safari gard d90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 17th, 2003, 03:31 PM
jperakis
James Perakis
94 ST

safari gard d90

it looks like the SG defender is up for sale... i wonder what greg has planned next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2003, 04:56 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

He has it listed on AutoTrader for 65K if anyone is interested.
Old November 17th, 2003, 05:11 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2003, 05:48 PM
jperakis
James Perakis
94 ST

yea but i would think that its money well spent,as that is probably one of the best 90's out there
Old November 17th, 2003, 11:42 PM
tbmcneill

i don't know, its certainly nice.......but, $65k will get you A LOT of rock buggy that would work better on the trail. .... heck, even a street legal one that looks like a 90. 8^}
T
Old November 18th, 2003, 12:29 AM
scot
Scot Yount
95 Coniston Green D-90 SW

65k???? For this kind of treatment?????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	whoops.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	113  
Old November 18th, 2003, 12:29 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I'm with Troy on this one for sure! 65k and not a weld I would trust in the lot!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old November 18th, 2003, 04:01 AM
jperakis
James Perakis
94 ST

hey the price set follows what they charge for their product too ( an arm and a leg) but come on guys.. a 4.6, SG EVERYTHING, lockers, all those EXPENSIVE lights, 4.7s... that thing is loaded.
Old November 18th, 2003, 12:02 PM
tbmcneill

I agree with you that the SG stuff is 'pretty', but there's other fabricators and ways of doing things that are better and cheaper...

take a look at Buckon37s truck ... its going to be a sweet rig with similiar (better?) capabilities for less bank.

here's what you do ....buy my D90 that i'm returning to stock .. for ~$15k ... then take the other $50k & the truck & drop them off at any one of the good custom fabricators around Colorado & you'll end up with an amazing off-roader that has a 4.6 (or 5.2L if you give it to keith), a set of ProRock 60 axles with 5.13 gears, coilovers, & more accessories than you can shake a stick at. heck, you could even throw in an Atlas II t-case ..... of course, there may not be any $$$ left for those bling-bling $1000 lights

granted, Greg has spent ~$100k on that thing & for someone $65k may be a good deal.
T
Old November 18th, 2003, 12:39 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Man, Troy beat me to it He said everything I was going to. SG is definently sparkly and pretty but you are still left with major axle issues. I spent less than half of that price on mine including the buy price and the 300Tdi. I figure if it doesn't adaquately bling I can chrome the roll cage yeah right!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old November 18th, 2003, 01:29 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Last year I thought he had it listed for $80K...

A lot of work has gone into that D90 of theirs. I can fully appreciate how much time and $$ Greg has devoted to that rig but highly modified rigs that are actually used, dont move for that kind of price which I would think is why you are not seeing it listed on the Rover sites. Look at the really modified rigs that have been showing up on eBay the past few months. There have been some sweet rigs that never sold even in the mid-20's.

I just hope that whoever buys it, wheels with it. I am sick of seeing the nice D90s that have been selling recently, never be heard from again or stipped down.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old November 18th, 2003, 01:37 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
i agree use it for em what they was built for however IMHO 65k is a little expensive for something that has been beat up off road. in my semi educated about is what in the souped up D90 world you could build a comprable truck for less. When it all comes down to the bottom line give me a toyota truck with spools marlin case big ol SPOA SAS lift mud grips and a substantial driveline i could hang with that D90 for a fraction of the cost, and still have a D-90. to each thier own. No doubt teh $ Gard is a bad ass truck and I am not hating on anything, its all about bang for the $$
Old November 18th, 2003, 01:39 PM
RX6RCROL
Matthew Hedrick
1994 D-90 #646

Registry
This Defender (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2440325770) appears to have everything that SG's has and it didn't even come close to selling at $24,000 on ebay, It does have a salvage title. I'd like to sell my white 94, but I'm worried that my salvage title scares to many people away. How does the title lower the value in your opinions?
Old November 18th, 2003, 02:26 PM
tbmcneill

if you go by edmund's, the price of the vehicle will lowered by the amount that it would cost to return it to excellent condition.

i ran into this with mine. carfax didn't catch the salvage title that had been issued at one point on the used 90 i bought. the title that came with the truck when i bought it was 'clean'. then when i listed it on ebay, ebay's VIN service (can't remember who it is ... not CARFAX), flagged it as salvage. i tried to take things up with CARFAX to no avail.

They screwed me on a Honda of mine, too. It got flagged with an odometer rollback .... while I was the owner of the car!!! Evidently, when I moved from NC to CO, CO DMV records what the mileage was when you BOUGHT the car, not the mileage that is actually on the car. So, even though, the Honda had a legit 112k miles on the odometer, CARFAX says that when it got titled in CO the mileage was 22k and flagged it as a rollback!!!

sorry, i'll get off my CARFAX soapbox ..... then you're just limited by the buyer. chances are someone looking for a perfect truck isn't going near anything that's ever been listed as salvage. Personally, I'd be the same way. My only exception to that would be a Defender since I know them well & know what to look for.

My 'clear'-titled, but once salvage 90 is going back on the market sometime in the next few weeks & I'm attempting to price it according to condition, but add a few extras like a Badger top, etc..... & still keep the price near 'rough' condition price as defined by Edmund's. Its just the price you pay for salvage titles (pun intended ... )
T
Old November 18th, 2003, 02:30 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

15,000 seems very reasonable, even a little low for your truck. Are you having trouble selling it troy?

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old November 18th, 2003, 05:58 PM
tbmcneill

actually, it hasn't been for sale since September. I had it up for 3 or 4 weeks & then started parting things out. I had a couple of offers, but nothing that really excited me ..... although, i did get an offer for a straight up trade for a single seat comp buggy based on a toyota with a Marlin turbo case, custom Mog axles (front and rear steer), competition compound 37" or 40" krawlers, coilovers, etc. .... + trailer (see pic) that I almost went for.

so, the $14-15k (whatever it comes out to) will get you a mechanically sound wheeled 90 with 65k miles, Mastercrafts, Badger top, Bill Burke sliders, & a couple of other odds and ends ... not the 37" beadlocked, lifted, locked-up 'fun' truck that once was
T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	daren-baja2.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	114  
Old November 18th, 2003, 06:02 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

That buggy was pretty sweet. I might have done that! Good luck. If I had the dough I would buy it from you! That is a good price.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old November 18th, 2003, 06:27 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally posted by tbmcneill
..... although, i did get an offer for a straight up trade for a single seat comp buggy based on a toyota with a Marlin turbo case, custom Mog axles (front and rear steer), competition compound 37" or 40" krawlers, coilovers, etc. .... + trailer (see pic) that I almost went for.
Nice. Think he would trade for my Disco? LOL

Are there more pics of it on P4x4?

CVC

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old November 18th, 2003, 07:29 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
why wouldthe winch cable be wrapped around the axle
Old November 18th, 2003, 08:40 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

To compress the front end so that you have a lower COG in off camber circumstances.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90