Safari Gard - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 19th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

Safari Gard

I was reading through a couple of the new posts and someone mentioned Safari Gard and commented negatively. Thios seems to be the norm when anyone mentions their stuff.

Although, I am local and usually schedule to pick up my purcahses in advance I have yet to have a problem with their customer service or the quality of their products. In fact Mary has been more responsive than some of the other vendors I have purchased from.

I just thought that with all the negative comments regarding SG that people should hear the other side as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 19th, 2005, 03:20 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P
I was reading through a couple of the new posts and someone mentioned Safari Gard and commented negatively. Thios seems to be the norm when anyone mentions their stuff.

Although, I am local and usually schedule to pick up my purcahses in advance I have yet to have a problem with their customer service or the quality of their products. In fact Mary has been more responsive than some of the other vendors I have purchased from.

I just thought that with all the negative comments regarding SG that people should hear the other side as well.

I think that's probably because you're local and you pick your equipment up on-site. From what I've read most of the complaints are shipping related.

DJ
Old April 19th, 2005, 06:37 PM
UpnOver
David Williams
'97 Yellow ST

I order the rear hitch and the hella matador couple months ago when they were on a weekend sale. I was nervous about ordering from them. But, they came through in five days I received them.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 19th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P

If I were you I would go buy a Lotto ticket.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old April 19th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Since it's probably coming out the thread I started about steps, I'll give my thoughts on it. But I can't say it's from first-hand experience, since I've never ordered from them. Just that I am hesitant to order because of these complaints that I have seen.

I've seen more than a few comments on here, and other places, with negative remarks about Safari Gard's customer service. The distinct majority of the comments were along the lines of "I ordred a 3-link (or other big ticket complex item). After 1 month of waiting, I started e-mailing them with no response. After 2 months of waiting, I started calling with no response. At the 3 month point, I got somebody on the phone who promised me my (insert product here) would be shipped in a week. At 4 months it showed up with missing parts. At 6 months, I stopped trying to get the parts and made them myself"

I can understand if things are backordered, and there are delays. I'm fine with that, but I'd expect a response to any query about the status to be recieved in under 72hours by e-mail. Even if the answer is only "still waiting for the parts, are trying to get them". I don't mind waiting, as long as I know the company is going to keep me informed of things.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old April 21st, 2005, 01:35 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

There is another thread on this same topic. In a broad and blanket statement on MY personal experience: most of the companies on this site with links that I have tried to purchase/buy from the experiences have been poor. Attitude, service, materials delivery. The only great experience was Badger tops who replied fast, clearly, and friendly (although I am still saving up the $). Oh, and the input / aid of fellow LR owners is the saving grace - beeuutful ! If only the vendors actually reacted to customer input.
Old April 21st, 2005, 02:18 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

My 2 cents on 2 things...

1. I've heard the nonsense about SAFARIGARD and have chosen not to buy anything from them... I've also heard that their products, for instance their BULL BAR is junk... These were coming from veteran D90 Enthusiasts, they told me buy an ARB or a Rockware... screw safarigard. Heard the same about their other stuff, but not to the magnitude of the Bull Bar.

2. Paul,
I hear what you're saying, I used to get frustrated but have found a couple that were very good. I've used RDS and they were pretty good but THE BEST vendor I've seen for parts, and I'm not talking about money or money savings is MOHAMMED at RoverCity.com in Orlando. Last week, I ordered a starter and he instantly sent me a fax confirming the part, had me on the phone with LR confirming the 'new part #' for all starters, AND called UPS before we shipped with me on the phone to confirm the delivery date (I needed it in one day) and even called me back on Tuesday to see how it went. THEN today, I had to order a water pump (It's leaking all over the place) and I called him and he did the fax thing, instantly, and EVEN called a guy who had just done the water pump and conferenced me in so I could talk to him for about 15 minutes. UNREAL. I've never seen this anywhere. On top of that the guy gave me his cell to give him a call if I get in a bind. From now on, if I have time, I might shop RoverCity a little, but I'm probably going to end up getting all my stuff from Mohammed from now on. He can source 'hard to get' stuff too.

In any case, that's my case.

Nicholas Orros

Old April 21st, 2005, 03:21 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

As much as I agree with the fact that SG has some issues, I think it is important to point out that a lot of this we brought on ourselves. Rover owners, especially D90 owners are notorious for buying ludicrisly expensive parts that are "shiny" and "bolt on". Whatever the fad is that week, everybody goes out and does it. SG was the fad for a long time, and everybody needed the bumper, or the little limb risers, or the ...... What would you do if people would pay rediculous prices for your barely adequate parts? I would laugh all the way to the bank. Jeep owners never faced this issue because they would weld in there garage and swap axles, and build things, and take there trucks to fabricators. And, really wheel. So when venders came around, the parts were made well, priced competitively, and the service was good. I think things are moving in the right direction now with a few people and a few shops. It's nice to see heavily modified rovers out there. SG has one, and he should be applauded for that, even if it was paid for by people throwing $3500 into a front axle housing just to keep it stock. Okay, rant over.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old April 21st, 2005, 05:37 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

Quote:
If I were you I would go buy a Lotto ticket.
Have you ever ordered anything from them?

Well everyone is entitled to their opinion. I didn't intend for this post to turn into a typical SG bash session. In fact I think there is another thread out there for that. I just think they get a bad rap from people who "heard from someone" or "read somewhere" about some bad experience, and not from their own experiences. I just wanted to let people know what my experience was.

As far as their stuff being inadequate, I really haven't wheeled my D-90 enough to know, but by looking at the bios on this site it seems that there a lot of folks out there wheeling with SG products. The SG D-90 seems to be a pretty capable rig and they use their own stuff so that was good enough for me when I was making my decision.

Quote:
I think it is important to point out that a lot of this we brought on ourselves. Rover owners, especially D90 owners are notorious for buying ludicrisly expensive parts that are "shiny" and "bolt on". Whatever the fad is that week, everybody goes out and does it. SG was the fad for a long time, and everybody needed the bumper, or the little limb risers, or the .......
I wonder if adding spider man looking roll cages to your rover will ever be a fad?
Old April 21st, 2005, 06:17 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Yes, I have bought from them and:

"I wonder if adding spider man looking roll cages to your rover will ever be a fad?"

Point made perfectly. Go take your 2in lift and SG whatever, wipe it down to a nice shine and park your truck in front of the GAP at your local mall. Exo-cages have been around for a long time on trucks used for something. Sorry if it does not look snob enough for you.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old April 21st, 2005, 06:27 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
maybe not everyone needs a jungle gym. that being said i am not sure there were a terrible number of options when the Defenders were first availible, i think thats when SG made thier mark
Old April 21st, 2005, 07:26 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

Quote:
Point made perfectly. Go take your 2in lift and SG whatever, wipe it down to a nice shine and park your truck in front of the GAP at your local mall. Exo-cages have been around for a long time on trucks used for something. Sorry if it does not look snob enough for you.
And you call me a snob! I use my truck as a DD and to wheel. I certainly wouldn't consider it a mall cruiser - but you're right I like the way my Rover looks and I don't wheel it in areas where it is more likely to get ruined than not.

I also purchase things from other sources than SG and have experiences with RDS, RoverTym, and other traditional LR vendors.

Quote:
Exo-cages have been around for a long time on trucks used for something.
I know - just not ones that look like shit.

Anyways as I said earlier this post was simply meant to share with others my experience with SG. I am sorry if my D-90 offends you David. Just b/c I don't weld my own cages or fab my own axles doesn't make me a mall cruiser or anyless of a Rover entusiast.
Old April 21st, 2005, 08:20 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Not all of us own the truck for the way it looks. I find function quite attractive. You may not consider it a mall cruiser, I do. Funny thing is I wrote that second post to defend SG. Oh well. I don't fab my own stuff usually either, I just don't run out in a hurry to spend money to have a truck like everyone elses. And yes, you are a snob. Your rover does not offend me, your attitude does. You, and a lot of others, think anything that is slightly out of the "norm" is totally repulsive. God forbid I put something on my truck that others don't have. Would you approve if I stuck a SG and a Biltien sticker on it somewhere?

Back to the topic, Phil is right, SG was the first and that helped. Plus they have some very good products, and some very bad ones. My point is that people unwilling to do anything that is even slightly creative have allowed the venders to get lazy and expensive. Some new shops and a few rover owners out there are now changing that and I think it is great. Sorry if I ticked you off Joe. I was not insulting your decision to shop there, I was simply pointing out that our trouble with SG is a result of attitudes like yours (anything different is evil). I think it is kinda a Rover Racism. Ha, now we have a new meaning for RR!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old April 22nd, 2005, 08:52 AM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

Again, everyone is entitled to their own opininon. If you think I am a snob and a mall cruiser b/c I wouldn't put an exo- cage on my truck or fab up some crazy gear - whatever. I have plenty of well thought out mods on my truck that I put to use offroad.

I don't hate your truck, I don't think it is repulsive - it is a D-90 after all. I don't think any different is evil. In fact I have a certain amount of respect for your truck. I don't like Picasso, but I appreciate his work and have a certain respect for it.

Anyways after I thought about it last night I wanted to say that I didn't mean to offend you - I was just pissed you call me and my truck a mall cruiser - which represents alot off what I dislike about Rover owners and 4x4 owners in general.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 09:21 AM
javelinadave
-
-

You two need to meet in Oceanside for a beer or a brawl.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 09:23 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Fair enough Joe. I am sorry, I was out of line.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old April 22nd, 2005, 11:18 AM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

Quote:
I was out of line
I was as well and I apologize for that.

BTW - I wouldn't mind getting together for a beer b/c I would like to check out your truck in person. I get down to San Diego for work all the time.

Joe
Old April 22nd, 2005, 05:08 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Sure, I line in Temecula now and am in LA 3-4 times a week. Driving the Nissan though. We should go out wheeling.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat