Sad day in the junk yard - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 28th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Sad day in the junk yard

So today I walk into my local rite-aid and run into my friend who has a disco1 and he says that yesterday he saw 4 discos and 3 rangies at the Sunvalley U pick a part. I get an instant boner and rush over there an hour before they close excited to finally see some rovers at a U-pick a part (first time for me ever seeing a rover there) So after a few minutes of looking, I finally see them. All the Discos and rangies were OBDII which meant no Disco Cold Start chip for me to horde onto I keep walking and I see a P38A Rangie with a 4.6 nearly intact. Amazing I thought to myself. I open the hood and theres Orange spray paint on the manifolds and plenum. Then I see it, a green sticker that says this vehicle was a part of a federal program that requires the engine be permanently disabled with sodium silica (liquid glass) On the outside, the motor was exceptionally clean except for the computer to be gone. I even noticed they spilled some of the glass mixture onto the upper hose where it dried. I push on it with my finger and sure enough it cracks just like glass but not as sharp. I think to myself what a waste of a perfectly good 4.6. I'm curious if dissassembled and cleaned, can you re-use the pistons, rods and crank in a good used block? Anyway, the rest had the same stickers except for this one early RRC 3.5. The computer was still there underneath the passenger seat, amazing. When i got home all I could think about was that 4.6 block. Barack Hussein Obama's smiling face should of been on that sticker as well. Anyway I still feel sad and kinda mad about it.

Neil

Robert Deniro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 28th, 2009, 10:02 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Somewhat related, A friend runs a BMW dealership service desk and was telling me about the engine wrecking they were doing. The vehicle that ran the longest with the glass in it was a D1, he said they could not believe it it ran for half an hour! Loose tolerances I guess?
Old September 28th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
And it amazes me that a new H3 and other trucks are on the list as "fuel efficient" upgrades in the CFC program. Gee, by a whole 1mpg more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 28th, 2009, 12:08 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley
... I think to myself what a waste of a perfectly good 4.6... When I got home all I could think about was that 4.6 block. Barack Hussein Obama's smiling face should of been on that sticker as well. Anyway I still feel sad and kinda mad about it. Neil
Sounds like a perfectly normal response to a sad event.

But; didn't you have the foresight a couple of years ago to snag 1 or 2 new 4.6 short blocks from Brit Pacific?
Old September 28th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYM
Sounds like a perfectly normal response to a sad event.

But; didn't you have the foresight a couple of years ago to snag 1 or 2 new 4.6 short blocks from Brit Pacific?
Yep thank goodness I did. I picked up a 4.0 and a 4.6 crate and are still in my living room. Also have a good used 4.0 I took apart for informational purposes. I think I'm going to go back and get that timing cover off that Range Rover Classic 3.5. I figure I could get stuff like that as well as intake and exhaust manifolds/pulleys to make my install next time a lot easier with that stuff ready to go. That 4.6 block was clean, I bet it had less than 100,000 miles. It still had its leather seats in there and they look really good, someone who needs them should snag them up. As most people who go to U pick a part don't own rangies and discos too often which is why those cars are still intact there.

Robert Deniro
Old September 28th, 2009, 05:12 PM
redhummer96
Taylor
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNY
Somewhat related, A friend runs a BMW dealership service desk and was telling me about the engine wrecking they were doing. The vehicle that ran the longest with the glass in it was a D1, he said they could not believe it it ran for half an hour! Loose tolerances I guess?

The guys in our shop are having a blast with this also.....It's not everyday you come into work to blow/lock an engine up.

We had a couple of 4.OL I-6 Jeep engines that ran much longer then they should have also. I need to ask and see how long the 2 Dicos we had ran.....
Old September 28th, 2009, 09:28 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
D1's amd RRC were rolling into scrapyard before C4Clunckers
Old September 28th, 2009, 11:18 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Maybe I'll head over tomorrow to see what I can salvage for use on my truck. How were the seats and interior?

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90
D1's amd RRC were rolling into scrapyard before C4Clunckers
Not too many in California. In fact I cant recall ever seeing a rover in a pick-a-part yard in So Cal.
Old September 29th, 2009, 12:40 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymoe
Not too many in California.
People tend to keep their cars longer on the west coast and midwest as opposed to the norhteast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymoe
In fact I cant recall ever seeing a rover in a pick-a-part yard in So Cal.
I said scrapyard as in crusher and shredder. not a pick a part yard. (not trying to be mean, a misinterpretation is all)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat