Safari Trailers - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 24th, 2008, 10:46 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Safari Trailers

I am gauging interest in safari trailers.

I have a friend who has been manufacturing trailers (similar to Halmark) for the last decade. I have been after him to build a safari trailer for me. I have worn him down and he is going to build one as a prototype. I will post pics when it is completed.

I wanted to get input from you guys in what might work in the marketplace.

My first concern with what is currently available from South Africa is price point; at $12-$15K they are ridiculously overpriced (IMHO).

The idea is to build the basic trailer that you could fit out yourself with a price tag of around $4k.

The trailer is 5' wide by 8' long, has a vee nose and is 30" high from the frame to the top of the body.
  • The unit will have doors all the way around for stowage
  • Room for two propane tanks in the nose
  • steel frame
  • Aluminum body panels
  • 3 aluminum racks integrated into the body for roof tents
  • 28" clearance under the trailer
  • electric brakes
  • stabilize legs at each corner for camping
  • load tie downs integrated into the floor
  • thick rubber mat on floor of trailer
  • ez lube hubs
  • Dexter axles
  • leaf sprung suspension
  • DOT lighting
  • interior dome lights
  • Room for water tank
  • Spare tire mount with spare
  • 12v electrical system
  • Mud tires on 15" wheels
  • NATM Approved
  • Available in 8 colors (even two camo patterns)
The idea is you can outfit the trailer with voltage converters, jerry can mounts, water, battery, roof tent, stove, refrigerator, what ever you want.

The trailer would supply the basic package. These trailers are very sturdy, lightweight and easy to modify.

The quality is very good. The hardware is good as well. This company has built large motorcycle trailers for Orange County Choppers.

What are your thoughts, comments, suggestions?
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2008, 10:57 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Depending on the amount of off-road travel you are considering, you may want to consider something other than leaf springs. You may or may have not read this, but it is a good read...

AT Suspension Write-Up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 24th, 2008, 11:08 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Thanks for the info.
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2008, 02:58 PM
zimm
bart
anyone moves..... #238 sold

id be nice to have something like that for 4k. id be surprized if you got that done though. 5x8 box seems sorta biggish. maybe 4.5x7 with fenders?
Old July 24th, 2008, 03:37 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

5 is the width, the length can be shortened. I selected 8 feet long so that you could actually sleep in it if the weather was really bad (like caney fork last january). Also I wanted the tires to track in the trucks wheel path.
Old July 24th, 2008, 03:58 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Make it like an Adventure Trailer except not ridiculously expensive and it will sell just fine. I love m419 trailers too, and I have heard that there is a kit you can buy to DIY.

97 D90 SW
Old July 25th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Eric_S
Eric
'97 D-90 ST #1507

Design it so you can fit 4x8 sheet of ply or drywall laying flat on the floor.
Just so it's a little bit more versatile.
Old July 25th, 2008, 08:51 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

The current dimensions will accept a sheet of plywood in the interior without any problem. Additionally the rack will accept them as well.
Old July 25th, 2008, 11:45 AM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

Same bolt pattern as rover wheels so you only have to worry about one type of wheel for a spare
Old July 25th, 2008, 01:52 PM
zimm
bart

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
5 is the width, the length can be shortened. I selected 8 feet long so that you could actually sleep in it if the weather was really bad (like caney fork last january). Also I wanted the tires to track in the trucks wheel path.
so basically youre looking at a teardrop trailer w/o the shapeing?

http://tinycamper.com/pricing.htm

the 500 base model w/suv package.....
Old July 25th, 2008, 02:35 PM
NashvilleRover
Dendy Jarrett
2009 LR3- Well Built

Well, you would be competing with this:

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=16068

If you are looking for one of these that is completely bullet proof, given your location (in Georgia close to Atlanta?), you should at least consider spending a little extra for a trailer that is designed for the African Military.

Just a thought.

You'll see one behind my NAS 110 in that thread as well as pictures with it deployed.

Thanks
Dendy

This was not an attempt to hijack this thread, rather an informative comment made in order to help you gauge your decision.
Certainly a US made trailer that meets up to the specs on this trailer would most likely be a welcome item, that said, the A/T is a great trailer, and I believe relatively fair priced for what it is. I have found nothing to compare with the tent quality on these Conquerors.
D
Old July 25th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Just an idea ...

Well I am making my self a expedition tent trailer. I'm going with a standard used small tent trailer in very good shape and taking all of the wheels and under frame off. Then making an aluminum frame with independent trailing swing arms on air rides and with Land Rover hubs and an independent alternator system with dual battery setup. Also a on top basket for extra loading, the tent trailer already has all the plumbing for potable water and propane, inverters and can be popped open in a relatively small timeframe.

The problem I have is with traveling with young kids (2) space gets to be an issue and having the extra space once opened it allows for a decent base camp platform.

I realize that it will be larger and longer than an AT trailer and alike, but I also realize that most places I go width (extra 12 to 16 inch) and length (2 feet) doesn't pose as much of a problem as ground clearance and flex.

This is my next winter project and will post pics of it as I will do the mods.

If anyone has more ideas please pitch in as this is still on the drawing board.

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Old July 27th, 2008, 11:02 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Conquerors are great trailers no doubt about it but I cannot justify the price tag. At $12K+ it is a bit too steep for me. The idea here is to emulate the quality of the SA trailers on a NA budget.

Nice looking rig Dendy!
Old July 27th, 2008, 02:10 PM
zimm
bart

Quote:
Conquerors are great trailers no doubt about it but I cannot justify the price tag. At $12K+ it is a bit too steep for me. The idea here is to emulate the quality of the SA trailers on a NA budget.

Nice looking rig Dendy!
but can you do that? for the volume youre gonna get, parts and labor cant go much over 3k. is this gonna be completely in the white? no s/n's, no paint no lights? whats the target for dry weight?
Old July 28th, 2008, 08:49 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm
but can you do that? for the volume youre gonna get, parts and labor cant go much over 3k. is this gonna be completely in the white? no s/n's, no paint no lights? whats the target for dry weight?
These will be titled trailers with serial numbers and DOT lighting, brakes etc. completly road legal. The core idea to reduce cost was to modify an existing product line that the manufacturer is already producing. This is far less expensive than creating a new product from scratch.

I have been working with the company for almost ten years doing photography and advertising. Over the years I have come to know their product line very well.

I saw that they had all the right "ingredients" to build a good safari trailer. I went through the factory and identified all the doors, latches, axles, tie downs, materials, racks and then adapted the features into a modified design of their popular 5x8 cargo trailer model. The panels are aluminum that come in colors so paint is not an issue.

The price point of the 5x8 is very low due to the economies of scale, I know the extra options that I have specified will add to the cost but I see the whole thing coming in at a very reasonable price.
Old July 28th, 2008, 09:02 AM
zimm
bart

Quote:
These will be titled trailers with serial numbers and DOT lighting, brakes etc. completly road legal. The core idea to reduce cost was to modify an existing product line that the manufacturer is already producing. This is far less expensive than creating a new product from scratch.

I have been working with the company for almost ten years doing photography and advertising. Over the years I have come to know their product line very well.

I saw that they had all the right "ingredients" to build a good safari trailer. I went through the factory and identified all the doors, latches, axles, tie downs, materials, racks and then adapted the features into a modified design of their popular 5x8 cargo trailer model. The panels are aluminum that come in colors so paint is not an issue.

The price point of the 5x8 is very low due to the economies of scale, I know the extra options that I have specified will add to the cost but I see the whole thing coming in at a very reasonable price.
nice. since youre artsy, you gonna do a "mockup"? id like to see exactly what you have in mind.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat