Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 8th, 2013, 09:06 AM
MGPete
Pete C
'95 D90 SW

Registry
RURR protocol ?

I understand the concept of the RURR, but can someone explain the expectations as far as compensation for the one making the trip. It is bound to put you out of your way to some extent, whats the protocol?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 8th, 2013, 09:46 AM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

Compensation is negotiable. I've done the RURR thing on numberous occasions, most often for no compensation and with no regrets. I have on a couple of occasions recieved parts and or some great local beer or moonshine as compensation.

It really depends on how far out of the way you are asking someone to go. One trip of mine hauling from Va to Tn, the buyer met me at a rest stop along my route to Tx so I didn't have to go out of my way at all.
Old July 8th, 2013, 09:52 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
It's up to the person who is going out of his/her way to pick up the item for the lazy SOB to set the minimum in terms of compensation needed. For example, some "transporters" may be in the very same town on business or pleasure and have absolutely no added expense to pick up the item for the member, or is driving by on their way to another destination...sometimes those people will say "don't worry about paying me, it cost me absolutely nothing" in which case the receiver should STILL give them a little something for their troubles (buy them a beer, a six pack, wine, $5-10). If the transporter again says "no thanks I don't need anything" then you just got the RURR free ticket travel. Some may do it for free, just because they rec'd RURR goods for free in the past, and are just "paying it forward" so to speak.

But if the transporter is really going out of their way to pick something up, or if they are picking up a trailered item, which would then require additional 1) tolls, 2) gas, 3) time, then the transporter should tally up what this total will be (if known), and tell the receiver these totals beforehand, if the transporter is expecing minimum compensation equal to their expenses. This gives the receiver the opportunity to weigh "RURR fees" vs. FedEx, etc.

I haven't had anything RURR'd in a long time, but I usually at least give them a 6 pack of beer, or buy them a drink or something, if they weren't expecting anything at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 8th, 2013, 10:09 AM
ranewman
Rick Newman
85 Defender 110

As said above, if its on the way or close it's not an issue for me. I have picked up a lot of stuff for others, and had stuff picked up for me. A 6 of local brew is always a good thing. Also it is kinda nice to put faces/names together when picking up/delivering....unless its Dro....
97 Disco SD "Emma" (250k and going strong)
95 P38 "Gus" RIP
99 P38 Callaway Edition #106 RIP
85 Defender 110 2.5NA "Margret"
01 D2 SE7 "Cuzn It" (blown up POS)
03 D2 SE "Fred"
Hoarder of 2.5 NAD parts
"In God we trust. Everyone else keep their fucking hands where they can be seen."
Old July 8th, 2013, 10:20 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Yeah, I think especially around the NYC area, where you can't go 100 yards without hitting a toll booth of some sort, that the receiver should know that no matter what, the transporter is incurring additional fees just for you. For example, the Holland/Lincoln Tunnels/George Washington and Verrazano Bridges from NJ to NYC are at least $13, and the mid town tunnel coming from Queens/Long Island is $7.50

http://www.panynj.gov/bridges-tunnels/tolls.html

http://web.mta.info/bandt/traffic/btmain.html#cars

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat