that has a bottom perimeter rail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 12th, 2008, 07:16 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

that is a nice rack. love saying it
Old December 12th, 2008, 07:30 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Is anyone here going to get one of the limited edition racks?

97 D90 SW
Old December 12th, 2008, 10:13 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I am waiting on pricing information
Old December 13th, 2008, 09:19 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

I'll try to answer questions:

Range Rover Classics:
The market for parts for these is dead. They will not be making items for them. I agree with their choice on that because a few years back I made up just 10 RR Classic rear bumpers and it took many years just to sell ten.

Only 25:
SD has been through some tough times recently and they are testing the waters. If the 90 racks sell they may do Discos and such, but the new management does not yet agree with me that a market exists in the USA for these. So after years of asking they agreed to test the waters with 25. I think 25 will fully satistfy the market. These racks are cool, but are not going to sell like hot cakes or anything. Both SD and ECR do not want to be sitting on unsold racks, so we picked a number that gives us some volume to get the unit costs down, but not so many that it takes 10 years to sell them all.
When I left the office Friday there were only 18 racks left available.

Price:
I only have guesstimates right now. They will not be priced until they land on my loading dock and all costs can be added up. I'm hoping to be under 2K.
If you are serious around that price point call Holly to get on the list (no obligation, she'll just call you when we have the price).

ECR racks:
After building 3 systems for customers, just finished another (see project #214) it appears the ECR rack is not viable.
To build racks and such you need to do it in a factory to lower costs. We can make anything, but what I need is a 15/hour place that can make a rack. I don't have that. We would be loosing money if we made racks at a lower rate than our shop work rate and if you fabricate something at shop rate it gets too costly and as we are busy with building trucks, taking a mechanic away from shop rate to build a rack at a required lower rate to make the product at a sell-able price point is not possible. I'm still looking into way to get the costs down, but in looking at having other cheaper places build them the quality they want always sucks. They want to reduce the wall thickness, cut coners here and there and I don't want my name on that cheaper product. I need cheap workers and we don't have those in ME.
I'm still going to do them for in shop projects, but mail order is on hold until I find a cheap fabrciation place that can make the rack to my standards... and I'm not holding my breath on that.

and yes... "nice rack" is very fun to say.
We toyed with naming the ECR rack simply "Nice Rack"... my wife said that was a bad idea.

Follow-up Post:

Also...
I have had some requests for rack "parts" (just a ladder, or just cross bars). If you are serious and just needs "parts" I can place that order with SD for this shipment, but I will have to have all those orders (and they will need to be confirmed orders) before the end of the year.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf
Am I the only one who prefers the ECR rack over the Safety Devices Rack? I always wanted a Safety Devices one but it looks like crap next to the ECR one.
Thanks for the kind words.
I'll do my best to find a way to make these cheaper so that they can compete price-wise.

SD has been open so far to taking the ECR design and making it in their factory. I'll keep houding them. They say it depends on how well racks sell in the US.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old December 13th, 2008, 09:29 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnpalmer
Is anyone here going to get one of the limited edition racks?
Shawn, I am interested, so if you're interested, we could spilt the shipping.

Old December 13th, 2008, 06:04 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Mike thanks for the reply, I wonder about the RRC market? I know anytime a SD or infamous KVT rack comes along they seems to sell pretty quick. I would think that a number of the guys here would be jumping on these limited number of racks.
Old December 13th, 2008, 06:42 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
Mike thanks for the reply, I wonder about the RRC market? I know anytime a SD or infamous KVT rack comes along they seems to sell pretty quick. I would think that a number of the guys here would be jumping on these limited number of racks.
Its the difference between economics of scarcity and economics of excess supply. When something is hard to get, people jump on it, whenen they are readily available, people hold off.

Old December 14th, 2008, 12:17 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Would be awesome if SD makes the ECR rack. Hopefully the limited one will sell well so they will be open to it. If not looks like my truck needs to go to ECR. It can be on the list with 300 tdi, galv chassis, etc, etc
Old December 14th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I really want a rack, but the look and design of the SD rack doesn't do it for me. I think my only option is to make my own.

Semper Fi!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, ac, d90, nas, part, rack, roof, roof rack