Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 14th, 2016, 01:48 PM
DailyDrivenDefende
Michael
1989 110, 1985 90 200TDI

Safety Device 110 Roll Cage Delivery

Hi all,

Just wanted to ask those who got safety device roll cage for 110s. How did you receive your cages?

I am trying to schedule to be liftgated but I am being told by the vendor that it cannot be done but the shipping company says that it is and it is matter of shipper authorization.

:puzzled:

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 14th, 2016, 01:56 PM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
Had mine delivered to a local rover business where they used a forklift to take it off the truck. Had zero issues.
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Old March 14th, 2016, 02:06 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Delivered via UPS freight with a lift gate to my curb.
Advertisement

Old March 14th, 2016, 02:07 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyDrivenDefende View Post
I am trying to schedule to be liftgated but I am being told by the vendor that it cannot be done but the shipping company says that it is and it is matter of shipper authorization.
I only have experience with a 90 cage, but it fit on a pallet. The vendor had no interaction with me after it hit US shores. The final resting place for the cage was a third-party shipping company (not the company that shipped my cage overseas) where the entire rear of the building was loading docks. After showing the release paperwork, they put the cage on a forklift and moved it into the bed of the pickup I was driving.

I'm not sure what liftgating is, but I would assume that transfer of the cage to another vehicle is solely at the discretion of the shipping company that is holding your cage. Not sure what authority your vendor has.
Old March 14th, 2016, 02:24 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Hi all,

Just wanted to ask those who got safety device roll cage for 110s. How did you receive your cages?

:puzzled:

Thanks.
It's a PITA but freight brokers will do the delivery and some trucks do not have a liftgate.

That said you can call the transport company and see if they offer liftgate service, don't deal with the broker they largely do not care in these instances.
Old March 14th, 2016, 02:42 PM
DailyDrivenDefende
Michael
1989 110, 1985 90 200TDI

It is a US vendor. It is for 110 and is both internal/external cage combo.

The shipping company offers lift gate service. I just wanted to see if lift gating was not possible with this shipment and also see what others have experienced.
Old March 14th, 2016, 05:53 PM
bossongs
Steve Bossong
1973 Series III 88 PU

I picked up one via ECR 4 years ago...full internal/external cage for a 110 Station Wagon. I had it delivered freight to the house. It came in one large particle-board crate ...I'd say it was 8'x6'x2.5'. They unloaded the beast with a lift gate right in front of my barn. Lift gate had no issue weight-wise or size-wise .... we offloaded it standing-up with the 2.5' side down, on the gate.

I didn't call ahead to ask the company for a lift gate ...but did make it clear that I didn't have a loading dock.
Old March 14th, 2016, 08:01 PM
DailyDrivenDefende
Michael
1989 110, 1985 90 200TDI

Thanks for the information. I don't know what the issue is but they are saying that the dimension is too much of a hassle.

BTW, Do you have any tips on installing this thing? I am sorta thinking if I should have ordered the full external....... but then I need this 110 to fit in garages in downtown.
Old March 15th, 2016, 07:45 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Usually the SD cages are delivered in a very large open crate. It is heavy but more awkward to manage. Can you have it delivered to a freight terminal? It will be a lot cheaper and they always have fork lifts to get it into your truck or trailer. Plus you don't have to wait around for the delivery truck.
Old March 15th, 2016, 08:05 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Used uship to get it from Safari HP to my place then (sold it) I broke it down and put everything inside a 110 and drove it down to Ash in Florida. Breaking it down and stuffing the little, well padded, pieces in a truck work if you have to have it sent to a freight center.
Old March 15th, 2016, 10:35 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Thanks for the information. I don't know what the issue is but they are saying that the dimension is too much of a hassle..
Who's "they"? If it's the vendor, who cares?
Old March 16th, 2016, 10:24 AM
bossongs
Steve Bossong
1973 Series III 88 PU

DailyDrivenDefende: Thanks for the information. I don't know what the issue is but they are saying that the dimension is too much of a hassle.

BTW, Do you have any tips on installing this thing? I am sorta thinking if I should have ordered the full external....... but then I need this 110 to fit in garages in downtown.

Tips ...while not for a 110, I found this article for a 90 install that answered most of my questions/set my expectations on what it would take to cut panels and get the underlying linkages in place to the frame: Defender 90 Roll Cage Installation.

Also, probably worth mentioning and should not be a surprise if you've been playing with these trucks and various UK suppliers for some time ...don't expect everything to fit/line-up. Expect to use some muscle to bend and force fit/align bolt holes...especially the bars that come up from the front wings and slant back over the front doors.

Steve B.

PS - Parking garages are off limits for my truck. Even without the cage, i found my self looking up through the sunroof as the concrete supports inched over my truck (stock suspension).
Old March 16th, 2016, 10:41 AM
DailyDrivenDefende
Michael
1989 110, 1985 90 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Who's "they"? If it's the vendor, who cares?
The vendor found a delivery company who would haul it to me on a lift gate. I suppose when a broker ships, it uses multiple vendors to move this point to point?
Old March 16th, 2016, 12:11 PM
DailyDrivenDefende
Michael
1989 110, 1985 90 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
Used uship to get it from Safari HP to my place then (sold it) I broke it down and put everything inside a 110 and drove it down to Ash in Florida. Breaking it down and stuffing the little, well padded, pieces in a truck work if you have to have it sent to a freight center.

It seems like the vendor will work on it so that they will have someone deliver it for me to my place on a liftgate. The new trucking company seems to be ok with handling the cargo.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old March 16th, 2016, 12:12 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
The vendor is the one who complete the BOL with the shipping company, lift gates are selected at that point. Typically an extra $100.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, cage