rust - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 23rd, 2007, 03:20 PM
carl, joseph

I have a 95 d-90 that is litterally rust free. I almost feel guilty washing it because it seems like it has never been wet. Besides the obvious of drying it when it does get wet & keeping salt off it, is there anything else that I should watch for, or trouble spot that I dont know about that will sneak up on me?

Also what products do you recomend for cleaning, waxing the interior & exterior.

Old March 23rd, 2007, 03:25 PM
Hans Haase
The Lab Rat
Most of the truck will never rust, as the majority of the body is almuminum. The firewall(Bulkhead) is steel and a possible source of rust, as is the capping that runs along the top of the body tub.

On the frame, which is steel, the major concerns for rust are the rear crossmember and especially the gas tank skidplate. My skidplate recently collapsed from being totally rotted out, stainless replacements such as those from SlickRock are a drop-in replacement with no modifications needed.

My oil line fix

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:29 PM
shane cates
94 d90
true with the gas tank. I made a new one out of twice the thickness of the factory. Swiss cheesed it a bit for water drainage which I think was the problem with the original. One other thing that I noticed on my truck, the door panels themselves while being aluminum on the outside are actually connected to inner metal frames. Mine are showing some deterioration. I am waiting until I do a repaint to make new ones. The door handles are starting to rust a bit. Nuts and bolts everywhere are a little rusty. I am told that a stainless hardware kit that was once available is no longer (correct me if I am wrong). Other than that, everything is cool. I think the gas tank thing is because of lack of water drainage. I am new to this truck, so others probably can give you more info.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:41 PM
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43
If you are really anal about it, you can pull the door panels and spray body wax in all the crevices. The rear cross member (as stated) tends to get road grime and mud caught behind it and cause rust. I would suggest going ahead and replacing all the hinge hardware with stainless. You can get the kit from Rovers North, or you can try to locate it elsewhere. Also, the hinges will start to rust and then sag. You can leave them be and wait till they are bad before replacing or you can get a set of the newer style from europe that have nulon washers to prevent friction from wearing through the paint. The other likely place for it to start is at the front of the floor under the floor mats. There is a little trough where the bulkhead meets the floor board that collects water and rots out.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 01:03 PM
Wade Garrett
1994 defender 90
Those are the spots on my defender that are rusted.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 06:17 PM
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

My 110 is a Defender rust textbook. Consider yourself very lucky.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:11 PM
95 D90
Here you go.
Attached Images

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat