Safari Gard - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 14th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

Safari Gard

I was just curious what people thought about SG products. Any quality issues, fitting, etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2004, 02:57 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

I would give them A+ for their product's. A for the customer service, and C for including instructions and shipping time.
Old January 14th, 2004, 03:52 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

A+ Quality
D- Costumer Service(7 weeks to get my Rock Sliders)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2004, 03:56 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Joe, I think you will get different answers for the customer service since some people had great service and some had the worst service. If you can go pickup your stuff from SG then you are making the right choice

Good luck,
Old January 14th, 2004, 03:59 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

I'd give their products an A, price C+ (but then is any Defender Acc inexpensive!! , and shipping a B as it was only delayed for about a week. But that was on a purchase about three years ago. I'd still order things from them.

DJ
Old January 14th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

Thanks. I live only an hour away so I would pick the stuff up myself. I have already ordered and installed the sliders and am waiting for the brushguard. Like I said I was just curious b/c I was thinking about some of their suspension upgrades.
Old January 14th, 2004, 07:52 PM
Art Vigil
Arthur Vigil
None

Thumbs down "I was just curious what people thought about SG products..."

Wow!

These are not the answers I expected to see when I scrolled down this thread. I guess all the SG fans are on line today.
Where to start? Here's my opinion:

Quality of Products: Low
Brush bars (I don't call what they make bumpers) - Made from open channel (3-sided) material, which is weaker than similar designs (Rockware, Rovertym), made from box beam tubing. ARB is also open channel but reinforced and bulky which gives it strength. I've seen SG "bumpers" and rock sliders bend into the body panels causing damage to the parts they are supposed to protect. Yes, even the "heavy duty" ones. This begs the question: Why did SG come up with an HD version of their rock sliders? Shouldn't they have been that way in the beginning?
Rock Sliders - No reinforcement in the center. Try jacking up your vehicle with them and watch how much they flex. You're welcome to come to my house for a demonstration before I have Rockware modify them. Burke's sliders are much better and probably less expensive.
Diff guards- Joke. These fall off if bumped. They should be welded on or better yet replaced with the super thick Mantec units.
Suspension components - comparable to others out there, but like everything else, way overpriced. Springs seem to be better than Rovertym however.
The 3-link is probably the only product they make that someone else doesn't make better. This is the only SG product I like.
Too bad they're the only ones making it. I suppose I can live without it and go with a hinged arm.

Also, has anyone out there installed a Safari Gard product that came complete with all the fasteners and all the holes lined up? My Rockware bumper's did. So did my Rockware shock mounts and EE stuff.

Next question: Did you receive your order when promised? Were they even able to tell you when you'd receive it? This leads into the next area:

Customer service: #$%!#
C'mon guys even if you like their products, how can anyone honestly say their customer service isn't the worst out there? Really. Maybe the posters above had a positive experience, but do a search on the D90 list or even this bulletin board for numerous stories of incredibly bad service over the years from them. I won't even add to this there's already too much material out there. My comparison is based on the service I've received from Rockware and Expedition Exchange, which is hard to live up to.

FWIW - I'm only referring to the products Safari Gard makes specifically for D90's. As to their other stuff, I'd say guilty by association.

Well...you asked...
'95 RRC - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'72 Series III 88" NADA Turner 2.25 petrol (Lovely Rita)
'95 RRC Brooklands/TWR Edition 3.9V8
'97 D90SW NAS #2426 - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'95 D90ST NAS#2620 - Original owner
Old February 9th, 2004, 09:06 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I just ordered a few things from SG and had no problem... Got the stuff on the east coast in less then 2 weeks. Also spoke with Mary a few times and she was great on the phone.
Old February 9th, 2004, 09:53 PM
redrover

hum! great product-hard to get it when you want it and it will usually be missing something critical for install. MY latest saga is rims. Not their brandname , but they sell em. I ordered some procomp rims in july---mary said 12 days. I got them 8weeks later. Then i decided to buy a spare rim on Nov1. I have yet to see it, but at least they charged me for it already. jp
Old February 10th, 2004, 11:07 PM
redrover

Yippie my rim came on feb10. I couldnt wait to mount it and have it tear my rear door apart bit by bit. So I opened the box and guess what? Stay tuned for the saga on next weeks show. ..
Oh the suspense is to much--you guessed it, IT WAS THE WRONG RIM. Did I mention I love SG.
Old February 10th, 2004, 11:14 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I got all the right parts and was missing nothing. Even came with all the directions..
Old February 11th, 2004, 12:16 PM
lobster
Rob Goodall
1995 D90

Not too good!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat